advertisement

amazing audio upgrade for ~$46!

Just had the Du Pre set arrive on my desk with a big 'old chocolate cake topped w/fifty three candles and vanilla ice cream. Got the next two days off and no plans other than spinning tunes...ahhhh.

Happy birthday, Dave.

Was it a regular cake or did dancing girls pop out of it?

Joe

I'm listening to some of these (oistrakh) right now. Very impressed though I can't hear richard d james in the background.

I have upgraded twice more since this thread was first posted — I've installed the Du Pré and Stokowski series of mods on my CD player.

About 90 Canuck clams in total for 27 mods.

Joe

Joe,

Same here with the Du Pre mod and it's fab. I went one step further and added a squeezebox touch further securing my commitment to the digital brigade. It's fab as well..a *free gateway to the world's music!

regards,

dave

*well, apart from paying 260 clams to amazon for the little magical box and all.

Dave,

I haven't listened to all of the Du Pré CDs yet, but her performance of the Elgar cello concerto (disc 1) is worth the price of the box set.

Joe

I've yet to find a dud Joe in the set -the whole box is a steal. I fully agree about the Elgar Cello Concerto, I've never heard another performance that came close.

Dave,

I haven't listened to all of the Du Pré CDs yet, but her performance of the Elgar cello concerto (disc 1) is worth the price of the box set.

Joe

You can pay almost as much for just the Elgar concerto as you can for the 17 CD box, if you wanted!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elgar-Cello-Concerto-Cockaigne-Pictures/dp/B0002IPZFK/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291210669&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jacqueline-Du-Pr%C3%A9-Complete-Recordings/dp/B000V9P4YM/ref=sr_1_18?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1291210709&sr=1-18

Be sure to let us know what you think of the Stokowski.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I heard François-Frédéric Guy play the Moonlight sonata as an encore earlier this year - wonderful. He had just produced a masterly, lyrical version of the Beethoven Piano Concerto No 4.

If his recorded output is anything like his live performances, his versions would be worth looking at.

advertisement

Back