Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Alec Baldwin

Discussion in 'off topic' started by matt j, Oct 22, 2021.

1. matt j

matt j pfm Member

How the flying f**k do live rounds get put into a prop gun on a film set? It is beyond baffling.

2. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Is that what happened?

3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

"a distraught Baldwin had asked why he had been given a firearm apparently loaded with real ammunition. “In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun,”

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Astonishing. Just incomprehensible. I feel almost as sorry for Baldwin as for the poor woman who was killed. Imagine having to live with that for the rest of your life.

5. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Not sure it has been established what happened yet?

Brandon Lee died on a film set, killed by a blank firing gun.

6. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Apparently a ‘prop gun’ whatever that means, was it switched? Just seems baffling.

7. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

Americans and their bloody guns.
    Alec is one of the good guys yes?

8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

The gun that killed Lee had a live round remnant in it from previous firing.

9. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I assumed a prop gun wasn't even real, just a replica incapable of firing they used for filming.

10. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

No

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

They usually fire blanks, probably easier & cheaper to get a real gun in America. It’s really odd.

12. billo

billo pfm Member

I thought it was a fellow actor who he was pointing the gun at but, apparently not

13. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

I’ve fired blanks (fnar) and they are just as scary as the real thing. Nothing can prepare you for the reality of how loud a real gunshot is.
    A blank can kill if you’re close enough to the discharge.

14. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

You never, ever point a gun at anyone unless you intend to kill them.
    Hollywood has lots of tricks up its sleeve with camera angles etc, so it seems that Alec Baldwin messed up.

Hopefully the film makers will use cgi from now on.

IanW and Tarzan like this.
  15. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I would refrain from judgement until the facts are known.

An ex-para mate says that in any injury by firearm someone is responsible. Who that is has not been determined.

MikeMA, myles and Cheese like this.
  16. mykel

mykel Fat guy flying.

Just pure speculation, but I would guess that he was not pointing it at her "directly", but she was in line but down range out of scene far from where any gas/wadding from a blank would/should be discharged?

Horrendous for all involved.

narabdela likes this.
  17. narabdela

narabdela who?

Two people were hit, so not a live round. probably wadding or some other debris in barrel.

However, as mykel says, it's all speculation at the moment.

18. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Must have been a real bullet, not wadding, to kill one person and almost (so far) kill another. One source says it was a frontal film shot with Baldwin aiming right at the camera. Another source says he was "unloading" the gun, which sounds implausible, when it went off. Have to wait to understand what happened.

19. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Firing a gun straight at the camera is a standard viewpoint in a movie that features guns, and that’s exactly where both the cinematographer and director would have been sitting. The incomprehensible thing is how a live round got in there (assuming that is what happened).

20. chartz

chartz If it’s broke fix it!

The prop person has to be guilty.
    A voluntary action?