advertisement

All you need is...

It's a fiction to make the point that individuals choose stuff of all kinds according to their circumstances and desires. As it ever was and will be!
Yes, indeed. But by reading people's strong views about other people's decisions I wonder if that's often considered...

Sadly he has a third party moderating which means the comments section will be purely lent to insipid or positive feedback, I follow another youtube channel like that. Really he is best just leaving comments off.

Music first. That’s the greatest piece of the equation. Couldn't give a monkeys what people play it on. The music, the words. They transcend any piece of hifi. When I was a student Mum and Dad bought me a £30 Sony boom box. I played my music through it and I loved the music.

Exactly.

Music first. That’s the greatest piece of the equation. Couldn't give a monkeys what people play it on. The music, the words. They transcend any piece of hifi. When I was a student Mum and Dad bought me a £30 Sony boom box. I played my music through it and I loved the music.

Isn't that Darko's mantra? "Music-first audiophile"? :D

Simplistic to look only in simple terms of price tags IMO. A far more logical way is ‘total cost of ownership’, i.e. what is the difference between what you paid to get an item and what you eventually sell it for when you want to move it on. Play a smart game and much of the worlds best hi-fi can actually be free or will even pay you to own it! I’ve been arguing this for decades now, it is a core concept this site was built on (that and a green/sustainable anti-landfill attitude).

I’ve got a lot of very decent and desirable hi-fi these days, there is stuff in every room in the house. If I sold up right now I’d be many £thousands ahead of what I paid, i.e. it is really all just investment aside from a few consumables such as styli & valves. The stuff I bought for a few tenners that is now worth hundreds or thousands easily offsetting any depreciation on the tiny minority of stuff I bought new. Stick that in your Maserarti!

He may not be the nicest of people, I often disagree with his views but I think he really means well. And a Music-first stance is certainly a good start!
Don’t know if he’s nice or not.I just find him too dull. He does go on a bit.

I had a system in my bedroom recently. A Justboom amp/Dac and JPW speakers. Cost less than £40. If I’d had that when I was younger I’d be very happy that it could deliver the Music to me. If I had a year like last year and had to sell everything I could happily live with it. The sound had no real nasties and engaged me fully.I’m not bothered how it’s delivered.Streaming, cd, TT or cassette. I get less bothered as I mature. I’ve been through my hifi phase. I feel almost liberated.

Reactions: RoA
I've not watched him before - there is a slight sense that he's pleased with himself, being centre of attention.

He also seems like he's still trying to work these things through for himself and the video is part of that process, hence it's like he's trying to persuade himself along with everyone else.

Who is he anyway? A magazine reviewer? I see he has a website.

Also like Steve G (plus the lovely Art Dudley of course :( )

He is likely appealing more to newer generations of Audio Enthusiasts. He doesn't usually review any old equipment and embraces new technology.

Although I am not one of them I mainly enjoy his contributions although his videos usually far exceed the acknowledged YouTube time to keep folks attention span ... They are, imho also well edited.

Nothing wrong with SG and others either. All informative and a little bit of fun.

advertisement

Back