advertisement

amazing audio upgrade for ~$46!

Amazing what $46 Cdn will buy in non-audioland.

UK link

US link

Yes, this should be in the music room but some people don't venture over there.

Joe

B'gosh, Joe, for such a set, the only possible response is q'Pla! (Or, its equivalent in my native Northern Irish, yer blood's worth bottlin' (regardless of colour)).

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Basil,

Are they on the Oistrakh discs?

(My Oistrakh set hasn't arrived yet, probably because I included a CD in the order that had a long delivery time.)

Joe

Yep! He said with a certain smugness! ;-)

There are some strange ommisions, no Elgar or Bach concerti?

You ordered the Stokowski box yet?

James,

Fear not, that pic was for Joe, I watch sci fi to broaden my mind, not to leer at shapely women.

Basil,

No Leopold ordered... yet. I blew my record budget on the violin and cello blokes. I need to earn more quatloos before I buy more CDs.

Joe

Basil,

Would Booblar want me to?

Joe

P.S. Have you seen Leopold's cartoon debut?

Last edited by a moderator:
tones,

B'gosh, Joe, for such a set, the only possible response is q'Pla! (Or, its equivalent in my native Northern Irish, yer blood's worth bottlin' (regardless of colour)).
Hope you enjoy it. Have you tried any Klingon opera?

Joe

I can tell you what I like, but whether you or the missus will like them...

For Debussy: Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli, Pascal Rogé, Walter Gieseking and Claudio Arrau.

Chopin: Maurizio Pollini, Claudio Arrau, Martha Argerich.

If I were to generalise her playing and interest, it is at the romantic end of the scale, so i'd be looking for an unfashionably over the top and romantic interpretation (her teachers have generally fought and lost a battle against this tendency). So, big and over the top wins. Any of the above in that sort of direction?

If I were to generalise her playing and interest, it is at the romantic end of the scale, so i'd be looking for an unfashionably over the top and romantic interpretation (her teachers have generally fought and lost a battle against this tendency). So, big and over the top wins. Any of the above in that sort of direction?

Sounds like you may not get on with Arrau, but the others should be fine.

Nice one, tones.

Finally, I have encountered someone whose extreme Star Trek nerdery approaches mine.*

Joe

* You, too, Baz. Just don't let it go to your big Talosian head. (And don't do that thing where you project an illusion in my mind that you're scary-ass monster. It won't work.)

Nice one, tones.

Finally, I have encountered someone whose extreme Star Trek nerdery approaches mine.*

Joe

* You, too, Baz. Just don't let it go to your big Talosian head. (And don't do that thing where you project an illusion in my mind that you're scary-ass monster. It won't work.)

I could just project my monster scary-ass?

Nice one, tones.

Joe

Our girls made great strides in German by watching "Star Trek TNG", Joe. All German TV is dubbed, and the quality of the German was very good. Moreover, so were the voices. With the exception of the wonderful mellifluous tones of Patrick Stewart, we much preferred the German voices when we finally got to hear the real things. We've been to numerous exhibitions in Germany (there's a big fan following there) and to the then permanent exhibit in Las Vegas, and our elder daughter did her Matura (Swiss university entrance exam) project on Star Trek fandom. She even made it into a website. Google on "Star Trek: the fan phenomenon" and you'll find it.

tones,

All German TV is dubbed, and the quality of the German was very good.
I see what you mean.

Mein faser, on Überlastung! Sounded rot alerten, Herr Spock!

Joe

Update — The Amazon shipment arrived yesterday. I've had a chance to listen only the Bach cello suites in the Rostropovich box set so far.

Sublime.

Joe

Update — The Amazon shipment arrived yesterday. I've had a chance to listen only the Bach cello suites in the Rostropovich box set so far.

Sublime.

Joe

Not familiar with his interpretations of the Bach suites.

Just played the 'Carmina Burana' from the Stokowski box. I can't improve on the review from amazon.

That old warhorse, Carmina Burana, may well have you sitting up in your seat, too. The very first bars come as a shock with the `a' of `Fortuna' cut off extremely short by the choir. The crispness and clarity in the singing are characteristic of the whole performance: there are many caesuras used to great effect throughout and the tempi are often markedly different from what we've become used to. The rich upholstery of the strings under the soprano's In trutina is almost worth the price of the discs alone. But it seems to me all absolutely honest to the faux naivete of Orff's writing with the emphasis on clarity at all times.

Go on, buy it now! Go on, go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on!

Basil,

The Leopold box set is unavailable in Canada, so I'll have to wait until Amazon.ca stocks it. When it arrives I'll get it along with the Du Pré box set.

Joe

When the Du Pre box arrives, head directly to the Beethoven piano trios, talking of Beethoven, which of the two violin concerti on the Oistrakh box do you prefer?

Basil,

I slightly prefer the Beethoven violin concerto on disc 4 to one of disc 3, but it's odd that the EMI included two recordings of the same concerto in the box set.

Joe

advertisement

Back