advertisement

Alps 20k vs 10k pots

Paul3

pfm Member
Hi
I am thinking about changing the Vol pot on my 32.5 for a remote one, but it is 10k.

What would be the effect of this?

It makes life harder for the sources that have to drive the pot, and so might slightly increase the distortion from them.

If the preceding circuit has a small output cap, you might get bass loss.

On the plus side, the noise floor, at settings near the mid point (-6dB) will be slightly better.

I can't remember what comes before the pot in a 32.5. Is it some sort of buffer circuit, or is it straight from the external source? If buffered, I think thah will drive 10K happily.

Hi PD
To be honest, I am way out of my depth.

The only boards in my 32.5 are Avondale 821s, but I don't know if they are buffer, nor do I understand what a buffer is.

I'm hoping that an old dog can learn new tricks.

Can I do something which will make it appear that the pots are the same, like put a resistor in parallel?

Thanks
Paul

If you have the 821s in there they come after the pot...the now bypassed spot for the 324/729s is where the buffers that would have been before the pot...

I've replaced the Balance pot with 2 x 1k resistors.

The amp is up and running, but is really loud.

The Balance pot was 10k so 5k at mid point, and the vol pot 20k - 25k total, SO should the resistors plus vol pot = 25k ? I which case I need 15k resistors???

advertisement

Back