advertisement

Amazon deals etc

Smart TV? What's a smart TV? Ours even has an anal-ogue tuner - Pioneer 504(?) plasma, circa 2002 vintage - 5K:eek:! 50", great picture, although these days we need external Freesat & Chromecast "tuners"**, Oppo Bluray and a superb Meridian 5.1 surround system.

But the bl00dy thing keeps going - NOT EVEN ONE dead pixel - so don't even have an excuse to buy a new one.

**Hence the interest in the Fire TV thingy.
Check out the power usage, versus an LED or OLED. I bet you have probably paid more than the cost of a new TV over that time period.

Anyone seen good offers for reasonable quality portable Bluetooth speakers/ DAB radios (with controls along the top!) ?

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bose Soundlink is surprisingly good, never thought I’d point anyone to Bose but know a couple folk with them who are dead happy. £110 down from £150. That the kind of thing you’re after?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07YBNB2PS/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Thank you, yes that sort of thing. My old one has recently expired and was pretty hopeless on any case, a cheapy from the supermarket.

Alternatively, or in addition, a decent dab radio that doubles as a Bluetooth speaker would be handy in the kitchen. My current Roberts, which I'm rather fond of, crackles infuriatingly for twenty minutes after switching on before warming up and settling down.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bose Soundlink is surprisingly good, never thought I’d point anyone to Bose but know a couple folk with them who are dead happy. £110 down from £150. That the kind of thing you’re after?

Yeah, all those decent little speakers give way back more than you paid for them if you don't analyse things too much.

I see it has aux in so could sit well under my work monitor...

Is it worth getting at John Lewis for same price for 2 year warranty?
https://www.johnlewis.com/bose-soun...6AMbJ7cuxAgJLnwXmokaAhhOEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I've got one of those, had it a couple of years now, sound from it is amazing I've no idea how they do it but it's worth every penny.

I use it with my iPhone to listen to BBC sounds, it sometimes doesn't connect to the phone or drops the connection but I can always fix it.

Smart TV? What's a smart TV? Ours even has an anal-ogue tuner - Pioneer 504(?) plasma, circa 2002 vintage - 5K:eek:! 50", great picture, although these days we need external Freesat & Chromecast "tuners"**, Oppo Bluray and a superb Meridian 5.1 surround system.

But the bl00dy thing keeps going - NOT EVEN ONE dead pixel - so don't even have an excuse to buy a new one.

**Hence the interest in the Fire TV thingy.
I am still using a Pioneer PDP507XD that is now 14 years old. It has a superb picture and is excellent for live sports such as tennis. Its looking dated with its chunky bezel but a great picture and surprisingly good sound seems a shame to chuck it out. The modern sets that are on display that I have seen seem to have a lot of glare and are unrealistic especially with outdoor live broadcasts.

We have both terrestial and freeview satellite but we are using the Fire TV for our viewing on both our TVs - 3 if you count our holiday pad that also has a plasma screen..........

Cheers,

DV

The modern sets that are on display

It is difficult to judge a TV from a shop display. They usually have special shop display settings running to make them look impressive, the looping images are processed to enhance the effect..

Probably best to go by trusted reviews or at least see the screen showing good quality broadcast images.

Been pleased with my LG Oled 4K which replaced my Panasonic Plasma room heater with fans. Pretty sure my Electricity bill has gone down quite a bit since.

It is difficult to judge a TV from a shop display. They usually have special shop display settings running to make them look impressive, the looping images are processed to enhance the effect..

And they're always showing bloody 'Avatar'.

I am still using a Pioneer PDP507XD that is now 14 years old. It has a superb picture and is excellent for live sports such as tennis. Its looking dated with its chunky bezel but a great picture and surprisingly good sound seems a shame to chuck it out. The modern sets that are on display that I have seen seem to have a lot of glare and are unrealistic especially with outdoor live broadcasts.

We have both terrestial and freeview satellite but we are using the Fire TV for our viewing on both our TVs - 3 if you count our holiday pad that also has a plasma screen..........

Cheers,

DV

And there's the "problem", the picture is still so d@mn good on those old plasmas, despite the obsolete tuners.

We've been using a Humax Freesat box for TV viewing but it is a right PITA. Slow to navigate, sometimes it won't connect without needing a reboot; i dislike it intensely! we also have a Chromecast dongle which is fine but takes a bit of setting up the link.

And now we have the Amazon FireTV stick....it's good. it's very good, even SWMBO says it's good. i think the days of the Humax & Chromecast boxes are definitely numbered.

I'm buying a computer desk from Amazon for home working. Not a Black Friday deal but £20 cheaper than elsewhere I've found.

Edit: The pfm tag didn't originally appear but is there now.

General Amazon Black Friday link for anyone not interested in specific products, though entering via any Amazon.co.uk link on pfm will work (other nationalities far less so).

General Amazon Black Friday link for anyone not interested in specific products, though entering via any Amazon.co.uk link on pfm will work (other nationalities far less so).

note this doesn't sign you in, and if you are a prime member you won't get early access to any deals as you won't be signed jn

note this doesn't sign you in, and if you are a prime member you won't get early access to any deals as you won't be signed jn

I remained signed in to Amazon using the above link. Perhaps because I have added the Amazon cookies to the Chrome browser whitelist.

advertisement

Back