advertisement

Amazing site donation (Chord Mojo2/Poly & case): Auction ends tonight 7:00pm UK time

Tony L

Administrator
53203302651_44e9543af6_b.jpg

Auction ends 22 October 7:00pm UK time.

I have to admit from the outset I’m at a loss for words with this one! I have received a brand new, sealed Chord Mojo2, Chord Poly and a lovely leather case to raise some funds for pfm. The case isn’t sealed from Chord, so I did open that for the photo, the other items are both factory sealed.

All completely legit. The donor wishes to remain anonymous, but will be revealed to whoever buys it so it can be formally registered with Chord (they are a dealer).

I’ve not decided the best way to approach this sale yet, i.e. whether to just set a price, or to set a sensible start point and allow bids over that. I do know that is about £870 or so sitting on the rug right in front of me. I also know I’d offer a fair bit for it myself, so the starting point won’t be too low!

Any interest?

PS Thank you so much to everyone who has donated to pfm over the past couple of months, truly exceptional generosity to the extent I’ve certainly covered the annual server costs etc. It is so appreciated.

Edit/update: lot now also includes a 1.5m Chord Shawline 3.5mm to RCA cable. This is another £200+ to the value. Pictures later in the thread.

Last edited:
Any ideas/comments regarding how best to proceed with this lovely set? I’m initially very reluctant to split it, though I may consider doing so in reverse order (i.e. case first, Poly next, DAC last as it is the stand-alone part).

PS This thread wasn’t meant as an announcement, it is fully open discussion/participation.

It’s a very generous donation from the dealer, thanks to them:)

Try to sell it as a combo first. Maybe set an opening bid and a duration. Unless a fishie is after this and wishes to make an offer eg 10% off RRP?

How about offering it at age of pink fish off. If first post was 2003 then sell at 30% discount for example. But prioritise sale to previous donator somehow. That way you reward somebody's loyalty and support as it were and you still get 70% return or so.

Try to sell it as a combo first. Maybe set an opening bid and a duration. Unless a fishie is after this and wishes to make an offer eg 10% off RRP?

Yes, I think that is the trajectory I’ll take. I really, really don’t want to split it as it is such a nice, complete and useful thing. I guess it is probably worth explaining what it is:

The Mojo2 is a very nice DAC and headphone amp that can also run straight into an amp, or be used as a digital preamp, e.g. Richard (Lordsummit) runs a Mk1 Mojo with a Raspberry Pi as source straight into a Quad 306 and speakers. No need for a preamp at all.

The Poly looks to be a really cool streamer front-end, so all you need is a streaming subscription from anywhere (Tidal, Qobuz, Apple, Spotify or whoever) and a smartphone or iPad type thing and you are done. It supports Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Apple Airplay etc. Just add an amp and speakers (or active speakers or headphones) and you have a complete high quality streaming solution. The Poly also has MicroSD storage so can play files from a local source.

This is a very good complete digital front-end which can be utilised in so many different contexts. It will add a lot of very useful functionality to a lot of systems of all vintages, e.g. I bet it would be stunningly good running straight into my 1958 Leak TL12 Plus mono amps and 149s! Don’t think you need a modern system for this one, it would be an amazing way to bring a vintage system bang up to date.

PS I’ve never heard a Mojo2, but Richard’s MkI runs my £2.6k Deltec PDM3 really bloody close! It is a great sounding DAC. Totally free of ‘glare’ etc.

How about doing it as a raffle? £10 a number and use one of the random number sites to pick the winner,

Like that idea. I already have three Mk1s (don't ask!) and a Poly, so wouldn't want to pay for another, but I'd put £10 into a raffle...judging by the number of happy Mk1 users on here, there may well be many others like that?

They (Mk1) are superb by the way, and the poly/mojo pairing straight into active monitors is really good.

Wonderful donation !!

