Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

All purpose football thread 2021-2022 season

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Rack Kit, Jun 29, 2021.

1. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Not all players were as thuggish as Souness, he seemed to enjoy it. Hard to believe Hoddle was from the same era.

2. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

Hoddle is the best English passer of the ball in my lifetime - Beckham got close for a while but then tailed off.

As for skill in the 70s, what about Liam Brady - a wand of a left foot and on those pitches too.

martin dawson and Weekender like this.
  3. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

I nominate Terry Hibbitt as a great passer of the ball. Great pass for the second goal and he did that a lot to make the most of Macdonald’s pace.

(I was among the fans behind the goal mentioned by Macdonald)

Hoddle was a great passer of the ball but I preferred the likes of Brooking, Francis, Ball, Wilkins and a few others. I thought Hoddle, along with Stan Bowles, Tony Currie, Alan Hudson, Duncan Mackenzie etc had great ability but lacked consistency. When I think back to games from the 70’s and 80’s I wonder how some of those players would have been on the pitches of today, with the different quality of the ball itself and the greater protection afforded such players from the hackers.

irons1965, palacefan and Weekender like this.
  4. oldius

oldius Can pleasure be measured?

I was responding to a post, as I have told you; did you read the post I was replying to? Put me on ignore if you want one-sided debate only.

5. oldius

That was utterly pathetic.

Brian likes this.
  6. oldius

As a kid, I thought he was an incredible player. As an adult, I see him as an incredible player and a dirty one. He would have been a great player without it though and probably successful in any era; some players just need the fire to drive them to levels of greatness beyond their skill.

Brian likes this.
  7. Brian

I recall watching it at the time. There is cheating and that one was terrible. I couldn’t believe the red card came out.

oldius likes this.
  8. Brian

Deliberate dirty play is also cheating, imo. Great player, though.

I also have a bit of a hate of players waving their hand at the ref in a ‘give him a card gesture’ and also hockling on an opponent.

oldius likes this.
  9. oldius

Definitely. I would like refs to start booking players who approach them. Currently, almost any incident results in four or five players surrounding the ref and demanding a VAR check. Other than the captain, perhaps, there is no reason for any approach.

Brian and Weekender like this.
  10. Brian

Let’s hope his mates in the media, manure supporters who think he was mistreated by Newcastle fans and those who think he’s as good as Benitez get behind him in his quest.

He deserves another chance but at a decent club. Sheff Utd, Huddersfield, Wigan, Crystal Pal, Birmingham, Sunderland, Hull, Aston Villa, Sheff Wed and Newcastle...all gash, obvs.

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/59380102 ( probably will disappear later )
    Source: Manc Evening News

oldius and Weekender like this.
  11. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

Maybe if Eddie Howe has waited another couple of weeks, he could have got the Man U job, at least on a caretaker basis until a proper manager becomes available.

Brian likes this.
  12. Brian

Warnock is available.

oldius and Spraggons Den like this.
  13. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

He prides himself on mid-table mediocrity - I believe that is something NUFC aspire to this season.

14. Brian

4th BOTL will do, being the same target for the last 14 years (when in the PL).

15. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Juventus taken apart by the Chelsea academy tonight.
    A very cold but enjoyable evening.;)

martin dawson and ks.234 like this.
  16. oldius

Reece James is an outstanding player. Well done, Chelsea.

17. omers

omers pfm Member

Chelsea are very good. There, I've said it.

18. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

The same Neil Warnock who holds the record for the most promotion winning seasons (8) in English football?

19. Spraggons Den

Spraggons Den pfm Member

It was a little joke with Brian.

kensalriser and Brian like this.
  20. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Some fabulous players there - Sir Trev is my all time hero:)

tqineil and Brian like this.