Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon Black Friday 2021

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tony L, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Gerard124

Gerard124 pfm Member

2. windhoek

windhoek The Phoolosopher

Just ordered The Sopranos blu ray boxset for £40 from Amazon, couldn't help myself :)

narabdela likes this.
  3. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

4. matt j

matt j pfm Member

calorgas likes this.
  5. colinp

colinp pfm Member

6. windhoek

As well as discounting Fire Sticks for Black Friday, Amazon is also giving 20% off when you trade in an old Fire Stick. I've got a 1st gen fire Stick that's essentially too slow to be considered fully operational, but trading it in against the 4K Fire Stick for example, brings the final price down to £20, give or take a penny or two. The 20% off offer can be found beneath the Add To Basket button.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08XVVPXX4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Thanks for that. I've been thinking of updating my Fire stick anyway :)

8. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

Is that a decent-for-the-money one? I could do with a pillar drill, but for very limited and basic use. The sub £120 ones seem to get mixed reviews but might be fine for me although I'm loathe to get anything too cheap as we all know the expression about buying cheap..

9. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

I just ordered a new kitchen radio (aka System 2), as my 10 year old Pure One Elite is getting very sticky (as they all do) on the black rubbery finish.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075TKKXB5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
    Considered a Roberts Stream 94, but with bluetooth, I can do that from my phone anyway, and the white suits the kitchen better. £25 or so off, so not bad.
    (I know I have had the old radio for 10 years, as I got it for my 50th.....guess how old I am tomorrow?)

10. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

70?

11. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

As Thomas Dolby once said - Close...but no cigar.

gintonic likes this.
  12. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

oh 80 then.......I've run out of fingers and toes now :D

13. colinp

colinp pfm Member

I suggest that you look at a few YouTube reviews to decide. For me, the advantages over some of the cheaper ones:
    1. Portable and lighter
    2. Electronic speed control (no belts to move around)
    3. Electronic depth gauge

steveinspain likes this.
  14. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

You could have saved yourself even more by buying some ‘Sticky Stuff Remover’, made by De-Solv-It. We’ve had a few things go sticky like that, including parts of a small case and an inexpensive pair of binoculars. Drop of Sticky Stuff Remover and a little elbow grease and you’re sorted.

Mick

15. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

You can't undercut amazon's price if you sell direct and by 3rd party on amazon, the contract includes a clause where you have to rebate them the difference

16. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

It looks to have a number of nice features but on a cusory look at the spec I didn`t see the throat depth and it looks limited.

Not that I`m in the market as I have a couple of nice Meddings, one floor standing and one bench mounting, or I will have when my new garage is built and I have somewhere to put them.

17. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

The only real fix for this type of finish is to completely strip it from the whole case.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125530&page=1

18. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

Thanks - that's just what I've been doing and I'm sold. I've got one in my basket.

19. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

Some 'soft touch' plastics go sticky because stuff leaches out. We have a JLP kitchen radio, and a couple of remotes, that have had this happen. A paste made of bicarbonate of soda, rubbed over the surface, seems to be quite effective.

Wolfmancatsup likes this.
  20. windhoek

It turns out you need to send in your old device for appraisal before the 20% discount promotion off a new Fire Stick can be applied. Bummer, because by the time they receive mine, appraise it and apply 20% off, the price of the Fire Sticks will have gone back up. I wish I'd bottomed that out at the start of the week. Damn.

EDIT: I'm gonna go through the trade-in process anyway and see if I can't snag the 4k Max one at the same price around Christmas time, but with the extra 20% off.