How about doing it as a raffle? £10 a number and use one of the random number sites to pick the winner, might end up with a lot more money as I’m sure some people will buy more than 1 number

Sadly I’m pretty certain that would put me in breach of all manner of legal issues. I watch Ben Crow’s Crimson Guitars channel on YouTube (recommended, he’s a good bloke) and I know they had to jump through all manner of tedious international legal hoops before being able to do their regular guitar raffle thing. A raffle is technically gambling, with all the regulation and international jurisdiction issues that come with that. I’m sure it would put me in breach of various contracts I have in place too (the site ads etc).

I think I’m just going to set a start-point, possibly £650-700 and look for offers over and that for a period of say a month. As stated upthread I think its a great product as I’ve heard Richard’s MkI many, many times in differing contexts, so I’ve no intention of starting this one off at a price lower than I’d pay to own it myself!

Let me think more overnight and I’ll start it off tomorrow. Obviously other ideas still welcome.

simple auction, start at £1 and you post your higher offer in the thread. After 1 week the thread gets locked and the last highest bid wins.

simple auction, start at £1 and you post your higher offer in the thread. After 1 week the thread gets locked and the last highest bid wins.

I think that is the approach I’ll take, but I’ll start off with my own bid, which is £600, bid increments thereafter at £25. I won’t bid again, so just think of that as a reserve price. I really don’t want to risk this going at a price I’d very happily keep it myself! I don’t want to bid once the auction is going, as that would be intensely crooked! I think this is fair and above board.

PS I’ve changed the bid increments to £25 as I think that will be more fun. I’ll start it off tomorrow as I’m still flexible on ideas at this point.

Start at £800 and work downwards at £20 a day? Who bites first, rather than last? Price change at an accessible time like 8pm?

That’s quite an interesting idea! Though again I’d have to set the reserve. I think on balance I’d prefer to set my reserve and run it unattended as a conventional auction for quite a while. One thing I learned ages ago running the record shop is stuff sells, but not necessarily right now. I sold a record the other day that I’m sure has been in my list for getting on for 20 years (an A House 12”, and a pretty good one too)! I’m obviously not going to run this for that long, but I’m certainly tempted to give it a full month. This isn’t a cheap item, folk need time to think, plus it may fit better around payday or whatever. It will also give more people time to see the thread who only pop into pfm every week or so. It is also fairly traditional with fundraisers to run for a while. Obviously this runs the risk of no bids until the last day, and then some may even forget. No right way really and I always over-think these things!

How about doing it as a raffle? £10 a number and use one of the random number sites to pick the winner, might end up with a lot more money as I’m sure some people will buy more than 1 number
That’s a good idea. About time we all coughed up a few quid to contribute to this site. I’d happily buy a raffle ticket for £10 or £20 with no expectation of winning.

That’s a good idea. About time we all coughed up a few quid to contribute to this site. I’d happily buy a raffle ticket for £10 or £20 with no expectation of winning.

Likewise, I can't afford to buy it as a one off but would be very happy to chuck in a tenner or more with no expectation etc. Hypothetically speaking do you think a raffle would raise more funds than a one-off sale?

People can click the donate button at any stage with no expectation of winning anything just making sure PFM keeps on keeping on.

.sjb

Apologies if you didn't mean it this way but as it came directly after my comment it felt like a bit of a low blow. I make lot's of donations without expecting anything in return. I just saw this thread as a bit of a discussion on a fundraising event.

Apologies if you didn't mean it this way but as it came directly after my comment it felt like a bit of a low blow. I make lot's of donations without expecting anything in return. I just saw this thread as a bit of a discussion on a fundraising event.

Apologies, nothing aimed at you, (or any particular individual) I just thought perhaps some people might not be aware of the donation button and was just drawing attention to it.

I was here for quite some time before I knew about it.

.sjb

If any of the mods have a connection to the WAM, maybe a sale at their forthcoming show in October with a suitable commission to the supported charity could raise awareness - just a thought

What a fantastic donation for some very nice gear. Very well done whoever donated :)
I am sure there will be lots of interest, as you say Tony, no rush, the right person will do well, and so should pfm!

advertisement

Back