advertisement

AM/SW radio interference

cooky1257

pfm Member
Have a small home studio set up into a mac mini over usb. For the first few days it was fine but since yesterday i'm getting strong radio breakthrough via the mic channels.It's not one station but lots all at once. I've moved the kit, swapped/ moved leads(klotz and VD), tried ferrite cores, changed usb leads, swapped condenser for dynamic mic all without success.

Is this just odd atmospherics that will go-it came out the blue(literally!)?

Record it, there's a reason for everything.

What interface are you using? Try it into another PC.

Paul

I don't want to record it-that's the point!
Interface is a usb powered Alesis io2.
It's so bad today I've shifted everything to a macbook Air and the problem has gone away.
I can only guess the rats nest of power cables under my computer table has been acting as one big aerial.

In my experience of speech recording, interference is usually due to a bad connection, either a switch, a cable thats partly broken, etc.

I f you really do have a jumble of wires then I suggest you check those out and tidy them up|

maybe you have a bad earth / shielding somewhere?

Process of elimination should reveal it I guess.

Nightmare when it happens though. I've had similar, sometimes it's just one (of many!) cables not quite right,

Good luck.

I have had plenty of problems with those four way trailing mains sockets. The earth pin loses contact after a few years. Re-plugging sorts it for several months

advertisement

Back