advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

so just how much money do the gazillions of fans that United have contribute?
Do you really think that the shirts you see being worn in the Far East are genuine
United branded products? They will be rip offs like you buy in any UK street market.
As for Tottenham ”earning “ some right. Outside of London Spurs are are considered an utter irrelevance of a joke club. All fur coat and no nickers. A fancy new stadium but a crap team playing in it. What have they won? Arsenal have not been significant for several years now and despite spending more on individual players than City ever have United’s catastrophic club management means they will not be at the top table as long as they keep their current structure. Liverpool too have paid more for individual players than City ever have, flared like a shooting star momentarily then faded out of view.
Despite spending repeated record transfers it took Ferguson longer than Pep has been at City to win the the European cup. Considering the way they hoovered up any talent for decades and spent fortunes on the way his two champions league wins were a poor return.

City don't spend more than ~£60m on a player but they just buy lots of them in the £50-£60m range. I think United have only had 5 transfers over £50m, and two of those, Di Maria and Lukaku they pretty much made the money back when sold, although I believe Inter Milan still owe a large chunk of that £75m fee still.

Just the two CL trophies in that period is poor, although having 3 CL finals in the space of 4-years, loosing to the best Barcelona team in years, twice, is not to be sniffed at.

Also, as to not being at the top table, being 2nd in the League, and 3rd the year before, I'm not sure what else other than actually winning it you can do? They have also revised the scouting/procurement structure so it will be interesting to see how this changes after the summer transfer window.
Uniteds lack of Director of Football position, or any real structure has really not helped the scatter gun approach to buying players, especially when you work under very different managers (Moyes, Van Gaal, Jose and Ole) with each one having a different philosphy. You spend the next 2-3 years getting those no longer required players off the books.
This is something Man City got right, early on with their recruitment.

This was always going to be the problem of losing the CL to another PL team, the endless jibes.:rolleyes:

Bore off! :D
I think you're getting off lightly.
I've no doubt that if City had prevailed in the final this thread would have been several pages longer - and definitely not in a good way.;)
Anyway just in case you'd forgotten.:cool:

So let’s strip Liverpool of their standard chartered sponsorship. A company convicted of laundering drug cartel money and strip United of their Saudi sponsorship and their Aeroflot, the soviet airline, sponsorship.
And let’s throw the Russian gangster who bankrolls Chelsea out of the country too and stop them spending money stolen from the Russian people.

Or is your high horse selective?

Will you be appealing to CAS?

And in other news away from this squalid argument, I was mulling over the effect the foreign players have had on home grown ones......despite reservations at the time, I think their technical game has benefited hugely which has in turn given Southgate a wealth of young talent to work with going forward.

On the lighter side of the news, i entered a sweepstake and received Germany for my troubles. Looking forward to the Euros even more now, that i have a team to watch and follow, away from our young lions.

And in other news away from this squalid argument, I was mulling over the effect the foreign players have had on home grown ones......despite reservations at the time, I think their technical game has benefited hugely which has in turn given Southgate a wealth of young talent to work with going forward.

I would agree, in conjunction with the rise of academies. Long term, it would be nice to think that it is the latter that provides the stars. Certainly, at City, there is a lot of talent at U18 and U23 that I would like to see emerge: Delap, Doyle, Palmer, McAtee, Borges and Lavia especially.

I would agree, in conjunction with the rise of academies. Long term, it would be nice to think that it is the latter that provides the stars. Certainly, at City, there is a lot of talent at U18 and U23 that I would like to see emerge: Delap, Doyle, Palmer, McAtee, Borges and Lavia especially.

Not knowing the youth players at Manchester City, do you think they'll get a chance, Oldius?.. likely they'll suffer like the Chelsea talent, that seemed to spend most of their careers on loan to other clubs.

Not knowing the youth players at Manchester City, do you think they'll get a chance, Oldius?.. likely they'll suffer like the Chelsea talent, that seemed to spend most of their careers on loan to other clubs.

It's difficult to know. They are immensely gifted, winning both the U18 and U23 championships. The Chairman also speaks of 3-4 that have an outstanding prospect.
Though City have been criticised by rivals for not promoting academy players, it is worth noting that the investment in the academy began with this intake so, if it comes to fruition, these will be the players that were recruited and trained under the new regime.

But, but, I seem to remember that you only gave us a choice between being inconsolable or insufferable. So you’ve only got yourself to blame!!

Oh, and by the way…

You mentioned being insufferable IF you won. I edited your post to say WHEN you win. I knew all along you'd win so you have nothing on me there. ;)

How is Chelsea talent suffering? Post Lampard, plenty of players coming through the ranks to first team and even those like Tomori who has earned himself a permanent deal at AC Milan after a loan spell has hardly suffered.

Even before Lampard, how many players left Chelsea Academy to become superstars?

You mentioned being insufferable IF you won. I edited your post to say WHEN you win. I knew all along you'd win so you have nothing on me there. ;)

I still plan on being insufferable for a tad longer…

giphy.gif

How is Chelsea talent suffering? Post Lampard, plenty of players coming through the ranks to first team and even those like Tomori who has earned himself a permanent deal at AC Milan after a loan spell has hardly suffered.

Even before Lampard, how many players left Chelsea Academy to become superstars?
In the early days, our first team use of our youth setup was very sparse, most had more impact away from Stamford Bridge.

Indeed, but do you think City will ever be as successful as the two biggest clubs in this country?

They are the most successful team of the decade; it depends on how far you want to look back.

advertisement

Back