advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do agree that the equipment for VAR seems more than capable and that it is the human element that seems to be having problems with consistency . I do feel that any really vital decisions on foul play , penalties etc should be reviewed by VAR and then if there is any doubt ask the referee yo review and his decision is final .
...and if they had done, Chelsea would be 5 places higher in the league.

I understand how the ref did not see the pen in real time, but how anyone with eyes could not see it with the benefit of replay is beyond me

VAR is not going away, so I think the question is how to make it better and fairer.

I can live with very close offsides calls, but some of the handball calls have been silly. The latter rule needs changing.

The most frustrating thing I've seen, given VAR technology and the number of refs who are watching, are the clear and obvious mistakes and oversights that are still being made. Maguire's attempt to strangle Azpilicueta is a good example.

In the NFL, each team has two "challenges" per game. They can be used by a manager to stop play and force a VAR review (but not all cases). In the NFL, a successful challenge can overturn a call, but if the call is upheld, the team forfeits a time out. Not sure if some similar risk/reward system can be crafted for the PL. Maybe if your first challenge is unsuccessful, you lose your right to a second challenge? Anyway, Chelsea should have had a opportunity to force a review of Maguire's foul.

In the NFL, each team has two "challenges" per game. They can be used by a manager to stop play and force a VAR review (but not all cases). In the NFL, a successful challenge can overturn a call, but if the call is upheld, the team forfeits a time out. Not sure if some similar risk/reward system can be crafted for the PL. Maybe if your first challenge is unsuccessful, you lose your right to a second challenge? Anyway, Chelsea should have had a opportunity to force a review of Maguire's foul.
No thanks.

What good old days?
They’ve been moaning since I started watching in the early 60s.

I was joking!

I remember Bill Shankly's post-match interviews; every single match Liverpool lost was down to bad refereeing decisions and/or cheating opponents. I never once heard him say words to the effect of 'Congratulations to our opponents, they were better than us on the day'.

I was joking!

I remember Bill Shankly's post-match interviews; every single match Liverpool lost was down to bad refereeing decisions and/or cheating opponents. I never once heard him say words to the effect of 'Congratulations to our opponents, they were better than us on the day'.

Never ever remember Paisley giving any credit to anyone who managed to beat them.

Both Shankly and Paisley had a very simple mind set . Liverpool were the best football team ever and if anyone beat them it was by luck or cheating . Rest of the world hated it Liverpool fans loved it . A very different era and very different times . Where Shankly still alive and managing Liverpool he would be head line news every day . Bob would probably still not say too much . Shankly is the reason I am a Liverpool fan and love Liverpool the team , it is also why I still despise Liverpool the club . Both of those Gentlemen were admired and respected by all who knew them in the game and despite what you might believe they had great respect for all other football men they played and coached against (Shankly and Busby were great friends away from the game despised each other when they played each other ) Shankly was a unique and in my view wonderful man , he made fans promises and kept them and those that do that are very rare . It is to all other teams detriment that they were never managed by Shankly , it is to Liverpool's luck that they were . It is to the Clubs shame the way they treated him when he retired . I met Mr Shankly once and he was everything I knew he would be , because of him I will be a Liverpool fan till I die .

Are Spurs threatening to be title contenders? I know they blew a 3 goal lead against West Ham recently but a tight win away at Burnley has put them right in the mix.

Kane & Son seem to enjoy playing together too. There was a time when it was Kane & Dele but the latter is well out of the picture at the moment. Another title tilt from Jose? I’d written him off as yesterday’s man. And they still have Bale to come back...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54700030

They do look a complete package with few obvious weaknesses, they’ll go close with Jose unless they remember they’re Spurs and press the self destruct button at the business end of the season

Just heard Pep on R4 sports saying muscular injuries up 47% on last season for the same period, sign of the team playing too many games I imagine? They now have 10 injuries to deal with as @oldius has mentioned earlier up the thread. Just had a look at the current LFC first team squad and was surprised to see that 13 players have been out this season with injuries, that includes the long term stuff that has happened recently.

Assuming the ‘big teams’ have ambitions to go far in Europe and with yet another international break on the horizon when clubs miss their best players to overseas trips and the obvious risks that brings - should clubs be too bothered about the cups this season as City have always been or is it a case of squad management and resting the stars so that they’re available for the big games?

Both Shankly and Paisley had a very simple mind set . Liverpool were the best football team ever and if anyone beat them it was by luck or cheating . Rest of the world hated it Liverpool fans loved it . A very different era and very different times . Where Shankly still alive and managing Liverpool he would be head line news every day . Bob would probably still not say too much . Shankly is the reason I am a Liverpool fan and love Liverpool the team , it is also why I still despise Liverpool the club . Both of those Gentlemen were admired and respected by all who knew them in the game and despite what you might believe they had great respect for all other football men they played and coached against (Shankly and Busby were great friends away from the game despised each other when they played each other ) Shankly was a unique and in my view wonderful man , he made fans promises and kept them and those that do that are very rare . It is to all other teams detriment that they were never managed by Shankly , it is to Liverpool's luck that they were . It is to the Clubs shame the way they treated him when he retired . I met Mr Shankly once and he was everything I knew he would be , because of him I will be a Liverpool fan till I die .

To add a little perspective, my father was involved in the Merseyside football scene in the 60's and 70's and knew Shankly and all his successors well (despite being a blue:D). As a teenager I went with him to many games at Goodison sitting in the Directors box.

While everyone in the club loved and respected Shanks the problem was that he realised fairly soon after retiring that he'd made a mistake and retired too early. He started to come back to the club and training ground and was interfering with Paisley's management of the club. Shankly was not a hands-off type. Paisley and the club quickly realised that this couldn't continue so they had to insist that he stay away. The turn of events was regrettable but necessary.

Are Spurs threatening to be title contenders? I know they blew a 3 goal lead against West Ham recently but a tight win away at Burnley has put them right in the mix.

Title contenders..nah... don't see it. Its only 5 or 6 games in and half the league is still in the mix. Wait till its 10 or 12 games in.
Can Kane stay fit..not usually.

Just heard Pep on R4 sports saying muscular injuries up 47% on last season for the same period, sign of the team playing too many games I imagine? They now have 10 injuries to deal with as @oldius has mentioned earlier up the thread. Just had a look at the current LFC first team squad and was surprised to see that 13 players have been out this season with injuries, that includes the long term stuff that has happened recently.

Assuming the ‘big teams’ have ambitions to go far in Europe and with yet another international break on the horizon when clubs miss their best players to overseas trips and the obvious risks that brings - should clubs be too bothered about the cups this season as City have always been or is it a case of squad management and resting the stars so that they’re available for the big games?

This season is proving to be a big challenge already. Too early to judge, of course, but this could really be a year where unexpected outcomes occur and when the toll on many players is simply too great to bear.

Liverpool very poor first half against the Danish champions, created nothing and lost Fabinho to a hamstring injury early on

Liverpool very poor first half against the Danish champions, created nothing and lost Fabinho to a hamstring injury early on

Hard to watch. Losing Fabinho is another tough blow, but this is a good opportunity for Williams. Looks like Henderson is also out.

Hopefully they find a way to get a goal, and keep their other starters on the bench.

Edit: 1-0. :)

Henderson is fine by all accounts, just a precaution for a knock... let's hope Fabinho injury isn't too serious... it'll be a minimum of 3-4 weeks if it's anything more than a grade one, his face suggested it was quite serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back