Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Alec Baldwin

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matt j, Oct 22, 2021.

1. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

In the film industry the thing is a prop - no-one would expect it has a live round any more then they'd expect families to be living in the false front sets they are working in, or that a TARDIS will actually take you to another place or time. Something terrible happened here that went way outside the normal safety processes.

Rob998, Guinnless, Fatmarley and 2 others like this.
  2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

I hear reports there were concerns about safety corners being cut on set, so perhaps not all protocols were followed. But having said that, and not knowing anything about how these things work, I wonder whether actors, on a live set, would be expected to check for themselves. I presume they are ‘in character’ and distracting them from the role might be a no-no. So I’d not be surprised to learn that normal practice on set is for the prop person to do the checks, and be relied on for that.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  3. tqineil

tqineil Ubi fides ibi lux et robur

I’ve some recent experience in film production and there are strict rules about using licensed Armourers in the industry when prop weapons are used. I imagine someone has seriously messed up here or it’s a criminal matter…most of the effects are achieved in post production quite easily.
    I can’t see AB recovering from something like this, regardless of where the fault lies

4. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

In Ireland anyway if you’re filming with any kind of firearms you need a firearms expert on set. I gather there’d been complaints during the shoot about corner cutting, maybe this was one of them. Since Baldwin was producing as well as starring it’s not looking good for him.

5. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

There is always the possibility of a malicious nutter being involved.

Fatmarley likes this.
  6. Del monaco

Del monaco Del Monaco

Surely it would not be up to the actor to check.Many would t know how. There are teams around actors whose job it is to check and double check these issues according to strict guidelines I presume. That’s what they are paid to do.you couldn’t expect an actor to check a semi automatic etc. Unless they were experts in firearms and carried appropriate safety certs or qualifications. You would not blame Vic Morrow for not checking the helicopter etc.on that infamous Twighlight Zone shot? There are people and protocols who look after such matters. And there’s always cost cutting on films but it’s unusual for Thais to happen around safety issues.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
  7. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Did you mean ‘would not’ instead of ‘would yet’?

Del monaco likes this.
  8. myles

I'm sure he did.

9. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Surely you’ve seen, oh I dunno, Bond pointing the gun at the camera?

[​IMG]

myles likes this.
  10. myles

Yeah, and look what happens there!

11. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

It is the job of the Armourer to check all weapons. Something like a Colt revolver is easy to verify as nothing is chambered, a Winchester is a lot harder. The snag is that a real close up of a revolver would show the blanks. When you see a revolver being emptied or loaded in a film, you often see complete bullets, are these dummies?

12. myles

You'd bloody hope they were dummies.

13. Bananahead

Bananahead pfm Member

Why is this thread titled Alec Baldwin instead of Halyna Hutchins?

14. zippy

zippy pfm Member

It's basically just a chain of errors - a 'live fire capable' gun shouldn't have been there in the first place, the props man should have checked that it wasn't live rather than just hand it on, Baldwin should have checked it, and as you say he should never have pointed it at someone even if he believed it to be only a prop.

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

If the script calls for a shot with the gun pointed at the viewer, then the gun has to be pointed at the camera and therefore also at the camera operators.

We’ve covered reasons why Baldwin (the actor) might not have been expected/required to check it himself. Which is not to excuse Baldwin (the producer) if safety provisions were short-circuited.

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Yep. Always a chain of events, and any one person in the chain could have stopped it.

That is a core part of Human Factors training in aviation. Training courses often use the iceberg diagram to show that the one incident that results in a crash was preceded by dozens of near misses. That seems to be emerging here too.

17. notaclue

notaclue pfm Member

Useful US legal opinion. Likely negligent or possibly reckless, but not an accident.

PhilofCas likes this.
  18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Because he's famous, and before yesterday most of us knew who he was. Not so Halyna Hutchins, even less so the other person hurt. I'd be very surprised if you or anyone else here knew their name without looking it up. Me? I think it was a man. Beyond that, no idea. So Alec Baldwin it is.

miktec, Caledon1297 and Joe Hutch like this.
  19. AndyU

AndyU pfm Member

According to the Daily Mail ..

“Unionised workers had walked off the set hours before the fatal shooting, after they complained about long hours, shoddy conditions and another safety incident days earlier involving 'two misfires' of a prop weapon. A source said an as-yet unnamed prop master who oversaw the gun had 'just been brought in' to replace the workers who had left. ”

20. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

A gun that can fire blanks is a real gun and can also fire live rounds. In this day and age there is no reason why the camera operator really had to be in the way, just that nobody has bothered to make suitable remote control cinema cameras.