advertisement

All change on the BBC app train

I use iPlayer radio a lot. However Sounds is ok too. Is there an SQ difference?
On iPlayer you could choose between 3 different levels. On sounds, you just get what you're given. File sizes appear to be less than half that of the same download on the higher rate on iPlayer, so they must be lower res files.

I use iPlayer radio a lot. However Sounds is ok too. Is there an SQ difference?

I can't tell. iPlayer will provide 320k aac. But I don't know what "Zounds!" can provide for sure. Only that it seems when I've downloaded explit 'podcast' version in the past they were 128k mp3. However I've also been able to use 'get iplayer' to obtain these as 320k aac in many cases, but this means using a non-BBC method.

The lack of clarity for me is if this ends the iPlayer *app*, but leaves the rest of the iPlayer unaffected. If the entire iPlayer web interface is shut it would be a disaster! However TV ain't 'Zounds!'. so I'm hoping all that is going is the 'app' for mobile devices and mere computer users, etc, like me can still use iPlayer pages. Not clear yet, though.

There was an update for the iPlayer iOS a few days ago, supposedly 'Minor bug fixes', I wonder if it was to plant a ticking time bomb in there.

Is there BBC Sounds plugin for the Squeezebox?

I use the BBC iPlayer Radio plugin a lot - even had it running Flac during their brief trial.

...but the current 320kbps AAC sounds great on the Squeezebox - it would be really depressing to lose this.

Is there BBC Sounds plugin for the Squeezebox?

I use the BBC iPlayer Radio plugin a lot - even had it running Flac during their brief trial.

...but the current 320kbps AAC sounds great on the Squeezebox - it would be really depressing to lose this.

It's not required at the moment, the Triode/bpa plugin works indepently of the "Sounds" and iPlayer Radio apps.
One day it will end though :(.

Edit:
"Sounds" replaced the iPlayer Radio on the iPlayer web pages a long time ago.

I have found BBC Sounds easier to navigate using my ipad due to the bigger screen but on my ipod it is dreadful. It is seldom I use either as I still have FM on 3 systems & I know it can be compressed but if it is bad (like Verdi's Requiem at last year's Proms) I just switch it off & play something else. My main internet radio source is the myTunerRadio App which has lots of good quality from around the world.

What a shame. I understand they need to attract young listeners and so are aggressively marketing Sounds (hence also blocking BBC radio on TuneIn), but is it still the case that you can't run Sounds on an iPhone or iPad that doesn't have a recent version of iOS running? If it is, I've got a problem as my devices are getting on and will be slowed down by using iOS 11, 12 or whatever. I'd imagine a lot of people are in this situation.

What a shame. I understand they need to attract young listeners and so are aggressively marketing Sounds (hence also blocking BBC radio on TuneIn), but is it still the case that you can't run Sounds on an iPhone or iPad that doesn't have a recent version of iOS running? If it is, I've got a problem as my devices are getting on and will be slowed down by using iOS 11, 12 or whatever. I'd imagine a lot of people are in this situation.
It runs on iOS 11 or later.

It runs on iOS 11 or later.
I have 10.3.... on my phone. 12 will slow my iPhone SE, so what should people in my situation do? It does seem absurd that they can't make sounds compatible with earlier iOS software. I can play CD quality Qobuz on my phone (and even my older iPad, which won't even accept anything later than iOS 10), so I'm sure the BBC could manage the same with Sounds.

I too use the iPlayer radio app a lot. Not looking forward to the change.

& I've just had a play with current release of the BBC Sounds app - yep, it's a slow, messy turd in comparison.
<grizzles some more />

advertisement

Back