advertisement

alternatives to snaxo ?

aion1944

pfm Member
I recently posted a request re the configuring a snaxo for use with kudos 707's and so far have not been able to receive a satisfactory outcome, so I decided to bite the bullet and order a new snaxo factory configured for the kudos. today i receive a email staing that naim are no longer going to supply snaxos due to component shortages and my order cancelled ! so I now sit looking at my new speakers but not listening. does anyone know of someone who can reconfigure either my 2-4-2 or 3-6 ? after ringing withhat on numerous ocassions and not being called back I have given up. h e l p

Maybe try Les at Avondale Audio? When I had my Naim active system he modified my 362 SNAXO to great effect. Phone him, don't e-mail.

Why not just run them normal until naim are up and running with the snazo once again.
As I am not sure I would trust anyone else to get it right with the adjustment etc to make sure they 707 are running right, as do they know exactly what each out put should be?

it is unlikely that naim will get back to up & running, I have received a email from richard on the naim forum that their collaboration with kudos never reached production.

Why not just run them normal until naim are up and running with the snazo once again.
As I am not sure I would trust anyone else to get it right with the adjustment etc to make sure they 707 are running right, as do they know exactly what each out put should be?
I hear of many more errors by Naim these days that by any other hifi company.

Ask Kudos for the filter settings, ask WitchHat to change the SNAXO to suit, it will take a while but it isn't a big job if Kudos will share the settings ... "just" a few Rs and Cs swapped?

Yes, I've been in touch with WH whose lead designer actually tested SNAXOs at the factory, as did I. If Kudos supply the information it can be done. And honestly, I don't believe the component shortage bit either, unless they're prioritising production over everything else. A dedicated SNAXO would require specific cap values and careful matching and when I was building one last year could still find everything I needed.

Yes, I've been in touch with WH whose lead designer actually tested SNAXOs at the factory, as did I. If Kudos supply the information it can be done. And honestly, I don't believe the component shortage bit either, unless they're prioritising production over everything else. A dedicated SNAXO would require specific cap values and careful matching and when I was building one last year could still find everything I needed.
thanks mjs I spoke to kudos today and they seem to imply that it isn't that simple to just adjust the snaxo for the new frequencies ! I am no engineer and so cannot argue the point. I am trying to contact witchhat but with no success

Stikes me one of two things is true:

1) The person in Kudos you spoke to does not know what they are talking about :) and it is just a standard SNAXO where a few R and C changes adjust the cut off frequencies and slopes to work with Kudos speakers

2) Kudos had Naim design a whole new SNAXO circuit for them, new PCB

I know which I think is the most likely.

Either way it seems whatever arrangement Kudos had with Naim is no longer working, which is a great pity, and must be down to Kudos to resolve?

In the meantime, can Kudos assist with a loan of passive cross overs so you can at least get listening?
The Passive crossover doesn’t get removed. You just pull out a couple of external links on the crossover panel to allow active operation (with suitable active crossover/ amps)

To correctly specify and implement an active crossover for a specific speaker is WAY more difficult and complex than people seem to think.

The only way to get a crossover correct for something like the Kudos speaker involves a major design programme that would cost lots of money and take weeks of work.

People seem to have a simplistic idea that all you need to do to build an active crossover is take a look at the passive speaker spec sheet and if it says "crossover 12dB/Octave @ 2.3KHz" then you just make an active crossover to that spec... LOL!!!

Any kind of universal active crossover will always give crap results by hi fi standards... good enough for PA or car audio maybe but not hi fi.

I don't doubt you are right Jez, but Kudos seemed happy enough with a SNAXO to announce it at the Bristol show if I recall correctly, and as far as I know, all (S)NAXO variations are modified 3rd order filters as that is all you can do with the PCB. Of course you can monkey with the sections and get different responses and cut offs but it is what it is. It has been removed from the Kudos www site it seems but here is the original 2020 Bristol Show announcement.

The Passive crossover doesn’t get removed. You just pull out a couple of external links on the crossover panel to allow active operation (with suitable active crossover/ amps)
Thanks, I am Kudos ignorant and it is good to know at least the OP can listen to the beasts even if not as they had hoped.

I don't doubt you are right Jez, but Kudos seemed happy enough with a SNAXO to announce it at the Bristol show if I recall correctly, and as far as I know, all (S)NAXO variations are modified 3rd order filters as that is all you can do with the PCB. Of course you can monkey with the sections and get different responses and cut offs but it is what it is. It has been removed from the Kudos www site it seems but here is the original 2020 Bristol Show announcement.

It's likely to be poor then

update: it has now become apparent that naim will no longer provide snaxo's and perhaps other naim items to 'foreign' buyers and is restricting sales to uk only !! hopefully witchhat will come up with the possibility of configuring my existing snaxo. thanks for all the comments especially the heads up re exposure VXN

advertisement

Back