advertisement

Allo DigiOne... better than Mac Mini streaming?

Greyandy

pfm Member
I currently stream Tidal and Qobuz via USB into a Cambridge DacMagic 200M. Having read a bit about Raspberry Pi streaming being 'better' and in particular the Allo DigiOne using SPDIF, has anyone got any experience of if this is a worthwhile change?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

It depends how good the USB front end is on your DAC unit. In your case, am not sure if there would be a signficant benefit, and some downsides too with file format transmission limitations.

If you had an SPDIF-only DAC, then I think the case would be much more compelling. :)

PS, I am an Allo DigiOne user, and do enjoy using it. It isn't always going to make the sound better though. In my case (switching from a USB to SPDIF converter to the DigiOne) it was worthwhile.

It depends how good the USB front end is on your DAC unit. In your case, am not sure if there would be a signficant benefit, and some downsides too with file format transmission limitations.

If you had an SPDIF-only DAC, then I think the case would be much more compelling. :)

PS, I am an Allo DigiOne user, and do enjoy using it. It isn't always going to make the sound better though. In my case (switching from a USB to SPDIF converter to the DigiOne) it was worthwhile.
Thanks!
The 200M will handle up to 192 on SPDIF so that works for me.
2 reasons for considering the DigiOne... I have a 3m USB run from Mac to DAC which is far from ideal plus I'm interested to see if the additional isolation provided by the DigiOne will be beneficial over the potentially noisier signal from the Mac.
I also enjoy fiddling with things!

Adding in the DigiOne certainly made the digital output "just right". I'm not great at describing the differences in digital kit, but it made the whole thing just nicer to listen to somehow. More vinyl-like maybe, or more analogue...

Mind you I use the internal DAC in my ancient AX-Z1010TN which only does 16/48 iirc. Sounds superb though.

Having been put off using an RPi since my early efforts, I recently rebuilt my unit of an RPi 3 plus Allo Digi one adding the official RPi 7" touch screen, now running Picoreplayer.

I use mine to feed my RME ADI-2 DAC via coax SPDIF connection and find the RPI/Allo Digione/Picoreplayer set up to work just great, in many ways I prefer it to using my Bluesound Node 2i or my Naim SuperUniti as digital transports.

The configurability and the big touch screen go a long way to improving the user interface over my other units.

One big issue right now is where to buy an RPi at a sensible price, I need one to replace my other unit which has now been pressed into full time music streamer service!

Thanks!
The 200M will handle up to 192 on SPDIF so that works for me.
2 reasons for considering the DigiOne... I have a 3m USB run from Mac to DAC which is far from ideal plus I'm interested to see if the additional isolation provided by the DigiOne will be beneficial over the potentially noisier signal from the Mac.
I also enjoy fiddling with things!

3M is fine for USB, up to 5M+ really, and beyond. :)

Adding in the DigiOne certainly made the digital output "just right". I'm not great at describing the differences in digital kit, but it made the whole thing just nicer to listen to somehow. More vinyl-like maybe, or more analogue...

Mind you I use the internal DAC in my ancient AX-Z1010TN which only does 16/48 iirc. Sounds superb though.

Yours is exactly the sort of setup where a DigiOne would benefit, due to feeding your unit with an ultra-low jitter signal, something that vintage units respond to better than modern ones. ;)

I currently stream Tidal and Qobuz via USB into a Cambridge DacMagic 200M. Having read a bit about Raspberry Pi streaming being 'better' and in particular the Allo DigiOne using SPDIF, has anyone got any experience of if this is a worthwhile change?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

I have a range of RPi set ups and have tried a number of HATs from Justboom, Allo and IQAudio and various players (Moode and Volumio mainly)
I also use a Mac Mini (2014) with Audirvana - no audible 'noise' I can hear (even through USB)

To be honest I have found little difference to speak of... not really worth the hassle if you aren't too interested in the computer faff involved.

That said, I still get loads of fun fiddling around with the RPi units and add-ons - particularly when you add touch screens to the mix :)
Also Debian with players like VLC make for an interesting option I have recently been exploring ....

DACs have included Fiio, Lindy, Musical Fidelity, Cambridge Audio, Topping, Quad, RME and more.

EDIT: Incidentally, the USB output on the RPi 4 is a big improvement - pretty much dispenses with HATs altogether ;)

Last edited:

advertisement

Back