advertisement

amazon on Channel 4 news

Mick,

This thread is about how Amazon treats its workers like piles of shite -- in fact, Amazon doesn't even allow them enough time to take a proper shit -- not what shiny toy some Amazon purchasing manager you know has bought.

You crapped, man, like a troll doing a crap dance.

Joe

What's a value-add job?

Joe

Joe

Stop trolling - you are a mod.

Mick
Joe's post isn't trolling, this is a classic troll post:

Chaps

A few years ago I had lunch with the Purchasing Manager of Amazon. He rolled up in a XK8 and treated me to a very good lunch with plenty of brandy's to wash it down. He certainly was not skint.

Just proves the point - get yourself trained in a value add job or be a pleb.

Regards

Mick

Mick,

This thread is about how Amazon treats its workers like piles of shite -- in fact, Amazon doesn't even allow them enough time to take a proper shit -- not what shiny toy some Amazon purchasing manager you know has bought.

You crapped, man.

Joe

Joe

I genuinely value your opinion, unlike Greg who who is just a jerk who argues endlessly for the sake of it with people he dislikes such as me and Steven Toy. I just wish he would sling his hook.

I still cannot see that I have trolled, I honestly cannot, I have merely stated that the workers have no skill and have to take jobs with very few perks or privileges because they are competing with thousands of others who are willing to put up with these conditions in order to secure employment.

It may not be morally right but it is a fact.

Regards

Mick

Joe

I genuinely value your opinion, unlike Greg who who is just a jerk who argues endlessly for the sake of it with people he dislikes such as me and Steven Toy. I just wish he would sling his hook.
tough luck, Mick.

Your posts are sadly too often just dull, repetitive, trolling and it's not just my opinion. I miss your more nuanced, dry-humoured pfm persona.

I'd add that the bit in bold is rather childish ad hom, too (and terrible grammar, as Mull might delight in telling you :)

Mick,

A very profitable company is maintaining its profitability through means I would think every reasonable person would say are reprehensible. This is very much a different thing from, say, gaining the skills it takes to be in demand and do well for yourself. That I think is self-evident: gain the skills employers need or the skills it takes to be your own boss.

It seems to me that the point of Nigel's post was to discuss the sorts of reprehensible things Amazon is doing, not that if you're employed further up the corporate ladder you can buy shiny things and have nice lunches. If it weren't for the poor feckers filling Amazon boxes with our orders those higher up wouldn't have have a job there at all, let alone a value-added one.

Joe

An rather timely bit of research:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...nish-you-if-youre-not-says-study-8744009.html

"New research has challenged the notion that evolution favours self-interest above co-operation, suggesting instead that selfish individuals eventually ‘compete each other out of existence’.

The study, published in the journal Nature, used models of evolutionary game theory (EGT) to show how co-operative populations are more successful than selfish ones in the long run.

Researchers used computers to play through vast numbers of “games” simulating scenarios of co-operation and betrayal. By tweaking the strategies of the virtual players they were then able to compare which behaviours resulted in survival.

The study pitched players following so-called “zero determinant” strategies (those who acted selfishly) against others taking more benevolent approaches. While the selfish strategists enjoyed a brief advantage, opponents eventually came to recognise and overcome selfish individuals.

“Communication is critical for cooperation – we think communication is the reason co-operation occurs,” said Christoph Adami, a professor at Michigan State University and the lead author of the paper. “In an evolutionary setting, with populations of strategies, you need extra information to distinguish each other.

“We found evolution will punish you if you’re selfish and mean. For a short time and against a specific set of opponents, some selfish organisms may come out ahead. But selfishness isn’t evolutionarily sustainable.”
". . .

Mick,

And calling someone a jerk is against the AUP. More to the point, a decent chap shouldn't resort to name calling to make a point.

Joe

<moderating>

In one thread we've had a troll post / thread-crap and some petty name-calling long before the bottom of page 2. It is therefore safe to conclude Mick's comprehension skills when it comes to this site's AUP are somewhat lacking. Note to Mick: read the bloody AUP!

An rather timely bit of research:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/s...nish-you-if-youre-not-says-study-8744009.html

"New research has challenged the notion that evolution favours self-interest above co-operation, suggesting instead that selfish individuals eventually ‘compete each other out of existence’.

The study, published in the journal Nature, used models of evolutionary game theory (EGT) to show how co-operative populations are more successful than selfish ones in the long run.

Researchers used computers to play through vast numbers of “games” simulating scenarios of co-operation and betrayal. By tweaking the strategies of the virtual players they were then able to compare which behaviours resulted in survival.

The study pitched players following so-called “zero determinant” strategies (those who acted selfishly) against others taking more benevolent approaches. While the selfish strategists enjoyed a brief advantage, opponents eventually came to recognise and overcome selfish individuals.

“Communication is critical for cooperation – we think communication is the reason co-operation occurs,” said Christoph Adami, a professor at Michigan State University and the lead author of the paper. “In an evolutionary setting, with populations of strategies, you need extra information to distinguish each other.

“We found evolution will punish you if you’re selfish and mean. For a short time and against a specific set of opponents, some selfish organisms may come out ahead. But selfishness isn’t evolutionarily sustainable.”
". . .

Of course, all sensible people knew that already. :)

If we can work out Mick and Chris's wave length and time lag them by half a cycle, perhaps they'll just cancel each other out. We should get some of the chaps at Bose on to that.

This has been getting worse since I first saw companies setting impossible targets and treating staff with contempt in the late 80s.

There has been a marked shift towards this style of management who rule by fear. A key point is that I witnessed them actually enjoying the power of sacking people on a daily basis. It was used as a warning to other staff not to feel settled in the role.

The personnel department, appraisal and grievance procedure were replaced by an agressive manager who was quite happy to say if you dont like it you can **** off.

Many firms dont want people staying because its more convenient to have a high turnover and agency staff
The bonus is that nobody reaches the 2 year? time period where some rights are acquired.

These poor workers are not motivated by reward or job satisfaction. They are motivated by fear of the job centre.

For all the union bashers this is the opposite extreme when workers have no rights at all.

Chaps

A few years ago I had lunch with the Purchasing Manager of Amazon. He rolled up in a XK8 and treated me to a very good lunch with plenty of brandy's to wash it down. He certainly was not skint.

Just proves the point - get yourself trained in a value add job or be a pleb.

Regards

Mick

Just to avoid revealing yourself as a complete dick, would you be willing to give us a brief resume of your own academic qualifications?

the way amazon is acting is awful i work with some very talanted guys in a studio and we work at least 72 hours per week,Lunch what is that we are lucky to grab a sarnie and drink

advertisement

Back