advertisement

Am I looking at the right culprit?

The same album will almost always sound different on CD and vinyl and bass heavy tracks usually have a lot more power and definition on CD. The vinyl might actually be more natural, more true to life, but CD bass can be big fun. Nothing like rattling the whole room with those low bass guitar notes!

I’ve found MM cartridges to be sensitive to impedance, often varying from manufacturers recommendations, depending on the overall system.

Bass performance can sometimes be optimised by having the cartridge a little tail down.

Gary

So…I am a massive fan of 10000hz legend by air and grabbed a vinyl reissue having read reviews that the vinyl was far superior to the cd.
I’ve used the cd for system testing for years as I know it so well and was super excited to hear the vinyl.

Thank you for sharing this reference. I had to get it from Shopify, as I was not familiar with that band and album. Great music. So far only heard it on headphones, but will try it on the main gear later to check stereo imaging.

Due to technical limitations in how the bass as to be mastered to be played on vinyl, I would expect the first piece or third piece to have deeper and more detailed bass on digital. The second, fourth and six piece should be pretty close if not better on LP.
This type of music will be very dependent on what has been done with artistic choices from the producer to master it for vinyl and may very well be better or preferred on digital.

Any review touting one media being superior, which often only means preferred, is most of the time, talking a lot more about how each media has been mastered, than what the media “coloration” does. Most music recordings can be played equally well on TT or digital device. Records producing care and choices will make LP a more pleasurable experience if done right.

As far as culprit, I am thinking that maybe, your expectations have not been met as maybe what your were expecting as an improvement from vinyl vs CD will be better achieved with speaker placement, room treatment, which will have a magnitude more impact on what you ear than LP vs digital. Expectations can be weird that way.

Thank you for sharing this reference. I had to get it from Shopify, as I was not familiar with that band and album. Great music. So far only heard it on headphones, but will try it on the main gear when to check stereo imaging.

Due to technical limitations in how the bass as to be mastered to be played on vinyl, I would expect the first piece or third piece to have deeper and more detailed bass on digital. The second, fourth and six piece should be pretty close if not better on LP.
This type of music will be very dependent on what has been done with artistic choices from the producer to master it for vinyl and may very well be better or preferred on digital.

Well if I’ve got someone else into this album then that’s great…:D

Is it worth positioning your speakers a little closer to the wall behind them?
this can bring more bass to the party.

If you haven’t explored a bit of speaker movement, then that is a very good value path to walk.

IME, one need put 12" singles up against the equivalent CD in order to have any chance of the former approaching the bass dynamics and impact of the latter. This has less to do with absolute record deck and tonearm quality, even a well sited old 80s Planar 2 is well capable of causing one's jaw to drop should the rest of the system be up to the task.

Having owned Axis/Basik Plus for more than 20 years, I am confident that plopping such upon a Lack, with the latter positioned adjacent to a load bearing wall, well away from the 'speakers, can do Massive Attack, etc. bass with enough impact to make the neighbours feel queasy (surely the surest sign of über-bass done well!).

The same album will almost always sound different on CD and vinyl and bass heavy tracks usually have a lot more power and definition on CD. The vinyl might actually be more natural, more true to life, but CD bass can be big fun. Nothing like rattling the whole room with those low bass guitar notes!

That's interesting. (As you know from the other thread on LP12 upgrades ..) I've been trying to figure out how best to narrow the gap between my own LP12 and the Karik/Numerik. I've just realised perhaps the biggest difference in the material I have in both formats is exactly that - the clarity and impact of the bass sounds.

Must go back now and have a closer listen, check it's not my imagination :)

A significant amount of deep tuneful bass is being lost in the tone-arm.

If I were you I would start by investigating how difficult/expensive it is to eschew 0.17% wow. You might be surprised.

That's interesting. (As you know from the other thread on LP12 upgrades ..) I've been trying to figure out how best to narrow the gap between my own LP12 and the Karik/Numerik. I've just realised perhaps the biggest difference in the material I have in both formats is exactly that - the clarity and impact of the bass sounds.

Must go back now and have a closer listen, check it's not my imagination :)

I spent many a year doing this. Eventually I stopped and actually enjoy the differences more than the similarity. If the ultimate destination is they sound the same then may as well sell one of the formats now :). Please note this is not even the merest hint of criticism, indeed I thoroughly enjoyed the journey but am happy to have settled on no longer comparing them.

I've just realized perhaps the biggest difference in the material I have in both formats is exactly that - the clarity and impact of the bass sounds.

The physical limitations of the format means that vinyl has problems at both ends. That's why it has to use equalization. Without that bass and treble would be terrible/non existent. Good vinyl replay sorts it out but it's not cheap.

No the Linn Axis is the weak point.

The reality is that you need to spend a great deal more to bring a vinyl system anywhere near the quality of a half decent CDP.

A Linn Sondek with Ittock is pretty much the entry level point and even that might not do it for you.

Below that vinyl is really just for a bit of fun.

Or, assuming that the universe is bigger than Linn, ?
not really an accurate or useful post.

Any input appreciated.
I’m a fairly recent vinyl noob and whilst I love some aspects of vinyl vs cd (transparency, soundstage etc) I do find there’s a lack of punch compared to my cd set up.

I am not sure what one should say if the initial proposition is not one that makes sense! I am a vinyl enthusiast but have never claimed transparency or soundstage as a particular virtue. I think vinyl is a remarkable medium for its era, can sound superb with the right record on the right equipment, can be made from better tapes if vintage or with less damaging mastering if recent, and I also like to hear old releases as they sounded when they first appeared. The answer if trying to improve the sound is usually a better turntable!

Tim

Assuming your deck is set up properly I'd be looking at the phono stage. Last year I spent some time looking at the budget end and tried out CA Alva Duo, Rega Fono Mk3, Ify Zen and Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE. For my Goldring 1042 and my ATVM540ML I settled for the GS Gram Amp 2 SE and would have been happy with the CA Alva Duo. The other two budget phono stages sounded thin and and uninvolving in my system.

A significant amount of deep tuneful bass is being lost in the tone-arm.

If I were you I would start by investigating how difficult/expensive it is to eschew 0.17% wow. You might be surprised.
Out of interest - what’s a realistic good measurement?

Linn's speed accuracy spec for Axis was 0.1%. They didn't publish anything specific for wow and flutter, however, my ears tell me that this is as good or better than LP12 with Lingo 1; much better should anyone dare to walk round the room whilst a record is playing.

Is it worth positioning your speakers a little closer to the wall behind them?
this can bring more bass to the party.

If you haven’t explored a bit of speaker movement, then that is a very good value path to walk.
Yeah I’ve got them set quite well - just moved house so had to go through all that anyway!

advertisement

Back