advertisement

Alma Deutscher

Mullardman

Moderately extreme...
Just watching Alan Yentob looking at the work of a very young ' child prodigy' composer called Alma Deutscher, who is rehearsing an opera she has composed. She is 11 years old.

Quite amazing.

Mull

I found that very spooky. Good luck to her, she seems to have great support from her family and some eminent folk in the classical world, Rattle and Mehta for instance. Seeing her effectively in charge of an orchestra in rehearsal was astonishing.

It's on my 'to watch' list.

I've seen a couple of things of hers on YouTube. My memory of her is that while she's an astonishing prodigy, it's like the 20th century never happened. I guess I could be proved wrong when I watch the full programme.

what is the opera called? I hope not some pretensious title? i hope maybe ALice in Wonderland? or Enyd Blyton The Faraway Tree?

ah Cinderella

From Cinderella, an Opera by Alma Deutscher. Ballade der Cinderella: "Wenn hernieder sinkt das Dunkel". Cinderella: Theresa Krügl (soprano)

sounds very C19 or before? does that sound like Mozart?

well not a fan of opera, I have heard worse

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes comparisons with Mozart were noted, that Ballade sounds like Mozart with an echo of Philip Glass to me and a touch of Wagner.

An opera Alice in Wonderland has been done by Unsuk Chin, and very odd it is too. I have it on DVD

I've now watched the programme. Yes she's an unbelievable prodigy, no doubt about that. However I hope she advances from the 'classical' era as she matures. The difficulty with many prodigies comes when they get older and other people begin to catch up. I hope that's not the case for Alma, and wish her every success in the future.

Yes comparisons with Mozart were noted, that Ballade sounds like Mozart with an echo of Philip Glass to me and a touch of Wagner.

An opera Alice in Wonderland has been done by Unsuk Chin, and very odd it is too. I have it on DVD

here that is -

[YOUTUBE]_hXt-BPhRKA[/YOUTUBE]

If this is the C20 then best it didnt happen lol

hmm not my cup of tea at all.

give me Alma anyday

Ah but this is 21st century opera, 2007! I said it was odd, she is writing the sequel Alice through the Looking Glass. :eek:

Alma may have to embrace post modernism or somesuch in the future? I'm sure she will be herself.

Yes, whilst I'm not sufficiently knowledgeable about classical, and especially opera, to offer a critique of Alma's work, I remain astonished at the simple fact of it irrespective of where it goes from here.

She is a strange mix of full on enthusiasm and pure assertiveness, with a sort of genuine humility and appreciation of others.

I loved the bit where it was seemingly she alone who was picking out a single player ( Oboe ?) who was coming in too early in rehearsal.

As I said.

Amazing.

Mull

I think now it might be a mistake to write-off Alma Deutscher as a passing 'child prodigy' of classical pastiche. I was very ambivalent and somewhat sceptical initially when she came to notice because it was not really the sort of thing I listen to most of the time, though I am certainly not unfamiliar with 18th/19th century output.. Can't deny her sheer talent though.
There's something here that has not been taken totally seriously in 'real art' classical music for perhaps over 100 years: dedication to pure, unselfconscious, largely diatonic melody in a non-ironic or offbeat way. Yesterday a day-old video popped into my YT timeline of her talking to camera from home, about this and that and answering questions. And the promise of future videos about improvisation. The thing that struck me is that she now has a pronounced German accent!, probably from living in Vienna? Or her dad's accent?

The thing with her has been the utter insistence that her music isn't merely a 'retroactive', chocolate box imitation of a dead 18thC musical idiom. She presents it as absolutely normal that you would write using these time-honoured techniques of partimenti, traditional counterpoint, 18th century harmony, clear-line melody etc. Whereas other composers who obviously loved melody (Shostakovich, Weinberg, even Schoenberg) had to hide it. Drop it in in snippets and dress it in post-modern packages for it to be 'art'. She's giving it unvarnished. What to make of it? She's known for this remark when being told that "some people have said that she should not compose beautiful melodies in the 21st century, because music has to reflect the complexity and ugliness of the modern world."
"But I think that these people just got a little bit confused. If the world is so ugly, then what's the point of making it even uglier with ugly music?".
Well she's 16 and has been bathed in this 18th century musical idiom and I think people believe (or believed) she will end up stuck in it and actually has no conception of anything outside it, but I'm not so sure. In 2019 I saw this 'Waltz of the Sirens" (video underneath) where the opening understands perfectly well the idea of dissonance as a tool - could be in a superficial way, but I have no doubt about her grasp of musical idiom. And to think this girl does this type of orchestration and her age! That violin concerto of hers at age 8 or 9 has a sort of orchestration some undergrad music students can't even manage. The question is will her determined 'melody' approach tilt some of the balance away from what has been seen as a heavily academic sort of music which fails to connect with most people? Or is she just going to be one among a handful writing classical-revival music? If you watch anything watch the piano waltz at the bottom, especially when it passes past the exposition section.

Video from a day ago:

Waltz of the Sirens:

Ludwig Waltz No.2:

No doubt about her skill or fluency but sometimes I think it would be impossible now to be a successful original composer in a classical/romantic 19th century idiom because basically all the possible good tunes have already been written, regular tonality just doesn't have any more combinations of notes to offer up! So anything she does is just always going to be regarded as a parody/pastiche of a bygone age, and will be smothered under a blanket of comparison with 18th/19th century greats.

It would be very interesting to see how her music matures as she grows into adulthood and and has more perspectives on life to draw on, and see if she still shies away from shade and darkness. Listened to most of her Violin Concerto on Youtube and its all nicey-nicey. Great music, of whatever era, has shade and darkness as well as light. There are myriad of forgotten composers from all eras who composed nicey-nice music that is almost entirely forgotten now. Louis Spohr was the best known composer in first half of C.19th.... where is he now? Anyone for Fibich? (Imagine Dvorak with nothing to say).

I'm absolutely sure that Alma Deutscher could have a very successful career as a film and TV composer - where the music is not the thing. A standalone, her current style of music will not get any traction other than as a skilful parody of a bygone style. I'd like to hear what she's writing 10 years from now - hopefully she still will be.

I'm absolutely sure that Alma Deutscher could have a very successful career as a film and TV composer - where the music is not the thing. A standalone, her current style of music will not get any traction other than as a skilful parody of a bygone style. I'd like to hear what she's writing 10 years from now - hopefully she still will be.
Yes, this is about it at this juncture. Like I said it's not generally my listening taste, but I have no issue with her pursuit of 'beautiful melody'. After all a composer like Miecyslaw Weinberg pursued that, but his packaging was far less twee.

advertisement

Back