advertisement

Aldi bandsaw

Well, I bought one.

Haven’t opened the box yet - prob won’t get a chance for a couple of weeks.

Toenails will have to be trimmed the conventional way in the meantime. Fire up the Flymo..!

Well, I bought one.

Haven’t opened the box yet - prob won’t get a chance for a couple of weeks.

Toenails will have to be trimmed the conventional way in the meantime. Fire up the Flymo..!

interesting use of a flymo, I use mine for depilation.

Just reporting back. A couple of niggles - one thread was crossed on an adjustment screw, but luckily I had the right size tap in my mancave. There's no doubt a cast table would be better, and the pressed steel one was a bit askew, but responded to adjustment, and is now square. I might think about knocking up an MDF one instead.
Generally, everything is a bit bendy, but VFM for £79.99 is high. It makes clean straight cuts (maximum thickness I have tried is 20mm so far) but I will take the recommendations here to source a better saw blade as this one seems a bit crude
Thumbs-up from me, at least for light duty and maybe more.

I haven't tried it on my toenails yet.

Just reporting back. A couple of niggles - one thread was crossed on an adjustment screw, but luckily I had the right size tap in my mancave. There's no doubt a cast table would be better, and the pressed steel one was a bit askew, but responded to adjustment, and is now square. I might think about knocking up an MDF one instead.
Generally, everything is a bit bendy, but VFM for £79.99 is high. It makes clean straight cuts (maximum thickness I have tried is 20mm so far) but I will take the recommendations here to source a better saw blade as this one seems a bit crude
Thumbs-up from me, at least for light duty and maybe more.

I haven't tried it on my toenails yet.

Ditch the original blade, is the advise on most new band saws, ring Tuff Saws for a replacement

https://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/

Pete

Yes, a bandsaw is quite good at taking them off. Not quite as good as a circ saw, but good enough. Be careful.

In the first year of my first career back in '87 I split my thumb tip, by getting a small work piece too close to a band saw blade as I was hold the work.

Rather embarrassing considering I was demonstrating use of a band saw to a class of 15 year olds.

I was neatly stitched up at A&E, but three of the kids needed A&E after fainting at the sight of my blood. Only lasted just over a year in that career after I discovered I didn't like children very much....
shame as I had such a passion for my subject

Ah CDT, or did they still call it "craft" back then? My Dad did that for about 30 years. Liked it well enough for most of the time, got rather pissed off towards the end, mostly because his new HoD was an arse. Prior to that he enjoyed it for the reasons you say. The change to the "Design" curriculum didn't really work. Kids would come to him saying "I want to build a bookcase" or "I want to build a record player stand" and previously that's what they would build. The "design" bit dictated that they had to start with a design brief "I want to store XYZ, blah blah, they had to research materials behaviour and one thing and another before they established that a bookcase could be made from wood (who knew?) and then they could start. As far as the kids were comcerned this just delayed the interesting bit, which was actually making something.

A mate of mine doing the same job gave himself a good slashing when he'd just changed a bandsaw blade, fortunately no kids about to faint. Go steady, there's a reason why they were previously classified as "dangerous machines" and legislated accordingly.

Ah CDT, or did they still call it "craft" back then? My Dad did that for about 30 years. Liked it well enough for most of the time, got rather pissed off towards the end, mostly because his new HoD was an arse. Prior to that he enjoyed it for the reasons you say. The change to the "Design" curriculum didn't really work. Kids would come to him saying "I want to build a bookcase" or "I want to build a record player stand" and previously that's what they would build. The "design" bit dictated that they had to start with a design brief "I want to store XYZ, blah blah, they had to research materials behaviour and one thing and another before they established that a bookcase could be made from wood (who knew?) and then they could start. As far as the kids were comcerned this just delayed the interesting bit, which was actually making something.

A mate of mine doing the same job gave himself a good slashing when he'd just changed a bandsaw blade, fortunately no kids about to faint. Go steady, there's a reason why they were previously classified as "dangerous machines" and legislated accordingly.

yep - a fully qualified CDT teacher. Lasted a year in school, before I decided computing was more my thing, and then landed in HE.

I see the Tuffsaws are made to order. Fair enough, but it got me to thinking, 'how the hell do you make a bandsaw blade?'. It must start off having to be joined somewhere, but there my knowledge of metallurgy ends.
I may be gone some time.

It's welded and then ground smooth and retempered at the weld point. It's only steel. There's a raeson why steel is used so much in industry, it's a lovely metal to work with.

As for a spindle moulder, I've not had the pleasure. These, bandsaws and circ saws used to have a specific bit of legislation as "dangerous machines". They were permitted because they do a job, but they had complex guarding requirements, isolation from other operatives, nobody using them under 18, and so on. these days the laws are less prescriptive, they say "you will have an appropriate risk assessment and controls" so it's teh factory's problem. God help you if you injure someone and don't have proper controls, the HSE will do you proper. Quite right too.

I will put a sticky on mine saying 'Are you pissed? If so, go and do something else'
Good plan.
I might have one that says "Listen. You know what this is, and what it does. Don't be a cock."

It' easy to be scornful about safety. Easy until you do what my mate's dad did. He cleared grass clippings out of a blocked lawnmower. Cleared them fine. Cleared his fingers off too. He was a cock. I'm sure that he thought it wouldn't happen to him too, because he had enough common sense.
That's the problem with common sense, it isn't very common.

advertisement

Back