advertisement

Amazon Fire 7, Can it do any audio tasks?

wulbert

pfm Member
Have been offered an Amazon Fire 7 (with special offers).

Is this just a piece of junk designed to generate an income for Amazon (as I suspect) or can it do anything useful, like run Spotify, Tidal, MusicCast etc?

I like to avoid using my phone when listening to streaming, thought this gadget might be able to operate as a remote control or sommat?

You can get rid of the ads and make it a 'normal' android tablet very easily for free and 10 mins (if you have a pc/laptop). Google fire toolbox.
Then you can load Tidal, Spotify, any app you like from Google.

You can get rid of the ads and make it a 'normal' android tablet very easily for free and 10 mins (if you have a pc/laptop). Google fire toolbox.
Then you can load Tidal, Spotify, any app you like from Google.

Sounds interesting. I was planning to just punt it, then wondered if it would do anything useful.

Would it work as a Roon remote? I fancy another free Roon trial to see how my new Yamaha WXC-50 streamer might sound with Roon.

I have a Amazon Fire 7 and use it with Bubble UPnP to control the foobar2000 UPnP renderer on my Windows 10 PC to stream Tidal. Well worth the £30 it cost. If you use Amazon don't use your "real" account details; set up a dummy account with bogus details that you'll never use as an account is required to activate the device. Putting Google Play on it is child's-play.

Still going strong after 2 years.

I have a Amazon Fire 7 and use it with Bubble UPnP to control the foobar2000 UPnP renderer on my Windows 10 PC to stream Tidal. Well worth the £30 it cost. If you use Amazon don't use your "real" account details; set up a dummy account with bogus details that you'll never use as an account is required to activate the device. Putting Google Play on it is child's-play.

Good tips. Thank you

Sounds interesting. I was planning to just punt it, then wondered if it would do anything useful.

Would it work as a Roon remote? I fancy another free Roon trial to see how my new Yamaha WXC-50 streamer might sound with Roon.

Your Yamaha is not Roon Ready, so you'd be limited to Airplay.

Your Yamaha is not Roon Ready, so you'd be limited to Airplay.

Fair enough, Airplay is enough for now.

Thing is, I can't see any way to get the Fire 7 to use Airplay. No audio controls that I can find, other than the two volume up/down buttons. Would I need to purchase an App to make the Fire 7 do Airplay? ( If so, I'll probably just punt it)

Thanks, I looked into that stuff. You need a PC, which I don't have. Plus I hate all that faffing about with gadgets.

Good tip about the dummy account! Thanks.

advertisement

Back