advertisement

All purpose football thread 20-21 season II

Bellingham is a class act but playing so often at that age can make for a short career, especially when you are such a physical player too. Nurtured, he could achieve greatness.

Bellingham is a class act but playing so often at that age can make for a short career, especially when you are such a physical player too. Nurtured, he could achieve greatness.
Yes, you could be right. Even though he was subbed he probably did more running than most of the players who played the whole match. Hopefully Dortmund are keeping an eye on running stats with all the sports science that clubs have access to.

I’ll be honest I could barely watch when we got the penalty and Mahrez stepping up. I can live with failure it’s the hope that kills me. Foden’s goal was marvellous though. He’s turning into quite the player. What has happened to Sterling though? He’s looking very out of sorts.

I’ll be honest I could barely watch when we got the penalty and Mahrez stepping up. I can live with failure it’s the hope that kills me. Foden’s goal was marvellous though. He’s turning into quite the player. What has happened to Sterling though? He’s looking very out of sorts.

He is very out of form and his confidence appears low. He has more goals and assists than anyone at City though so I hope he pulls through or moves on: I do not like to watch any player suffer in that way.

I think Pep just prefers Phil down the left side at the moment, which has been Sterling’s best position for a while and Mahrez has improved so much, he’s getting picked on the right for the bigger games. Sterling has been playing well for a few seasons now under Pep and is just going through a dip at the moment. It wasn’t that long that there was even talk of him going to Real Madrid and he’d nailed down than Left side enough that Sane couldn’t get enough game time and left.

He’ll come good again, just needs to work through it.

I've been a little disappointed with Sterling this season overall. He is still a very good player on his day, but for me, he often misses a vital pass or release. He can get himself into some brilliant attacking positions and scoring opportunities, but so often then fails to deliver at the vital moments. He's not a natural finisher for sure. His game misses that. On this form, does he deserve to go to the Euros?

Agreed. The fine 3 years ago was derisory but also a bit pointless. This shameful behaviour beggars belief, on the eve of the Hillsborough anniversary too, its disgusting. If they can ID these idiots a lifetime ban is in order at the very least.

Thinking over this issue, it's a difficult one for the football authorities to deal with. Punishing the club is possibly not fair - the offenders might actually be fans of other clubs etc. and could do that so Liverpool are then punished. It's really up to the Police to act and identify the offenders and for the Courts to deal with them very hard - shame them and give them a stint in Prison and then attach a rehabilitation course requirement.

I thought the scenes a few years ago outside Upton Park by "West Ham Fans" on the Manchester United team bus were equally awful to watch. I don't remember too much being done about that at the time either.

I've been a little disappointed with Sterling this season overall. He is still a very good player on his day, but for me, he often misses a vital pass or release. He can get himself into some brilliant attacking positions and scoring opportunities, but so often then fails to deliver at the vital moments. He's not a natural finisher for sure. His game misses that. On this form, does he deserve to go to the Euros?

You’ve pretty much nailed it but I’d still take him to the Euros as he might still be able play himself back into form by then.

Last edited:
This seems to be his problem, he does the hard work then the pass or shot goes astray. Thinking about it he’s played so many games and done so much over the last two seasons, a dip in form is pretty understandable.

I’m afraid I’d leave him at home.
Foden, Bellingham and even Sancho are more effective currently.

Bellingham looks like quite the player. I always think when they start too young though they burn out, Fowler and Rooney are just two examples, done by their late twenties.

Thinking over this issue, it's a difficult one for the football authorities to deal with. Punishing the club is possibly not fair - the offenders might actually be fans of other clubs etc. and could do that so Liverpool are then punished. It's really up to the Police to act and identify the offenders and for the Courts to deal with them very hard - shame them and give them a stint in Prison and then attach a rehabilitation course requirement.

