advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Congratulations Leicester. Brilliant goal and two world class saves from Kasper. The pictures of the owner were great knowing what his family and the club have been through in recent years.

Chelsea are going to use this defeat to win the Champions League so I still make them favourites for that.

VAR should not be used to decide if someone’s toenail is ahead of the defender, however it appears that the footballing authorities believe it should. I also don’t recall any Chelsea fans complaining about the Sterling goal against them being chalked off due to VAR. So on this occasion my sympathies go with Leicester. Great saves from Schmeicel.
Well done Leicester.

Trouble is the assistant refs seem to duck out of flagging offsides.
To fair to linesmen, and lady linesmen!, they’re instructed not to flag. VAR could be made to work for the better of the game, but only if the ‘clear and obvious error’ principle is applied consistently.

Also, one day a player is going to get badly and unnecessarily injured due to assistant refs keeping their flag down. An attacker is well offside, play goes on, attacker running in on goal, defender has no choice but to try to make up lost ground, stretches, lunges, broken bones. It’s a bad and potentially highly dangerous law.

VAR should not be used to decide if someone’s toenail is ahead of the defender, however it appears that the footballing authorities believe it should. I also don’t recall any Chelsea fans complaining about the Sterling goal against them being chalked off due to VAR. So on this occasion my sympathies go with Leicester. Great saves from Schmeicel.
Well done Leicester.
That is a good point, but I’d go back to ‘clear and obvious’. There were two penalty calls involving Sterling. The first involving the totally brilliant and underrated Billy Gilmour, I thought was not a penalty, but the ref’s decision to give it was not a clear and obvious error so Chelsea fans have to shout at their 90 inch OLED. The second Involving the wonderful Kurt ‘Happy’ Zouma did look like a penalty, but again, not clear and obvious so this time city fans have to shout at their stolen telly.

VAR will never obviate shouting at the telly, but the offside situation needs looking at, not least because a player will get seriously injured one day

I actually thought Tuchel got his team selection wrong yesterday.
Reece James did a great job in negating the threat of Vardy who was invisible for most of the match but the cost of that was to have Dave playing as a wing back and posing no threat whatsoever going forward down the right hand side.
IMHO he should have played Zouma (who is a real threat at set pieces and has pace in abundance) which would have allowed James to play in his normal position and drop Dave to the bench.
Regardless of all that - well done Leicester!

So not a clear and obvious error!

Those coloured lines show be taken away, if you can’t tell without them it’s not clear and obvious and the initial on field decision should stand

The clear and obvious error test doesn't apply for 'factual' tests, here's what the premier league site says on this subject:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1293321

When will VAR be used in Premier League matches?
The VAR is constantly monitoring the match.

VAR is used only for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

But factual decisions such as offsides, and the issue of whether a player is inside or outside the penalty area, are not subject to the "clear and obvious" test.

If the VAR sees an error has been made in such a situation they will intervene, regardless of how marginal the decision is.

There is a high bar for the VARs to intervene on subjective decisions, to maintain the pace and intensity of matches.

The clear and obvious error test doesn't apply for 'factual' tests, here's what the premier league site says on this subject:

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1293321

When will VAR be used in Premier League matches?
The VAR is constantly monitoring the match.

VAR is used only for "clear and obvious errors" or "serious missed incidents" in four match-changing situations: goals; penalty decisions; direct red-card incidents; and mistaken identity.

But factual decisions such as offsides, and the issue of whether a player is inside or outside the penalty area, are not subject to the "clear and obvious" test.

If the VAR sees an error has been made in such a situation they will intervene, regardless of how marginal the decision is.

There is a high bar for the VARs to intervene on subjective decisions, to maintain the pace and intensity of matches.
Yes, I know but the rules need changing. 1) As a fan I can’t celebrate a goal for several minutes after the ball has hit the net. 2) Opposition fans celebrating after a highly marginal decision seems a negative and 3) not calling even a clear and obvious offside could lead to serious injury

I actually thought Tuchel got his team selection wrong yesterday.
Reece James did a great job in negating the threat of Vardy who was invisible for most of the match but the cost of that was to have Dave playing as a wing back and posing no threat whatsoever going forward down the right hand side.
IMHO he should have played Zouma (who is a real threat at set pieces and has pace in abundance) which would have allowed James to play in his normal position and drop Dave to the bench.
Regardless of all that - well done Leicester!
Yes, we effectively played a back 4 with Alonso high on the left, and not a lot on the right.

On a positive note Werner wasn’t caught offside every two minutes

Chelsea look so much more potent when Havertz plays with Werner and then keep Mount and Pulisic back to terrify the bejesus out of the opposition with 20 mins to go... Alonso starting was a mistake too

Yes, I know but the rules need changing. 1) As a fan I can’t celebrate a goal for several minutes after the ball has hit the net. 2) Opposition fans celebrating after a highly marginal decision seems a negative and 3) not calling even a clear and obvious offside could lead to serious injury

Sorry, I mistook your comment as implying the rules weren't being followed. I agree, the pendulum has swung too far in favour of 'correct' decisions at the expense of the flow of the game. Ideally we'd have both, but the priority should be the flow of the game.

I wonder what would happen if you had an appeal system, like cricket, where the captain could question a decision and then get a VAR type review. So long as it was limited to say, 1 appeal per game, it might keep the flow but fix the most obvious mistakes.

Fully agree with your point 3.
Letting play run on will, as you say, inevitably lead to an injury.

Ah great, Jota ruled out for the rest of the season with a foot injury, here’s to better luck next season

well if Deli Ali doesn't find a new team/new contract for next season, then at least he's first in line for Pirates of the Caribbean 25 should Jonny Depp be unavailable.

advertisement

Back