advertisement

ALWSR Build Thread

Have you connected it up to the Hackernaps. Wondering how it sounds

I did some tests and can report that my Naim clone with these new super regulators in the front end noticeably sounds cleaner and more transparent. Other comparisons I did:

PSU: Holden+Fisher transformer (from a NAP250) with Mundorf smoothing caps // Toroidy transformer with Kemet slit foil caps. The difference I would say is a matter of taste, there was no real "better" or "worse": the H+F setup sounded more round and warm, the setup with the Kemets had a more open treble and sounded less "vintage", but both sounded great.

Power stage: supplied from Jeffs inverted regulator boards // powered directly from a raw PSU (fed from the 500VA Holden+Fisher transformer shown in this post). The unregulated output stage sounded untidy in comparison, so a clear win for the regulated amp.

The overall performance of the amp improved with the front end powered from the new super reg boards, I am very pleased :cool:

I finally succeeded to make my ALWSRs work in a PSX-R clone:

4x25jw4.jpg

There are 2 positive ALWSRs with completely independent supplies (CRC into Mr. Tibbs style gyrator), and the ALWSRs have VBEs fitted as shown here. The CRC consists of 4700uF -> 4R7 -> 4700uF: as it is followed by the cap multiplier stages I hope it's fine like that. At least I can't see ripple on my scope...

advertisement

Back