advertisement

All-in-One Advice Please

Garythebass

Due to downsizing, I’m looking to get an all-in-one streaming system.

Current system is Audiolab 8200CDQ, 8200MB power amps into PMC DB1i speakers.

For streaming I am using a Squeezebox touch and the majority of listening is via Tidal.

My budget would extend to, say, a Naim Uniti Atom, but I am fine with looking at the used market, so something like Uniiti 2, Superuniti or Linn Majik DSM.

My listening area is a lounge/diner, so not ideal, but it’s what I have to work with!

Dimensions are 23’ x 13’, and speaker placement isn’t so good – across the room and a little too much into a corner (one reason why I shortlisted the Majik DSM after reading about SPACE Optimisation).

I don’t need massive volume, but something that will perform well at modest levels.

Any thoughts you have on the above options, or other suggestions, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

A pair of KEF Wireless LS50s. Speaker/Amp/Dac/Streamer all in. Add a smart phone or ipad for control and an internet connection are you are all set. They come with various profiles for placement, so you do not necessarily need stands.

If you like Audiolab, I have an Audiolab M-One sitting unused. I used with P3ESR, which my son now has, dammit. I paired it with an Aries Mini, so two boxes, but still small.
If you are keeping the PMC, which are probably better than the newer ones, you'd need more power.

Hi,

I put a Linn Majik DSi into a pair of Shahinian Arcs for someone and it sounds amazing at all levels.

Put one on your short list to try and listen to, the Kazoo control point is very good, controls everything including the volume.

Cheers

John

PS, yes the Space really does work magic as well.

The new Primare is very nice , the baby model will be out at the end of the month .We have the full fat model in stock and its way better than it should be

The older generation of Naim streamers were developed when web based streaming services like Tidal did not exist, and they were developed primarily for UPnP streaming a local storage. If you want to use Tidal, the new generation of streamers like the Atom would be a better bet for reliable performance.

Nothing against Naim but there must be far better streaming allinoneish solutions for the same money.

I reckon the current uniti range is actually very good. Certainly sounds better than active ls50’s.
If there is a better new all in one unit at the uniti price, I’ve not heard it yet.

Good luck with your search....and do let us know when you are selling the 8000's (I need 2 M's!).

I had a Superuniti but found the wireless connection a bit hit and miss. If you can hard wire I am sure it will be fine.

I had a Superuniti but found the wireless connection a bit hit and miss. If you can hard wire I am sure it will be fine.
The old Naim streamers did have poor WiFi performance, and really needed a wired connection. That is not the basis of my criticism of their web streaming abilities, though. Tidal in particular can often suffer from high latency, which the small buffer in the old models could not always cope with. The much larger buffer in the new models addresses this.

If you like Audiolab, I have an Audiolab M-One sitting unused. I used with P3ESR, which my son now has, dammit. I paired it with an Aries Mini, so two boxes, but still small.
If you are keeping the PMC, which are probably better than the newer ones, you'd need more power.
Yes, the DB1i are staying due to being an acceptable compromise between sound and WAF!
Not as much WAF as using the TV for music, but a divorce would come before that happens

advertisement

Back