advertisement

Albarrys M408 with Focals

stony

pfm Member
Hello everyone.
I am very tempted to take a pair of Albarrys M408 ones which Dandy put on sale.
One of my friends ask me to hold my horses as in his opinion it is not an obvious choice for my 913 ones.
I went through other discussions and recommendation of amps for Focals but I never heard anything else about running M408 with Focals.
Could you advice guys ?

I own a pair of Tannoy HPD 315 as well so I might try M408 with them.
And some smaller Focals as well (just going through my memory what else I might find in my
attic o_O)

I ran M608s and M1108s with Focal 1028Be speakers for quite some time. I think it’s a supremely musical combination, full of vitality and energy. Much more so than, say, the Hegel 390 into Focal, and that itself is a pretty good combination. I don’t have experience of the M408s, but I fully expect the Albarry signature to have been consistent across all 3 models.

I ran M608s and M1108s with Focal 1028Be speakers for quite some time. I think it’s a supremely musical combination, full of vitality and energy. Much more so than, say, the Hegel 390 into Focal, and that itself is a pretty good combination. I don’t have experience of the M408s, but I fully expect the Albarry signature to have been consistent across all 3 models.

Thank you.
All your fault now:p. Paid and waiting. :cool:

What preamp have you used with yours ?

It’s potentially for sale :) so if you get on with the 408s and might be interested, let me know (PM probably easiest).
Have fun!

lucky you
what about ap4 ? is it worth to get one ?
I haven’t heard the AP4, so can’t really comment I’m afraid, other than to say that people whose opinion I respect have told me that the AP11 is in a different league, sonically. The AP4 was okay, but the Albarry magic was in the power amps, not the preamp, in that era.

I have Albarry 608 along with the AP4 and AP11
When I spoke to Neil at the Whittlbury show ( RIP Mate ) he told me that the 608 and AP11 were disigned to be used together , Also I was told off by Neil for asking about having them serviced , He said " I design and build these products to be used and build them with the best components , So just use them and enjoy the music " Some years later I still do :cool:

I haven’t heard the AP4, so can’t really comment I’m afraid, other than to say that people whose opinion I respect have told me that the AP11 is in a different league, sonically. The AP4 was okay, but the Albarry magic was in the power amps, not the preamp, in that era.

It's a long time ago, but I'd tend to agree. We sold Albarry power amps, but generally with the original version of Musical Fidelity's 'The Preamp.' One customer who bought Albarry had an Audio Research pre-amp, which seemed an unlikely combination, but I had to admit it sounded pretty good in practice when I heard his system.

Stuart Mee of Heybrook was a big fan of the power amps as I recall, and used a passive pre with them when he demonstrated the HB3s to me. Bugger if I can remember what the pre was though, I suspect very possibly something of their own devising.

After a failed attempt to buy a pair of M408s (one of the pair did not turn on) I am still in the game.
I am after M608s as it seems, according to the age of these beauties, to be a better choice.

In this condition they would be cheaper
"Condition is fair. There is damage to the paintwork on the edges of the heatsinks - please see photos. The 'Source/Phono' switch has taken a knock at some point and is slightly bent to one side, "

Nice sounding power amps... if of rather odd design! I once compared a set of the 100W monoblocks with an MF A370 and although the 370 easily beat the Albarry's they got closer than most things.

, Also I was told off by Neil for asking about having them serviced , He said " I design and build these products to be used and build them with the best components , So just use them and enjoy the music "

Thats fine but maybe a bit short-sighted, any electronics may have a certain life span me guess

advertisement

Back