advertisement

already ripped into ALAC?

timeout

ignorance is bliss
if you have sold some of your CDs after ripping into ALAC and most of your CD albums are ripped into ALAC. will you regret now?

Of course, speaking generally, you can always batch convert files (with something like DBPoweramp) to any other format you choose. Obviously you cannot get back to a higher res format once converted to a lossy format, but ALAC is lossless and can be converted to, say, FLAC without issue.

Of course, speaking generally, you can always batch convert files (with something like DBPoweramp) to any other format you choose. Obviously you cannot get back to a higher res format once converted to a lossy format, but ALAC is lossless and can be converted to, say, FLAC without issue.

Jriver or DBpower

it is because once perform iTune update, it is a mess after that.

is DBpower same as jriver or itune?

where you can select songs from the list. is it called PerfectTUNES to manage songs?

I use DBPoweramp for ripping and tagging. Not sure what else it does. There's a 30 free trial available so why not give it a go?

If you're an Apple/Mac user, I heartily recommend MAX for batch conversion. it does a rather nice speedy job of it all, and you can set it to delete the original files once the conversions are complete.

i using a Window PC.

iTune doesn't identify duplicate songs in the playlist. it just display all songs in my itune media folder

I use DBPoweramp for ripping and tagging. Not sure what else it does. There's a 30 free trial available so why not give it a go?
ok. hope to narrow down the search for a perfect / ideal music manager.

have tried too many but didn't click for my case. like the mediamonkeyhttp://www.mediamonkey.com/

DB Power amp is perfect and simple for Ripping cds to what ever format you choose it can also batch convert them to another format eg ALAC to FLAC or WAV as they are all lossless.
DBP also uses 3 independent online library's for your cover and tagging data

JRiver media is a Media, music & Videos player and is excellent for a PC IMO, you can use the Gizmo app from a tablet to control it from your chair and it doesn't mess up your music library folder system.

Alan

Once you've sold the CDs you'll delete the ALAC files as you no longer have any right to hold them.

That's an interesting point.

On the other hand, does the person buying those CD have the right to rip them? They haven't paid the record company for them - but the OP has . . .

Are you buying an artefact, or a licence to play?

On the other hand, does the person buying those CD have the right to rip them? They haven't paid the record company for them - but the OP has . . .

The copyright / right to use is attached to the physical media. If you sell / give away the CD you lose all rights to retain a digital copy on your computer HD or anywhere else - as soon as you dump the physical media you are guilty of piracy. Selling second hand CDs, vinyl, cassettes etc is of course perfectly legal (it is what I do for a living!). One just needs to respect intellectual property / copyright law in the process.

That's an interesting point.

Are you buying an artefact, or a licence to play?
You are buying the disc and the right to hold a backup (rip) of the disc for personal use. If ownership of the disc passes from you to someone else, the right to hold the backup (rip) also passes from you to them.

advertisement

Back