advertisement

Alps potentiometer

They used an even better version in the late version of the DSP50s, the more-refined one with the offboard supply

It remains an utter joy to use.. ;)

It had the best "feel" of any pot I've used (except for the leafy green type:D) but I nearly fell off my seat when I looked up the price!! I'll guess they were a hell of a lot less than £500 each when DPA were using them!

The flying leads do not inspire confidence though...

Whilst I doubt I'll ever get a round tuit... I have USA mil spec reed relays sorted out (prob £30 each if you can still get them) and circuitry designed for a 256 step attenuator.

Not looking to start an epic internet battle but your affirmation that you've never encountered an Alps pot that was "less than perfect" is tantamount to claiming the Pope is Buddhist. It's just not credible, but whatever.
Your statement on Naim however is one I can fully support, with perhaps the requirement that free would still be too expensive and that Naim should pay me to take one of their products.
But, no need to fight about this stuff.
NAIM made me enjoy music for many years, not for you it would seem. We all have different tastes.

This thread reminded me to look for a pot to replace the Alps Blue in my Albarry PP2. Having use a PEC in my 01A DHT, I looked for a 10k in Digikey. Out of stock, ask for quote. Came back with £3132 for one! Or £3159 for 15. Not what I expected. :eek: I guess that is from PEC, not Digikey, to set up a run. Group buy, anyone? :D
The last one (100k) that I bought from them was about £35.:(

I’ve had many an amp with alps pot and it sounds wonderful when the amp is ‘boogying’. But trying to listen at low volumes is impossible, as the balance collapses….my 20 dollars worth!….lol

Wouldn't it have been reasonable, considering cost of the Osiris, to develop a custom solution?

Here is what Benchmark did. I have no idea if this is a custom implementation or 'off the shelf' but it ads perceived value to an expensive product plus technical advantages, at least according to the marketing blurb. Benchmark usually measure well.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/benchmarks-256-step-relay-controlled-attenuator

My OP doesn't just apply to Rega. I do wonder if conventional volume pots belong in expensive products.

Always amazes me that people seem to think a hifi box shouldn't cost more than its component parts. Do they think the factory rents itself, the staff do it for fun, promotion materials write themselves and R&D involves downloading a circuit off the internet?

The unjustified blind faith that Naim apparently has in these god-awful contraptions is precisely what drove me away from Naim.
If you want to hear how bad an Alps pot can be, have a look at Naim preamps and integrateds.

Tough crowd!

Less than perfect would be greater than a 3dB variation between channels though. IMHO and alps blue can be 'perfect' but still a long way from acceptable!

They still have the nicest feel of anything in their price range, especially the motorised ones.

Feel is everything in most human activity. Human hands are marvellous, although the crowd here will probably disagree as they would upgrade them in a heartbeat for a superior nec plus ultra model if they could.

Ah yes it was Penny and Giles I was thinking of when I mentioned Noble earlier! Only around £500 each!
The one time I've seen one in audio gear was in a DPA pre amp.

When they were still made, the ex works 100 off price was around £350 plus vat

That is why they didn't turn up in hifi very often

Krell, Swiss Audio, Aragon come to mind, but there weren't that many others

advertisement

Back