advertisement

Altec 19

I think something like this would be a good "destination"
05.jpg

royce5 said:
Joel

BTW, how are the EVs at low volume playback compared to the Harbs?
They're OK. Of course a lot of the time you think you're plyaing stuff at low volume, when, in fact...

Hi Joel,

No I haven't heard any of the Ale stuff although I did hear a system based on Goto drivers. I believe Ale was started by someone who used to work for Goto. There's some discussion about which of the two make the better drivers.

The problem with such multiple horn installations is getting the crossovers and time alignment correct (almost regardless of which horn profile is used).

I don't like the dig crossovers I've heard so I'm not sure thats the way to go (particularly with ultra revealing pressure drivers) but I do think you'd need access to some pretty fancy measuring kit to get such a system even close to where it should be. Then you might be able to tune it in by ear. A friend of mine visited a guy in Cyprus with an Ale system http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/westernelectric/300b.html
and heard all of these massively expensive drivers that individually sounded very promising, but together they just couldn't be made to work in a plausible way. (or at least not yet anyway)

Getting the funds together to buy the component parts of such a system is only half of the battle. Acquiring the know-how to integrate them is arguably more difficult.

joel said:
I think something like this would be a good "destination"
05.jpg

Joel,

Is that a dedicated listening room or does the owner have an understanding wife unconcerned with interior design and cleanliness?

Hi Murray,
murray johnson said:
Getting the funds together to buy the component parts of such a system is only half of the battle. Acquiring the know-how to integrate them is arguably more difficult.
I couldn't agree more. I notice they are very keen on 4 and 5 way designs. Hard to imagine how some of those could be integrated into Japanese style listening spaces (read small).

Merlin:
That looks like an ordinary living room :)

Percussion, something that is very important to me, is really good on these EVs. I don't know how anyone hopes to hear & feel percussion on "modern" titchy speakers

I know people who have been down this route, 4-way horn systems of various manufacture. With one exception, they have gone back to using 2-way systems as they found it impossible to master the integration of the drivers.

The one exception is someone who built a huge room and integrated the bass horn ino the room. I haven't heard that system, unfortunately.

That said, I tought Chris's system with the Valencias, the JBL horns and the Revel subs below was excellent. The integration between the Valencias and the subs was surprisingly seamless, probably helped by high-pass-filtering the Valencias.

Joel, do you still have the Harbs? Switch back to them in 2 weeks time or so, I'd be genuinely interested in your comments.

Markus Sauer said:
Joel, do you still have the Harbs? Switch back to them in 2 weeks time or so, I'd be genuinely interested in your comments.

I second this...

still can't decide btwn the Harbs and JBL 4318..:confused:

Sorry chaps, they'll be gone very shortly.
Royce: has to be the harbs. The JBLs are great party speakers, but you'll spend more time listening to music with the Harbs.

Markus Sauer said:
I know people who have been down this route, 4-way horn systems of various manufacture. With one exception, they have gone back to using 2-way systems as they found it impossible to master the integration of the drivers.

The one exception is someone who built a huge room and integrated the bass horn ino the room. I haven't heard that system, unfortunately.

That said, I tought Chris's system with the Valencias, the JBL horns and the Revel subs below was excellent. The integration between the Valencias and the subs was surprisingly seamless, probably helped by high-pass-filtering the Valencias.

Thanks for that.

One bit of useful feedback I got, was that perhaps the tweeter was a bit strident. That was useful info (hadn't really noticed it), and I think a change in amp has had the desired effect.

Also, it was useful to know that my cart was dying off. I hadn't noticed that either! (maybe I have cloth ears!).

NB
Joel - so the Harbeths are going? (I think this is what you meant, but you might have meant the EVs).

Well, I was surprised that you ran the tweeter wide open, without attenuation. Re the cart, I wouldn't have been able to make a comment as I was not familiar with your system. But I, too, find it useful to have people come by occasionally, particularly when they have heard earlier versions of the system, and have them point their fingers at aspects of my system's sound that I may have got used to.

aah I see.

I dont think it has attenuation, but honestly I dont know either way. I just got a friend to copy whatever Kevin Scott does with it. Its certainly got some capacitors or something round the back.

I never did open it up for you, guess we forgot!

Chris, capacitors don't attenuate. You'd have to have a resistor (or an autotransformer) to attenuate the output from the supertweeter. If you find the time, do open the thing up, I'd be interested to know how it's done.

Ultimately, when you have a pot in line for the mid/tweeter, you need a pot for the supertweeter to compensate for changes you make to the setting for the mid/tweeter.

I can see your point in terms of adjustability.

From my perspective though, I'd be putting attenuators into something that sound fine without them.. (costly and no point?)

So Markus,

do you have plans to extend the bandwidth of the VOTT's in the near future or do you not miss the extremes?

advertisement

Back