Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Alec Baldwin

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matt j, Oct 22, 2021.

1. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

In the 1880s cartridges would still have been black powder.

2. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

But if you use black powder in a film, the whole set would disappear in a cloud of smoke after about three rounds had been discharged.

Rob998 likes this.
  3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Cowboy films are hardly models of historical accuracy. Hanging off a horse, firing a Colt 45 one handed? It would blow itself out of your hand and possibly break your arm in the process. Added to which, all this heroic faceoff in the street stuff? Most scores were settled in an alley by someone waiting in the dark.

4. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

It's a tragedy for all involved. But if it turns out to be the result of a badly run production then Baldwin as producer surely bears some responsibility.

5. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Possibly but I doubt that is his main concern at the moment.

paulfromcamden likes this.
  6. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

If someone passes you a firearm and tells you its 'safe' and you point it at someone and fire it, without double checking first, then you are an idiot who deserves jailtime.

CraShWilliams likes this.
  7. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

Reports this morning that the Assistant Director Dave Halls, who handed the loaded gun to Baldwin, has previous form.

...when Halls did hold safety meetings, they were short and he was dismissive, saying the guns used would be the same as the production always uses, and questioning why they'd have to hold the meetings in the first place.

Halls complained about having a gun "cleared" (inspected by a licensed professional on set, such as an armorer) for a scene where an actress would aim the gun to her own head and pull the trigger.

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/10/24/...ssistant-director-halls-complaints/index.html

8. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Not if you are handed the gun by the professional who is there specifically to prepare the guns and you are an actor. Besides, the only way he could have checked is to completely unload and reload each round, checking each one.
    In any case, I'll bet that someone bungled because they were talking on their cellphone while preparing the gun.

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

How are you to know, if you are an actor and not a firearms expert? I don't know how to check a prop gun is safe, I doubt many do. That's why film sets employ armourers.

alan967tiger likes this.
  10. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

It’s not difficult. A few minutes with the weapon and an expert would be enough.

IanW and Eyebroughty like this.
  11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I get that, and I imagine that people who have been on as many film sets as AB have spent enough time handling firearms to have a reasonable understanding of what's going on, just as I'm not an electrician but I know how an electrical panel works. Guns are generally simple machines after all.. I'm just taking issue with the assertion that it's the actor's responsibility when there's a trained expert on hand. I can't always check an engineer's work in a factory after all. SUre, if it's obviously falling apart with wires hanging out I'll take him to task, but otherwise I have to take him at his word.

12. CraShWilliams

CraShWilliams pfm Member

Back in the day, when we were handed a weapon (out of an armoury), it would be checked straight away.

Weapons passed between individuals, would always be checked as they were handed over.

If we ever picked up a weapon and unsure of it's state, it would be checked.

Etc.

Someone on this Set, has massively f+cked up, allegedly.

13. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Tony, when you send a pilot up in a chopper or plane do they personally check it out to be sure that it’s airworthy or do they have trust in the engineers that it’s fit for flight?

Ie - there is someone on set whose job it is to be sure the weapon is in fact ready for the scene at hand. It’s not a difficult job and he (or actually a she in this case) deserves the blame. She even expressed worry about her not being ready for the chief firearms role (!) I believe it was her fathers duty previously.

whoever’s job it is to pass the suitable weapon to the actor/actress in a fit state to be used should (imo) take the blame, sorry but the buck has to stop.

Guinnless likes this.
  14. CraShWilliams

CraShWilliams pfm Member

I have to disagree with your analogy @Rug Doc any pilot about to go off in a chopper, would carry out pre-flight checks - they certainly would not get in to said chopper/plane whatever and turn the thing on a and fly off. Nor should anyone pick up a weapon and press the trigger without knowing what state it's in.

15. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

my point is that there is someone on set who’s only job it is to be sure the weapon is ready to use.

16. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Just saw a report on the Italian media, quoting TMZ (?), to the effect that police have found live rounds in or around the set and that members of the crew had been playing around shooting at targets with live ammunition.

17. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

To quote Humphrey Bogart, ‘So many guns, so few brains’.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  18. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

I drive buses. Before that bus goes out in the morning, it is checked by me. It is checked throughout the day- where practicable- as some Bus Stands have main roads to the right hand side of the bus.

This is on top of Freedom From Defect Inspections, MOT, etc...

If I miss a serious defect on my bus and it is observed by DVSA, then it is on my head. I get the fine and where applicable, points on my licence.

I would be surprised if this tragic incident isn't found to be Alec Baldwin's fault.

*Edited; predictive text and failure to check before posting!*

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
  19. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I think His lawyers have already made sure of that the same day, remember hearing as such.

20. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

On a related note, I really don’t like films that feature guns, shooting and killing as part of the plot or as drama-creating devices.

I know what you’re thinking, what about phasers? Well, that’s different, but the best Trek episodes don’t have phasers either.

Joe