advertisement

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
And VAR. Three penalty decisions missed. The chap who was in charge of VAR is only in his second year but still.

Brighton/Leicester not much better.
But VAR is only there to correct clear and obvious errors, it’s not there to make decisions. Which is how it should be. To take one example, Ronaldo was dragging a foot before contact was made, he was going down before there was an infringement. We can argue all day long about whether it was a pen or not, but it was not a clear and obvious error.

I for one feel that VAR is working much better this year and while not perfect, is at least reducing the number of clear and obvious errors, which is it’s purpose.

Atkinson is still a twat mind. VAR can’t change that!

But VAR is only there to correct clear and obvious errors, it’s not there to make decisions. Which is how it should be. To take one example, Ronaldo was dragging a foot before contact was made, he was going down before there was an infringement. We can argue all day long about whether it was a pen or not, but it was not a clear and obvious error.

I for one feel that VAR is working much better this year and while not perfect, is at least reducing the number of clear and obvious errors, which is it’s purpose.

Atkinson is still a twat mind. VAR can’t change that!

Re the United/WH game, it is now generally accepted that VAR and Atkinson had a bad day at the office, so bad in fact that the ref should spend some time in the Conference League.

I am pro-VAR and thought it had a relatively good season last year but when it gets so many decision so wrong during one weekend of football then it needs to recalibrate (which it may). As I mentioned, the VAR ref this weekend was relatively new but he may have been working to new rules e.g. defer to on-field decisions more often and/or send the refs to the monitor more often. No idea, maybe the FA have explained but if this is the case then I think VAR went a little too far in the wrong direction this weekend.

CR7 should have had 2 penalties, Soucek one. And Pogba was booked for a similar challenge to non-penalty decision one.

Anyway, I see Hollywood Alonso is out the knee-bending business.

Anyway, I see Hollywood Alonso is out the knee-bending business

Personally, I have always said that taking the knee is a choice and nothing should be read Ito that choice. However, those who boo those making their choice to kneel against racism are, in my opinion, racists.

Wilfred Zaha does not take the knee but supports Kick it out and other anti racist messages, likewise Alonso has said that he supports the stand against racism and will highlight the anti racist badge.

Quite what Hollywood has got to do with anything I don’t know.

Well an interesting two nights of football with fewer shocks than expected . Utd showed some of the areas that they are weak in which i suspect will be more closely examined by better teams . West Ham were unlucky that Utd would not sell Lingard and he would have gone some way to assist with the issue they have if Antonio gets injured. Not sure that Lingard will get the game time he wants and may well decide that he will leave on a free when his contract ends . City as expected with a young team still too good for lower league opposition . Liverpool still wasting good chances but were still an easy match for a really poor Norwich side that looks sadly to have learned nothing from their last spell in the PL . Another win for Arsenal and narrow wins for Spurs and Chelsea . Liverpool have an easier (famous last words) draw away to Preston and West Ham get the joy of playing the other Manchester side in the next round . Good entertainment all round but very quickly reducing down to PL sides only .

Personally, I have always said that taking the knee is a choice and nothing should be read Ito that choice. However, those who boo those making their choice to kneel against racism are, in my opinion, racists.

Wilfred Zaha does not take the knee but supports Kick it out and other anti racist messages, likewise Alonso has said that he supports the stand against racism and will highlight the anti racist badge.

Quite what Hollywood has got to do with anything I don’t know.

Mindful that this is a football thread and not a social justice thread so I won't comment but to say that re: Hollywood, that refers to some humorous posts between me and another poster a while back.

Well an interesting two nights of football with fewer shocks than expected . Utd showed some of the areas that they are weak in which i suspect will be more closely examined by better teams . West Ham were unlucky that Utd would not sell Lingard and he would have gone some way to assist with the issue they have if Antonio gets injured. Not sure that Lingard will get the game time he wants and may well decide that he will leave on a free when his contract ends . City as expected with a young team still too good for lower league opposition . Liverpool still wasting good chances but were still an easy match for a really poor Norwich side that looks sadly to have learned nothing from their last spell in the PL . Another win for Arsenal and narrow wins for Spurs and Chelsea . Liverpool have an easier (famous last words) draw away to Preston and West Ham get the joy of playing the other Manchester side in the next round . Good entertainment all round but very quickly reducing down to PL sides only .

Agree. One addition: the FA should follow the ECB's lead and bring in some international referees.

Interesting game at Stamford Bridge tomorrow.
One would think that the odds must be firmly against a fourth victory on the spin against City.
Hopefully the match ends with 22 players on the pitch and we're treated to a high quality game.
I'd take a point now.;)

Interesting game at Stamford Bridge tomorrow.
One would think that the odds must be firmly against a fourth victory on the spin against City.
Hopefully the match ends with 22 players on the pitch and we're treated to a high quality game.
I'd take a point now.;)
I have a ticket! Yes a draw would be acceptable though I have the same premonition that Chelsea will get a player sent off

Could it be?
15272437-statler-and-waldorf

https://www.teepublic.com/pin/15272437-statler-and-waldorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back