advertisement

Am I looking at the right culprit?

Sich

pfm Member
Any input appreciated.
I’m a fairly recent vinyl noob and whilst I love some aspects of vinyl vs cd (transparency, soundstage etc) I do find there’s a lack of punch compared to my cd set up.

Treble to upper midrange are generally lovely but lower midrange/upper bass and below seems a little muddy and I’m definitely not getting the dynamic range I find from cd.

My vinyl set up-
Linn axis / basik plus / goldring 1012 gx
Rega fono mk 2
Naim XS 2

CD - CD5XS With Teddy Pardo power supply

Is this a fair comparison between the 2 mediums?

My gut feel is that the rega is the weak link purely based on the Hifi lore of using similar value items (comparatively) within the chain.

However, not having any previous comparisons to go on I can’t really know for sure.
Am I looking in the right place?

If so any suggestions on a worthwhile upgrade to the phono stage?

Have you tried siting the Axis on its own dedicated support?

Assuming you have the necessary space available, an IKEA Lack table can be a revelation. Initially, you might think that your bass has disappeared, only to find that when turned up a bit all is tighter and more rhythmic. Of course, the results can be affected by other environmental and system characteristics, not to mention one's taste, however, a Lack is a very cheap thing to try.

P.S. I should like to add that IME your phono stage has little to do with this.

What's your budget? I'm a big fan of the Musical Fidelity M3X Vinyl which was the single biggest upgrade I experienced from my earlier setups. A bunch of sites and mags we're giving it very positive reviews so I rolled the dice on it. Very glad I did! Previously I'd been using a first gen Schiit Mani which was ok but I didn't find it much better than the built in stage of my A-S1200.
I recently upgraded yet again to MF's flagship Nu-Vista (£3.2k). It was more of a refinement than a leap forward, The MX3 keeps up really well, still a chunk of change though at £1250 new or around £800 used.

No the Linn Axis is the weak point.

The reality is that you need to spend a great deal more to bring a vinyl system anywhere near the quality of a half decent CDP.

A Linn Sondek with Ittock is pretty much the entry level point and even that might not do it for you.

Below that vinyl is really just for a bit of fun.

No the Linn Axis is the weak point.

I agree. It's a sweet sounding turntable but nowhere near the weight and heft of an LP12. And the Basik arm is just that.

Plus, Naim CD players are bass heavy so it's hard to get them perfectly matched in a system with a turntable. To be honest, you won't get a turntable to sound quite as punchy as a Naim CD player but a good one will be preferable in every other respect. Good Vinyl is tricky and costly but totally worth it.

Have you tried siting the Axis on its own dedicated support?

Assuming you have the necessary space available, an IKEA Lack table can be a revelation. Initially, you might think that your bass has disappeared, only to find that when turned up a bit all is tighter and more rhythmic. Of course, the results can be affected by other environmental and system characteristics, not to mention one's taste, however, a Lack is a very cheap thing to try.

P.S. I should like to add that IME your phono stage has little to do with this.

I’ve been reading a bit about this. It’s on a custom bamboo rack atm saw someone playing with cut tennis balls and a shelf :D not sure the wife would appreciate that!

I agree. It's a sweet sounding turntable but nowhere near the weight and heft of an LP12. And the Basik arm is just that.

Plus, Naim CD players are bass heavy so it's hard to get them perfectly matched in a system with a turntable. To be honest, you won't get a turntable to sound quite as punchy as a Naim CD player but a good one will be preferable in every other respect. Good Vinyl is tricky and costly but totally worth it.

it’s not so much bass ‘weight’ that I want to recreate it’s a little more detail and depth. I’ve read the axis is comparative to a planar 3 would that be fair?

A better rack might improve the sound but it's not going to turn the Axis into an LP12. A different cartridge is a good suggestion but not Audio Technica. Love AT carts, both of my LP12s are wearing them, but I don't think they'll do what you're looking for.

Off the reservation suggestion but try a Rega Exact. These carts have a full, weighty sound, good dynamics and very natural tonality. I think it might be a perfect foil to the slightly lean Axis and it should work fine in the Basik arm. It's one of my favorite cartridges at any price.

What's your budget? I'm a big fan of the Musical Fidelity M3X Vinyl which was the single biggest upgrade I experienced from my earlier setups. A bunch of sites and mags we're giving it very positive reviews so I rolled the dice on it. Very glad I did! Previously I'd been using a first gen Schiit Mani which was ok but I didn't find it much better than the built in stage of my A-S1200.
I recently upgraded yet again to MF's flagship Nu-Vista (£3.2k). It was more of a refinement than a leap forward, The MX3 keeps up really well, still a chunk of change though at £1250 new or around £800 used.

So the phono stage worked for you? Do you mind me asking what your system is?

I’ve read the axis is comparative to a planar 3 would that be fair?

Yeah, maybe but they're not the same. The Axis is a lot cleaner and more neutral than a Planar3, the contemporary one anyway, but the Rega sounds more lively and punchy. I'd say that overall the Axis is the better deck but they don't sound the same. I could live with them both but, in the right system, the Axis would be my choice. Preferably with an Akito.

But I'd prefer an LP12 to either of them.

A better rack might improve the sound but it's not going to turn the Axis into an LP12. A different cartridge is a good suggestion but not Audio Technica. Love AT carts, both of my LP12s are wearing them, but I don't think they'll do what you're looking for.

Off the reservation suggestion but try a Rega Exact. These carts have a full, weighty sound, good dynamics and very natural tonality. I think it might be a perfect foil to the slightly lean Axis and it should work fine in the Basik arm. It's one of my favorite cartridges at any price.

That looks interesting. I’ve never fit a cartridge. Fiddly?

I’ve never fit a cartridge. Fiddly?

Yip :0)

If you've got good manual dexterity and are ok with fiddly things then you'll be fine but yet, it take a little care. If you decide to change carts just MP me and I'll keep you right.

As others have said, I’d look at the TT/arm/cart before the phono stage as the culprit here. How old is the belt on the Axis? Might benefit from a refresh if it’s been on for a few years.

Fitting carts is fiddly but easy enough. I always find the tags the annoying part - too tight or too loose but I’ve never broken one. Plenty of help on YouTube for setup.

As Mr P says, take your time and do it somewhere stable with good light. Of course it’s much easier for me with detachable headshells. It also depends on the cart, if it has a threaded body you’re golden.

advertisement

Back