advertisement

All purpose football thread 2022/23 Season

I made a decision, this year, to focus on my own team and talk about them only, other than to compliment others when they have played well, or on former City players who I hope will continue to succeed. It's good for my mental health.
That's quite an easy position to take when you know you're gonna p*ss the league.:)
Premier League is sadly turning into Ligue 1.

That's quite an easy position to take when you know you're gonna p*ss the league.:)
Premier League is sadly turning into Ligue 1.

Even though I think we are favourites and have really improved, I do think that Arsenal and Tottenham will have a major say in the title race, in addition to Liverpool.

We also have a small squad, the smallest in the PL, so a few injuries could have a big effect even though the Academy players that have been drafted in are really good quality.

This is not a new decision for me I refused many times to use my ticket to watch Wimbledon and on occasion Burnley and trust me Liverpool were not that great a side then . I am sorry but I do think it shameful to adopt time wasting and the like and I agree that diving is just as shameful and some Liverpool players have been high up on the list of those doing it. We do seem to have sorted much of that out and their is less by Liverpool players now (I did not say none) . I see football as entertainment and I pay a fair amount of money to go and see games live . In the same way in the past I have walked out of concerts because the performance or sound has been dire I will not consistently watch dross from either the opposition or my own side . I was within a week of cancelling my season ticket and not going when Liverpool had Roy as manager and the standard of football plummeted . In past years when Liverpool were playing away I used to often go and watch Keegans City as they exciting to watch and provided entertainment . If I could have ever got a ticket i would have gone to Newcastle to watch Keegans team . Newcastle have now got a very decent set of players that can offer lots of different ways of playing and over time they will add and strengthen the squad and hopefully for all their fans they will be able to lift themselves and play both quality football without having to concern themselves with the opposition so much .

Watched bits of the City game and Forest did not do what they have done from the start and get after teams . As a result trying to defend deep against City only ends one way . So again they may well have still been beaten just as badly if they had pressed hard and forced City to play quickly but they may also have got a couple of goals themselves . I know which I would prefer to see but this is just personal . City or Liverpool have no right to anything they have to go out each game and earn it and on most match days that is what they do .

Even though I think we are favourites and have really improved, I do think that Arsenal and Tottenham will have a major say in the title race, in addition to Liverpool.

We also have a small squad, the smallest in the PL, so a few injuries could have a big effect even though the Academy players that have been drafted in are really good quality.
I hear what you say but in my opinion (fwiw) there will be no title race whatsoever.
I would expect Arsenal & Spurs to finish at least a dozen points behind you and Liverpool albeit closer - not close enough to cause you any concern.
Chelsea will hopefully give you a run for your money next season but with all the changes in the club plus the loss of our best defender due to the sanctions I would be delighted if we managed to scrape 4th place this season.

I hear what you say but in my opinion (fwiw) there will be no title race whatsoever.
I would expect Arsenal & Spurs to finish at least a dozen points behind you and Liverpool albeit closer - not close enough to cause you any concern.
Chelsea will hopefully give you a run for your money next season but with all the changes in the club plus the loss of our best defender due to the sanctions I would be delighted if we managed to scrape 4th place this season.

I agree that too many changes at Chelsea will be difficult to integrate into a winning outfit.
The challenge for City will come against the mentioned teams: we have had a run of fairly winnable games.

What's Billy Gilmour like? Is he any good? Will Chelsea be buying him back in 3 year's time for £60m, or will we sell him on to one of the teams in the top six?

What's Billy Gilmour like? Is he any good? Will Chelsea be buying him back in 3 year's time for £60m, or will we sell him on to one of the teams in the top six?
Love Billy Gilmour, he is always on the move, always looking around, a real ‘head on a stick player’. I’d put him in the Makelele mould of putting out fires then delivering a short pass. On the down side he is not going to get forward too often or spray long passes around.

He was brilliant for Chelsea against Liverpool, but then had a few games where he gave the ball away.

Chelsea don’t seem to play with a holding midfielder as much as having two more mobile defensive players who take it in turns to get forward, so I guess he doesn’t quite fit Tuchel’s requirements.

Great player, hope he does well for you.

Sounds ideal. That could free up Mac Allister to play further forward again. A midfield pair of Gilmour and Caidedo could be very solid.

A good window for us. We had a ready replacement for Bissouma, made a shed load of dosh on Cucurella and bought his replacement for c£15m, kept Trossard and finally got rid of Andone.

Have to be honest know nothing about our new loan signing Melo hope that he better than our other panic , last minute buys . As he is on loan there is not too much of a chance being taken but not good business if he does not play .

If it didn't have to be a Premier League criteria, then the Swansea Pele Lee Trundle would get a vote from me, great fun whenever i saw him play.

Preaching to the converted here. Still played into his 40s and still did incredible things with a ball. Sadly this appears to be much more of a Premier League thread than an all purpose football thread so you’ll get no acknowledgement other than from myself as a Wrexham fan.

Meanwhile over on Disney Plus.

Personally I’m more than happy to talk about football in general, there was life before the Premier League.

One of the best players I ever saw for Newcastle was Tony Green. Blackpool supporters ( auld one’s) here will remember him.

I imagine everyone here is happy to talk about non-PL stuff. Most of my best footballing memories are when my team was not a PL team but it is the case that the people who post are, generally, fans of PL clubs - we just talk about our teams.

Now that VK is manager of Burnley, I have become almost as nutty about their success as I am about Man City.

I imagine everyone here is happy to talk about non-PL stuff. Most of my best footballing memories are when my team was not a PL team but it is the case that the people who post are, generally, fans of PL clubs - we just talk about our teams.

Now that VK is manager of Burnley, I have become almost as nutty about their success as I am about Man City.
I even watched some of Burnley's match last night! :eek:

Personally I’m more than happy to talk about football in general, there was life before the Premier League.

One of the best players I ever saw for Newcastle was Tony Green. Blackpool supporters ( auld one’s) here will remember him.

I’d argue that there is life after the Premier League and it’s a damn sight more interesting. The National League is the hardest league in the world to get out of and genuinely competitive every season despite the influx of money.

advertisement

Back