advertisement

Alternative to itunes for ipad?

naimnut

Deep in the Mines of Soul
My search on this forum turned up many threads with many references to itunes and ipads and macs. Oh, heck and golly.

My question is simple. I picked up a new ipad but do not want to import my music into itunes. I prefer the way that music files are managed on a PC.

Has anyone downloaded a convenient alternative to their ipad for downloading and managing their music? If so, any suggestions?

Thanks, in advance for any opinions.

I use something that may be just the thing, have a look in my Sig bellow. You can also use an iPad for this software and setup.

Itunes is a turd but it could still be used to catalog your music without moving or organising it, which would be tje solution you require.

I'm totally puzzled why anyone would think iTunes is anything other than quite excellent?

Easy, intuitive and all in one.

(Except the hi res people)

You can't get all that much music on the iPad itself.

I use Squeezebox for which good iPad apps exist, or you can use the browser.

Tim

I'm totally puzzled why anyone would think iTunes is anything other than quite excellent?

Easy, intuitive and all in one.

(Except the hi res people)

Apple have jumped the shark with iTunes 11.

Jriver with it's remote app is in another league altogether and shortly to be released to the Mac community.

Can't load tracks onto Idevices though.

Oh, and it plays all file types [including ISOs] and HiRes too........

I've been looking but haven't found much that fits the bill. CopyTransManager is a freeware file manager thats drag and drop and IMHO better than iTunes for that purpose if you just want to get files on the iPad ASAP. Not that you can fit much on an iPad.... and then you need a decent DAC to make it worth the bother.
JRemote for iPad will stream to the device (if you have a PC running Jriver). I stream everything from a Synology NAS and use the Synology app that comes with it on the few occassions i listen to music via the iPad.
Otherwise there's media players like OPlayer, AcePlayer etc that allow you to stream or to download media to your iPad.
Apps like FLAC Player and Golden Ears can use iTunes file sharing but as stated iTunes is a turd.
Agree that the iPad as a remote for PC based music system is brilliant, less useful as a music player itself.

advertisement

Back