advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, the whole top four are buying their way into it and the CL prize money then returns it to be spent once more. That is the reason why it was United, Liverpool and Arsenal +1 and it is now City, Chelsea, Liverpool and United. As some of those clubs then sought to influence seeding arrangements and block other clubs investing, the gap would have simply grown every year.
Almost a blueprint for a super league in fact. ;)

If you were a fan of a team that regularly qualified for the CL you'd have a different view - probably in line with the 'biased' view you hold regarding the play offs.
I'm struggling to think of anything more unfair/ridiculous than say finishing 3rd in the Championship and then having to play in a mini knockout competition against sides that you've already proved over the course of the season that you're better than to gain promotion.
This is a 'cash cow' albeit on a smaller scale than the CL and creates a situation where finishing 6th is as good as finishing 3rd - it's just nonsense and massively devalues the 46 league matches played throughout the season.
Well you can’t have it both ways as the principle is the same as CL qualification whereby you have teams with vastly different league records getting entry to big cash bonanza.

The cash received for just qualifying for CL is way outside other competitions & has largely created the monstrous inequality we have in football today. I don’t think football league play offs are anything like as corrosive & can reward smaller teams.

If you support the idea of champions only, which I do, you are quite correct. I am sure we will.

Imagine only qualifying once in thirty years though when your whole identity is built on European and not domestic success.

I keep seeing stats on Sky TV saying LFC are England's most successful domestic and European team, presumably their identity is built success on both fronts unless you know different and the 50 domestic Championships, Cups and Shields together with 13 shiny European trophies don't count anymore?

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer walks into a bank to cash a cheque. As he approaches the cashier he says, "Good morning, Ms could you please cash this cheque for me?"

Cashier:"It would be my pleasure. Could you please show me your ID?"

Solskjaer:"Truthfully, I did not bring my ID with me as I didn't think there was any need to. I am Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, Manager of Manchester United”.

Cashier: "Yes, I know who you are, but with all the regulations and monitoring of the banks because of imposters and forgers and requirements of the legislation, etc., I must insist on seeing ID."

Solskjaer: Just ask anyone here at the bank who I am and they will tell you. Everybody knows who I am."

Cashier: "I am sorry, Mr Solskjaer but these are the bank rules and I must follow them."

Solskjaer,"Come on please, I am urging you, please cash this cheque."

Cashier: "Look sir, here is an example of what we can do. One day, Tiger Woods came into the bank without ID. To prove he was Tiger Woods he pulled out his putter and made a beautiful shot across the bank into a cup. With that shot we knew him to be Tiger Woods and cashed his cheque."

"Another time, Andre Agassi came in without ID. He pulled out his tennis racket and made a fabulous shot where the tennis ball landed in my cup. With that shot we cashed his cheque. So, sir, what can you do to prove that it is you and only you?"

Solskjaer stands there thinking and thinking and finally says, "Honestly, my mind is a total blank...there is nothing that comes to my mind. I can't think of a single thing. I have absolutely no idea what to do. I don't have a clue."

Cashier: "Will that be large or small notes, Mr Solskjaer?”

I keep seeing stats on Sky TV saying LFC are England's most successful domestic and European team, presumably their identity is built success on both fronts unless you know different and the 50 domestic Championships, Cups and Shields together with 13 shiny European trophies don't count anymore?

This is just advice and you are well within your rights to just tell me to shut up , but when the regular trolling of Liverpool comes it is much better to ignore it and realise that it is the same fans and posters on here that trot out the same none sense . They are looking for reactions and indignant replies but if you ignore that part and just comment on the football element they do go away .

This is just advice and you are well within your rights to just tell me to shut up , but when the regular trolling of Liverpool comes it is much better to ignore it and realise that it is the same fans and posters on here that trot out the same none sense . They are looking for reactions and indignant replies but if you ignore that part and just comment on the football element they do go away .

Let me rephrase - if I speak to Liverpool fans, they never mention domestic success, only European success: members of the European elite, 6 times etc. It isn't trolling for a non-Liverpool fan to then say that Liverpool's identity is based on that. I cannot reconcile why Liverpool fans feel they are being victimised or trolled - this is just a discussion between football fans about whether the Champions League should feature champions only, or not. Within that discussion, I have been told about City buying domestic success, City may win it one day etc. It is just a bit of fun and nothing more. The point remains.

Then you know very few Liverpool fans , I go to all the home games and meet up with lots both before and after and none of this rings true but of course for you it does . You have spoken to me and i am a Liverpool fan and again I do not identify with Liverpool the team in this way . What is right and correct is that we have not won the League for many years and so that is not something we could say we had achieved . We have done that now and we are trying to compete in that still this season . Sadly in my view this will only last till Christmas after that too many of the essential players will be missing and despite the references on here that Liverpool have spent huge sums and bought themselves a squad it is very obvious that unlike some other squads we do not have direct replacements for every position and the ability to spend straight away if this changes . I would also be clear that this is not me being jealous or critical of those other clubs this is just the truth . Liverpool are a PL team and the best things we can do is to win the PL again . We have over many years had wins in European competitions and it is always nice to win a trophy . I suspect that the Liverpool fans you speak to are trolling you as they are high lighting the one trophy that City have not won yet . Again this is just a fact not me trying to make a point about City they will probably come very close again this season and possibly even win the CL but my impression from the few (and it is only a few) City fans I speak to is that they are not that concerned about the CL they have a strong distaste of UEFA and the treatment they feel City gets from this organisation . If they win then great but they appear to be pretty much not that bothered if they do not .

