advertisement

Amazon Music HD (plug)

Tony L

Administrator
Given a lot of folk here enjoy streaming I’m actually going to plug this for a while is there is a good promotion on for both new sign-ups and from an affiliate perspective (pfm makes a decent fee per sign-up). So, here’s a link: Amazon Music HD.

PS Please feel free to discuss the content etc! I’ve no idea how the available library compares to other equivalents such as Apple, Qobus, Spotify or whatever, I’m just plugging it as there is a good affiliate rate at present and as it is HD some here may well be interested. I still buy records and CDs!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm on a free trial and have stopped paying for Tidal and Spotify Premium. At the end of the trial I will use above link to sign up. As I already have Prime, there is a reduced up-front payment which gives Music HD at approx Spotify Premium/Std Tidal costs. Sound is excellent but range is not Spotify-extensive nor does it have as-good recommendation algorithms. Also DLNA not currently supported so having to compromise using a Chromecast Audio on optical out into my Audionet streamer amp's on-board DAC, not ideal but very acceptable sound. For my loft system I have bough a Klipsch R-Play streamer that supports Amazon with non-optional variable line out running direct into my Linx monoblocks - stonkingly good sound!

Pity Amazon don't actually give a shit about your being able to listen to the stuff through anything but their own crap. No way I'm going to bother with their hrnstuff without an ability to get it to my DAC without it having been forced through an Amazon device or os mixer

Surely that is the case with every streaming service on the planet? This is streaming, not ownership, so you can’t have the ‘files’ as you don’t own the music. As I understand it they’ll all (Amazon, Spotify etc) work via a standard web browser, maybe with a DRM plug-in of some kind to prevent theft. Certainly don’t confuse streaming with HD Tracks or whatever where you are actually buying the album for your own use. That is an entirely different licensing model, and far more similar to vinyl, CD, SACD etc.

Surely that is the case with every streaming service on the planet? This is streaming, not ownership, so you can’t have the ‘files’ as you don’t own the music. As I understand it they’ll all (Amazon, Spotify etc) work via a standard web browser, maybe with a DRM plug-in of some kind to prevent theft. Certainly don’t confuse streaming with HD Tracks or whatever where you are actually buying the album for your own use. That is an entirely different licensing model, and far more similar to vinyl, CD, SACD etc.

No confusion, I fully understand streaming, howecer, in Amazon's case you cannot get their streamed audio to your DAC unfettered. As far asTas idI know they dohdo not have any devices that will enable the audio stream to pass through to your DAC without having first been passed through their devices, downsampled to what the device can handle and then sent on to one's DAC.

Again I don’t understand your definition of “unfettered”. All streaming I have seen (Spotify, Tidal, Apple Music etc) requires the use of either an app or a web browser, i.e. it all goes via a computer, phone or tablet OS. Even the “dedicated” stuff like the old Logitec Slim thing was conceptually no different to an Apple AE or Google thingy. It needs to be this way due to DRM etc. I would assume Amazon HD will interface to your DAC via your computer USB or optical out, just like all its competitors. Surely? Web browser or app, what is the difference?

From what i have read it seems to be very difficult to stream files to non heos products.
Certainly high rez files.
Anyone had any success?

I cannot get it to send anything but 48.0 khz when connected directly via usb2.0.
Could be my pc is incapable of outputting higher than this.

What OS etc? Often the sample rate is defined in the OS somewhere, e.g. with MacOS you’ll find a lot of it needs configuring/tweaking in the ‘Audio & MIDI’ utility.

PS I’m saying this as a general digital audio point, I know nothing about high-res subscription streaming!

Trying tidal now on 3 month trial.
Easy to set up, streams to chromecast and works with sb touch!
Sound quality seems better.

advertisement

Back