advertisement

Amazing use of Reel to Reel tape decks.......

Look up Robert Fripp's Frippertronics as another brilliant use of two R2R decks for creating analogue loops...

Look up Robert Fripp's Frippertronics as another brilliant use of two R2R decks for creating analogue loops...
Lots of people used this system before Fripp decided to call it Frippertronics, for example Terry Riley's Poppy Nogood and The Phantom Band makes use of a similar delay system, and, of course, Brian Eno (eg Discrete Music) who gave the idea to Fripp.

Lots of people used this system before Fripp decided to call it Frippertronics, for example Terry Riley's Poppy Nogood and The Phantom Band makes use of a similar delay system, and, of course, Brian Eno (eg Discrete Music) who gave the idea to Fripp.

That makes sense given how closely Fripp and Eno worked together across a number of bands/artists/projects in the late 70s.

My favourite of the Fripp output is God Safe the Queen/Under Heavy Manners with added David Byrne, another Eno connection....

Ron Geesin also used the same setup in 1969 probably after Terry and definitely before Brian.

I got all sorts of crap from Mr Anderson, Head of Music, when I did this sort of thing with the School's Tandberg deck, too many years ago to enumerate now.

Some wild after school sessions in the Music Block.

advertisement

Back