advertisement

Amazon deals etc

this is just so generalised. We shop all the time from Amazon - this week at least 4 things, and always I check the price and it is rarely more expensive
It's usually much more expensive for plumbing and electrical stuff. Having said that I'm happy to pay the premium for fast delivery and convenience if I can't get to the builders merchants.

I think Spike and hifilover need to send me a bottle each of their preferred. Happy to help adjudicate...

Seriously gentlemen with these things just remember YMMV. Whatever floats your boat and all that. Not necessarily a right and wrong answer etc.

<moderating>
Actually, there is a right answer and it is a bottle of this in my amazon wish list right now in the hope my kids will club together.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Brian,
Not tried it. Was partial to Remy VSOP and XO. However, I thought VSOP went down in quality recently. Still enjoyed. What’s it like compared to a VSOP?

I’m miles off being expert. While I prefer the VSOP I enjoy them all and switch, never repeating the last buy.

why?, it is the truth, and applies to us. I have no interest in your shopping habits
But I'm one of those you refer to, surely, which gives the lie to your statement. Or by "we" do you refer to your household rather than to the members of this forum? Could even be that you're using the Royal we?

But I'm one of those you refer to, surely, which gives the lie to your statement. Or by "we" do you refer to your household rather than to the members of this forum? Could even be that you're using the Royal we?

why on earth would "we" refer to anyone other than my partner and I.

I loathe Amazon for its treatment of staff and for its behaviour on tax, however I use it a lot and am a Prime member. The main reason I shop there is that their refund and return policies are second to none and I never have arguments with miserly people in shops about returning things either because they don't do what I need them to do, don't work or don't fit. I don't return much, but when I do it is stunningly easy.

As an example I bought an expensive Logitech keyboard and mouse set (£129) almost two years ago from PC World. The keyboard now has a problem with several keys not working. I do not have the receipt because if I kept the receipt for every retail transaction I have made in the past 2 years I would be knee deep in paperwork in the house. I now have the unenviable task of getting PC World to honour a 2 year warranty which they probably won't do without proof of purchase. Actually I have just purchased a replacement keyboard - this time from Amazon!

By contrast I bought a small dehumidifier from Amazon earlier this year for use in a damp wardrobe. It has just failed. I logged on to Amazon chat, they sent me a return code for use at my local post office and the refund is probably already in my account!

Also for years I have struggled to get footwear to fit my size 12 feet on the high street. I needed slippers, ordered 2 pairs from Amazon, returned the pair that didn't fit as well and never had to trawl around the high street trying to find shoes to fit at a succession of small shoe shops.

The only local stores I still make an effort to support are HMV and local record stores, Hi-fi shops, WH Smith/Waterstones/bookshops, plus John Lewis whose customer service has always been second to none. Frankly most other shops have made the high street shopping experience an absolute misery over the years with lousy customer service, poor stock levels, inflated prices and a bad attitude if you want to return anything while fawning over you when you're buying (especially clothes shops!

The world has changed and Prime membership in particular has spoiled me. I have ordered stuff at 7pm in the evening and it's been delivered at 10.30am the following morning and I live in the wilds of Sussex. That is a very compelling service offering indeed.

Birdseed

I agree about Amazon's customer service. We bought a guidebook for Copenhagen for our younger daughter, but by mistake ordered two. I asked about returning the duplicate copy; Amazon told me I could keep it and refunded me the same day.

I loathe Amazon for its treatment of staff and for its behaviour on tax, however I use it a lot and am a Prime member. The main reason I shop there is that their refund and return policies are second to none and I never have arguments with miserly people in shops about returning things either because they don't do what I need them to do, don't work or don't fit. I don't return much, but when I do it is stunningly easy.

As an example I bought an expensive Logitech keyboard and mouse set (£129) almost two years ago from PC World. The keyboard now has a problem with several keys not working. I do not have the receipt because if I kept the receipt for every retail transaction I have made in the past 2 years I would be knee deep in paperwork in the house. I now have the unenviable task of getting PC World to honour a 2 year warranty which they probably won't do without proof of purchase. Actually I have just purchased a replacement keyboard - this time from Amazon!

By contrast I bought a small dehumidifier from Amazon earlier this year for use in a damp wardrobe. It has just failed. I logged on to Amazon chat, they sent me a return code for use at my local post office and the refund is probably already in my account!

Also for years I have struggled to get footwear to fit my size 12 feet on the high street. I needed slippers, ordered 2 pairs from Amazon, returned the pair that didn't fit as well and never had to trawl around the high street trying to find shoes to fit at a succession of small shoe shops.

The only local stores I still make an effort to support are HMV and local record stores, Hi-fi shops, WH Smith/Waterstones/bookshops, plus John Lewis whose customer service has always been second to none. Frankly most other shops have made the high street shopping experience an absolute misery over the years with lousy customer service, poor stock levels, inflated prices and a bad attitude if you want to return anything while fawning over you when you're buying (especially clothes shops!

The world has changed and Prime membership in particular has spoiled me. I have ordered stuff at 7pm in the evening and it's been delivered at 10.30am the following morning and I live in the wilds of Sussex. That is a very compelling service offering indeed.

Birdseed

Prime Wardrobe is a blessing IMO

7 days free to try on and send back what doesn't fit etc...

Like you; I've size 12 feet, Amazon has come up trumps every time for stuff like slippers, trainers (usually Meindl, Merrell, InoV8 etc) and has come up great recently when trying to find a simple fleece jumper that'll fit me due to my build etc...

advertisement

Back