advertisement

Albums accepted as bad that you really like..!

smegger68

Mango Enthusiast
The thread on 'difficult to listen to' albums got me thinking.... talking about Captain Beefheart, one of my favourite albums by him is 'Unconditionally Guaranteed', which Beefheart afficionados revile to a remarkable degree. Even the good Captain himself later disowned it. I LIKE it though, I can't help it.

So give it up one and all! Who has that Five Star album lurking at the back of the cupboard, only to be played when the house is empty? Regard this confessional as a form of Catharsis. You'll feel better :D

I am not ashamed to say that I was listening, ( very loudly) to A Paul Whitehouse and Harry Enfield comilation album called
'Smashie & Nicey present - Lets Rock' , last night.
the Beatles 'Red' 1962-1966 Greatest hits album got a good spanking too, sometimes i just like to listen to some good, well known tunes , without getting into the concept of a whole album.

'Dr Byrds & Mr Hyde' with the Byrds has always been considered bad by the reviewers, as opposed to 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo'. Even in the rare ocassion that sound quality is mentioned it is considered bad on Dr Byrds!
I wouldn't be writing this if my view wasn't the opposite. And Sweetheart is crap, even if it has historical value.

JohanR

"The Man from Utopia" by Uncle Frank is generally dismissed by many FZ fans but was the album that introduced me to the great man and his music, and I have always loved it.

This is a tricky topic to answer, 'cause there are so many records and cds that I really oughtn't to like but really rate...

You really don't want to know...

;)

jtc

John Moore and the Expressway - "Expressway Rising".
Almost universally slated. Just check out the review on AMG. But it's a damn good straight ahead rock album.
So I don't care what anyone else thinks.

Gary

Hey - I rate this album as well..

Now what was his other LP called (The one with the grey colour / oblique angle stretched photo of John looking cool on the front?

DS

OTD - GY!BE - Yaniqui

I'm glad someone else appreciates it. Bit of a lost classic as far as I'm concerned...

I didn't even know he'd done another album.
I know he went onto Black Box Recorder, but I've never heard them.
Anyone know if they're any good?

"An American Prayer" by Jim Morrison with music by the Doors.

Basically this record consists of Jim pompously reading his pretentious 6th form poetry with the Doors playing in the background, but for some reason I like it! It could be because I was a pretentious (and very stoned) 6th former when I first heard it.....

Originally posted by Konteebos
"An American Prayer" by Jim Morrison with music by the Doors.

"Is everybody in? The ceremony is about to commence..."

I like this album too for its stoned out weirdness - ok, musically, it's elevator, but the Ghost Song is easily one of the best Doors moments ever - even if it's not "real" Doors...

OK - here's a couple *I* like:
Flaunt it - Sigue Sigue Sputnik - ground breaking cheese-dance, with sampling all over the place. Musically shocking, but there's something different evey time I hear it!

We are Shampoo - Shampoo - gawdawful teeny punk, but songs like Shiny white taxi cab, Trouble, and Glimmer Globe are unpretentious good fun.

Long cold winter - Cinderella - "Delivers the goods, exactly when and where you need them" (Metal Hammer) - well, that's what the sticker says on my vinyl copy. Cheese 80s glam rock metal at iits worst (best) - Gypsy Road is one of my all time favourite tracks. Wander if The Darkness have heard this one? :)

advertisement

Back