advertisement

Altec 19

Chris,
The Harbeths will be gone by the weekend. Sorry for any confusion.

merlin said:
So Markus,

do you have plans to extend the bandwidth of the VOTT's in the near future or do you not miss the extremes?

Tbh I don't know yet. The most sensible plan of action would probably be to optimize what I have, and think about extending the bandwidth later. But you know, I've taken the day off and am currently listening to Monk's Briliant Corners. I know there's bandwidth missing, but the system communicates so well that I'm really not in any great hurry to change anything.

That said, I will probably try a coupe of things today, possibly involving the Loricraft phono stage I recently acquired and the S&B TVC thingie.

just picked up MJ and Tube Kingdom, MJ's 1000th issue special...Accuphase and Luxman retrospective and on TK, Altec A6/7/8 retrospective...nice!

Markus, ever heard of or listened to a german brand called Octave? looks great in a brutalist kinda way, very $$$.

notable new (at least to me) products:

DS912, Altec full range bookshelfer
Quad ESL2805 stats
very cute "Elma" attenuator
Ilungo Cresendo attentuator (www.ilungo.com)
a 1144 page book called "Western Electric Sound"!
the Altec book www.stereosound.co.jp/spi/altec
Feastrex full range speakers "semi bookshelf" www.feastrex.com
JBL Array horns (weird looking vertical horn numbers)

the Uesugi stuff looks fab! I am surprised that a mainstream tech-led brand like teac is responsible for them, http://www.teac.co.jp/av/uesugi/ut50.html

The McInphase really does seem to be making a difference :confused:
There is more and much better bass (this is pretty undeniable I think), but mid and treble also seem much more natural, with treble especially more "rounded".
No doubt I'm imagining all this, but I'd swear otherwise...
Anyway, I'm plugging one port in each speaker and have brought the EVs out a little and adjusted both distance apart and toe-in (less of each).
The HK is a very nice amp indeed.
Things are not perfect yet, but I've no desire to return to the Harbs...

joel said:
have brought the EVs out a little

How long until they're exactly where the Harbs were? :)

I look forward to hearing these one day, sound like the sort of thing I'd like.

-- Ian

royce5 said:
Markus, ever heard of or listened to a german brand called Octave? looks great in a brutalist kinda way, very $$$.[/url]

Sorry, I missed that one. Yes, I've heard (some of) the Octave amps. They are excellent. The designer is extremely down to earth, if he had more of a flair for self-promotion, he'd be recognised as a tube and transformer guru up there with the greats in this field. You know how it is, an American manufacturer will trumpet about his latest breakthrough, this guy will tell you he's managed to exorcise a flaw in his design.

The V40 integrated is a gem of an amp, it combines everyday practicality with superb sound and real-world speaker driving ability. The big pre/power combo is a contender for world's best. I'm serious.

sideshowbob said:
How long until they're exactly where the Harbs were? :)
:D The Harbs would never have worked where I have them now. THe EVs are about 35cms out, the Harbs required more like 1.6m...
In any case, horns are not things you really want to get too close to

I look forward to hearing these one day, sound like the sort of thing I'd like.
Sooner rather than later I hope. They are far from the finished product, but I'm pretty sure you'd like them.

This "AV amp" is really, really good :eek:

just when i felt at peace with my living-room/family system; i.e Mitsubishi DA-A15DC amp+ DA-P10 preamp+DA-F10 tuner combo, driving KEF 105.2, the opportunity of grabbing a pair of 1978-first-owned-oak pair of Altec19, (416B+808-8A) at fair price tends to shake that confidence. currently waiting for pics and feedback from a friend who will go check the beasts... to be followed

Do it - it sounds like fun! They are allegedly very good indeed. I love the look too - proper speakers!

thanks T, yeah i expect a lot and wish they'll be fine and unmodded...
they were daddy's set-up and the son kept them for 2 years after he died. he seems like a respectful chap but we all know of guys who followed some friend's good tips to put monacor woofers en lieu de 15" monitor golds or altecs and give away the "old" ones...
that's what i fear the most here. speakers are unfortunately hundreds miles away so i can only rely on a fellow forum guy who's been around and know the score

First thing to do would be to check the drivers for vc rub, and to put a multimeter across the drivers to see if the have the proper R.

If all is good, and they look fine, buy them!

Then you should replace the caps in the crossover. Also, make sure the resistors are all in spec.

Dont make any assessment to the quality of the sound until you do, it can make a world of difference with M19s.

just when i felt at peace with my living-room/family system; i.e Mitsubishi DA-A15DC amp+ DA-P10 preamp+DA-F10 tuner combo, driving KEF 105.2, the opportunity of grabbing a pair of 1978-first-owned-oak pair of Altec19, (416B+808-8A) at fair price tends to shake that confidence. currently waiting for pics and feedback from a friend who will go check the beasts... to be followed
V.cool. These are not cheap at all in Japan ($5,000 / pair the last time I looked!). My memory is that they have a voicing, but with the right material (70s rock, jazz) they are pretty awesome. And of course they look absolutely fantastic.
I hope this works out for you.

thanks everybody, keep crossed!
i guess there's no absolute best for speakers but as jazz goes by, the nineteens should boogie down nicely
anyway, the deal seems on a a good roll... i received a pic of the "not best one"- which looks absolutely fabulous... caches are still to be found somewhere but they have their proper O.G drivers
i'll drive down there in 2 weeks and have already sold current system to finance them!

first one assembled and tested with a smsl chipamp...
what you and others say is true : life begins with 15" monitors
pics tomorrow when the second one is mounted.

right now, minimalist set-up: genki cdp & smsl chip-amp
next, tubes of course...:cool:

2a6lg6r.jpg
2ir3pkx.jpg

advertisement

Back