I need to make a distinction as well between fans that go to the game when they can and those that watch on TV and then comment accordingly . Both are supporters and both have a valid view but there is a distinct difference between going to the game and just watching on TV . The Covid period has made this all to clear to me in the hardest way possible . Going to the match has been part of my life since I was twelve and is still a stupidly joyous day out when I go . Watching all of the games in a season as televised matches was rubbish and not enjoyable and that has nothing to do with how poorly we played it was the missing experience . I used to attend many away games in the past and had considered doing so now I am retired a couple of games though have made it clear to me that I am not prepared to accept the disgraceful treatment and abuse you have to put up with for this so that is out and I have to watch away games on TV . Still find it not that great but better that than not seeing the game at all .

Then you know very few Liverpool fans , I go to all the home games and meet up with lots both before and after and none of this rings true but of course for you it does . You have spoken to me and i am a Liverpool fan and again I do not identify with Liverpool the team in this way . What is right and correct is that we have not won the League for many years and so that is not something we could say we had achieved . We have done that now and we are trying to compete in that still this season . Sadly in my view this will only last till Christmas after that too many of the essential players will be missing and despite the references on here that Liverpool have spent huge sums and bought themselves a squad it is very obvious that unlike some other squads we do not have direct replacements for every position and the ability to spend straight away if this changes . I would also be clear that this is not me being jealous or critical of those other clubs this is just the truth . Liverpool are a PL team and the best things we can do is to win the PL again . We have over many years had wins in European competitions and it is always nice to win a trophy . I suspect that the Liverpool fans you speak to are trolling you as they are high lighting the one trophy that City have not won yet . Again this is just a fact not me trying to make a point about City they will probably come very close again this season and possibly even win the CL but my impression from the few (and it is only a few) City fans I speak to is that they are not that concerned about the CL they have a strong distaste of UEFA and the treatment they feel City gets from this organisation . If they win then great but they appear to be pretty much not that bothered if they do not .

I need to make a distinction as well between fans that go to the game when they can and those that watch on TV and then comment accordingly . Both are supporters and both have a valid view but there is a distinct difference between going to the game and just watching on TV . The Covid period has made this all to clear to me in the hardest way possible . Going to the match has been part of my life since I was twelve and is still a stupidly joyous day out when I go . Watching all of the games in a season as televised matches was rubbish and not enjoyable and that has nothing to do with how poorly we played it was the missing experience . I used to attend many away games in the past and had considered doing so now I am retired a couple of games though have made it clear to me that I am not prepared to accept the disgraceful treatment and abuse you have to put up with for this so that is out and I have to watch away games on TV . Still find it not that great but better that than not seeing the game at all .

Fair enough. Of course, the Liverpool fans I speak to know that I am a City fan so they may focus on the CL because of that, hence it would be easy for me to think that fans generally focus on European success.

I would like to win the CL, of course, but the PL is always the one that I want to win the most. For me, as I have said, it is probably because I was a fan for 44 years without winning it, watching our closest rivals having dominance for more than a decade.

It’s almost like football fans taunt their opposite numbers with relative achievements of ‘their clubs’. Who knew etc…

Being the team not being as winning in your own city is not easy and can take things in certain ways . Lots of Liverpool fans seem to revel in Everton not doing well in much the same way that Utd fans always loved in when City were still in the wilderness . I would say that most Everton fans hate Liverpools dominance and would really like to see relegated out of the league . I know that you @oldius love to see Utd come on hard times all of which is very understandable . I have always Liverpool the City first and foremost and take great pride in coming from here so for me if Liverpool were not able to win it then my second choice was that Everton should . I find myself more and more alone in this view which is shame . However I have no room to pretend I am any better as I love to see Utd brought low and can not wipe the smirk off my face since Sunday . There is no reasoning with support it just is.

Being the team not being as winning in your own city is not easy and can take things in certain ways . Lots of Liverpool fans seem to revel in Everton not doing well in much the same way that Utd fans always loved in when City were still in the wilderness . I would say that most Everton fans hate Liverpools dominance and would really like to see relegated out of the league . I know that you @oldius love to see Utd come on hard times all of which is very understandable . I have always Liverpool the City first and foremost and take great pride in coming from here so for me if Liverpool were not able to win it then my second choice was that Everton should . I find myself more and more alone in this view which is shame . However I have no room to pretend I am any better as I love to see Utd brought low and can not wipe the smirk off my face since Sunday . There is no reasoning with support it just is.

Spot on and we have to realise that so much of the language on here reflects the tribalism of the game. Through my twenties and thirties, United and Liverpool were the fiercest rivals so I understand that feeling. For City, we were up and down so much that our rivals were really United as we didn't build a sporting rivalry with anyone so it remained what it always was. Now, our fiercest sporting rivals are really Liverpool, domestically, so again the tribalism can build. I know that you don't harbour any of that towards CIty but I know that it is building among many Liverpool fans I speak to, though nothing like their feelings towards United: that is decades in the building.

Can’t agree Oldius.
Liverpool - a handful trophies in decades.
They are no marks who live on their “istree”.
Chelsea are City’s rivals.

Last edited:
Martinez looks like the favourite for NUFC post. Not really sure about him, seems to do really well or badly but he does have form with relegation.

Martinez looks like the favourite for NUFC post. Not really sure about him, seems to do really well or badly but he does have form with relegation.
If you look at the odds the Bookies clearly have no idea who it is going to be atm. Favourite changing on an almost daily basis with nothing being leaked from the club.
I understand they are being meticulous and the process is taking a while because they've decided to interview everybody who is better than Steve Bruce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back