1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Photos

Discussion in 'photo' started by SteveS1, Dec 28, 2019.

1. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Having just downloaded all my photos from Flickr Pro following the CEO letter, I'm looking for a new host. Anyone tried Amazon Photos (already a Prime member). It seems to be that or iCloud as options.

2. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I’d take iCloud. Ban Amazon and Google please.

Photobucket and Flickr really shot themselves in the foot.

3. Stuart Frazer

Stuart Frazer pfm Member

I couldn't get on with iCloud/iTunes and switched to Google and an Android Phone. I've found it okay for £17.99 / year and 100GB.

4. SteveS1

Falls at first fence until they (Amazon) sorts the ability to easily arrange photo order within albums. Pretty basic stuff. The search continues.

5. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

I really don't see why you wouldn't stay with a service that does everything that you seem to be looking for.

6. SteveS1

Have you read the letter?

7. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I don't use any photo or cloud service for personal photos, so I don't know anything beyond the CEO claiming the brand can't continue operating at a loss.

Is there something else to it?

Bananahead likes this.
  8. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Yes. Of course.

9. SteveS1

Good, then you'll see why someone might be concerned not to rely on them and use someone who isn't issuing letters like that.

10. SteveS1

No, it's not really a concern for someone who doesn't use them. Not sure why you ask.

11. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

I'm sorry for requesting clarification, I didn't realize that's frowned upon. I'm only trying to understand what it is about the letter that's compelled you to drop a service given that you answered someone else's question with "have you read the letter?"

Bananahead likes this.
  12. SteveS1

OK an even fuller explanation. The CEOs letter points to the possibility that they will have to pull the plug. I have plenty of scans and photos with them and would not like to suddenly find myself unable to recover them. It may be a small possibility, but having seen that letter one could hardly say there was no warning.

I have downloaded them all and backed them up. For the time being I'll continue the account because the access on all devices in any location with internet access is very useful. I already have an Amazon Prime account so the cost to move would be zero. I don't begrudge paying Flickr for the Pro account but it seems there are not enough of us. The Prime facility looks good but unfortunately wouldn't cut it at the moment because it lacks some basic function.

Doing as you do in isolation wouldn't give me the access and additional back-up solution that I'm happy with.

Marky-Mark likes this.
  13. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Yahoo were going to close Flickr if they didn't find a buyer. Smugmug are honest about the situation. Nobody can provide a service without that service being paid for. They just need a few more users - as the letter says.

A better response is to tell all of your friends what a great service they provide - and they do - instead of thinking about abandoning them.

And always keep multiple copies of any pictures anyway.

14. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

So why not pay the sub if the sesrvice is useful.

15. SteveS1

Not sure who that is aimed at, I pay as a Pro Member that is not the issue.

16. hc25036

hc25036 pfm Member

Stopped using Amazon when they released a (very average) backup app and then dropped support for any 3rd party backup program. The Amazon app left me needing to start again with an estimated 13 days to complete the upload!

I switched OneDrive and kept the 3rd party app.

17. nikiti

nikiti Member

why to ban google? I am using it and I must say I am very happy with their service...why not an option?

18. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Google are the real world’s dictators today, unfortunately. I hate using my Chromecast, but what else can you get for so little and that works flawlessly? Mmmm. Compromises ;)