I thought the scenes a few years ago outside Upton Park by "West Ham Fans" on the Manchester United team bus were equally awful to watch. I don't remember too much being done about that at the time either.
The other fans red herring!
You are aware a Liverpool director even tried that at Heysel?
When City’s bus was trashed despite much coverage, yobs standing on police vans to throw bricks etc, not one charge was brought due to insufficient evidence.

The other fans red herring!
You are aware a Liverpool director even tried that at Heysel?
When City’s bus was trashed despite much coverage, yobs standing on police vans to throw bricks etc, not one charge was brought due to insufficient evidence.

What I'm saying is these offenders need to be identified in the same way that the Police found the resources and evidence to identify and prosecute the London Rioters of 2011. The Courts then dealt with those convicted very hard. We need to set an example of what happens in these situations - it's the same for these Twitter/Social Media racists too.

The police in Liverpool are complicit.
When City’s coach was trashed the police Twitter feed announced the change of route and posted regular updates on where the coach was en route.

It wasn’t the Mersey Police’s finest hour that’s for sure. However @Bob McC we should be celebrating today.

It’s also the anniversary of Hillsborough. Time to remember the 96 who went off to watch a football match and never came home.

I read a sad story earlier about someone who gave their ticket to a friend who was killed, then committed suicide himself later. How many lives were ruined by that day?

That could have been any fans from any team. Perhaps we could have a break from our rivalries to reflect on that.

It wasn’t the Mersey Police’s finest hour that’s for sure. However @Bob McC we should be celebrating today.

It’s also the anniversary of Hillsborough. Time to remember the 96 who went off to watch a football match and never came home.

I read a sad story earlier about someone who gave their ticket to a friend who was killed, then committed suicide himself later. How many lives were ruined by that day?

That could have been any fans from any team. Perhaps we could have a break from our rivalries to reflect on that.

I'd agree with that.

Along with Heysel and the Bradford fire I can remember them all.

My game will be terrible - I've not played for ages! :D

Yeah, the 'proper' game should be good. If it matches the quality of PSG/Bayern then we're in for a treat. Anyone who loves the game should search for the 64th minute of the game when Angel Di Maria and Neymar exchange two ridiculous passes. It was the kind of thing you see in training but here they were doing it in the quarter finals of the CL.

:D.

Agree on the PSG game - some of PSG's play in response to the Bayern press was hugely impressive. I wish we could see that level of technical skill more often in the Premiership.

Only saw the second-half last night - seemed City ground out a result, though they did look in 'City control' for most of the half. Out of the remaining semi-finalists, PSG are the toughest draw for City I think. Poch's fluid but slightly chaotic football may pip Pep's metronomic perfectionism.

:D.

Agree on the PSG game - some of PSG's play in response to the Bayern press was hugely impressive. I wish we could see that level of technical skill more often in the Premiership.

Only saw the second-half last night - seemed City ground out a result, though they did look in 'City control' for most of the half. Out of the remaining semi-finalists, PSG are the toughest draw for City I think. Poch's fluid but slightly chaotic football may pip Pep's metronomic perfectionism.

That 3 of Mbappe, Neymar and Angel Di Maria are going to be an absolute nightmare to handle and the rest know how to dig in and defend. I can't see us beating them TBH and I wouldn't be surprised if they go on and win it having got the the final last year.

I thought Stones & Dias did good job to keep Haaland quiet fairly last night. The minute he breaks free with a ball over the top then all bets are off. Hopefully him being under the radar a bit will help in trying to get him to City!

I’m hoping Cancello is back for the semi, he gives us a little more solidity and his ability to play out is immense.

I’m hoping Cancello is back for the semi, he gives us a little more solidity and his ability to play out is immense.

Against the pace of MBappe, Walker is essential. Cancelo is much the better footballer though. On the left, I think that Zinchenko has earned his place.

Against Chelsea, I think it will be a tough game, partly because of last night. By the end of the game, Bernardo, KDB and Phil had run their hearts out. I think Gabby will play on the left and Phil will be a substitute. Sergio may feature too. I don't think the defence will change much.

advertisement

Back