Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Albarry M1108 monobloc power amplifiers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Sue Pertwee-Tyr, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Well, I can dream, can’t I?

OK, so after a fair bit of prevarification, these are now definitely up for sale. (I'd resurrected an old thread on the pre/monoblocs selling as a package, but the preamp has already sold so the thread title might have misled a few people, hence this new FS thread).

These amps were the ultimate expression of designer Neil Burnett's design wizardry and date from late 2013. 110W into 8 Ohms, pretty much doubling into 4 and, according to Neil, again into 2 Ohms and capable of almost a kW into transients. I certainly never noticed any lack of grunt, using a variety of speakers. They're also pretty bomb-proof and with the fastest protection circuit I know.

I LOVE these amps, not just because they sound incredibly musical but because I also love the way they look, hence why I've been havering over the sale. But they're not getting used and that's a real shame. They deserve to shine in somebody else's system now. They deserve a really, really good preamp too. Something like a Nagra would be stunning.

I think £2200 is a fair price (there was recently a new pair on Italian eBay asking >€7k) but I'd be happy to let them go to a fellow Fishie for £2000 for a quick sale. Their condition is very good to excellent, but not mint (there's a little bit of scuffing to the back panel due to usage, but the heatsink side cheeks are unmarked). The 'LEFT' and 'RIGHT' stickers are mine, just DYMO and will easily peel off without marking the paint, I just found it easier to identify them for connecting/disconnecting, if I made it a bit more obvious which was which.

Delivery at cost, or if you're within 50 miles of Manchester, I'd be happy to deliver them by my own fair, Covid-free hands, travel restrictions permitting. Or collection, again subject to whatever Rules Boris decides on, at the time, obvs.

Pics shortly. Thanks for your interest. :)

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

3. Neil P

Neil P pfm Member

was there something quirky about these amps inner design?

4. Tim Spicer

Tim Spicer Member

Hi Sue

I am based in Melbourne Australia and I am interested in these. I have the M608s at present but would like to upgrade. My preamp is an older Gryphon Elektra with Orestes phonostage. The 608s seem to match very well and I have been happy but others on various UK forums say the 1108s are a significant upgrade.

If you are prepared to package well (do you have the original box?), insure them and ship to Australia (all at my expense) I will buy them.

But it would need to be a PayPal transaction with me picking up any fees.

Alternatively, I’m not sure if it would work but if you put them on eBay with shipping costs and insurance to Australia allowed and included, and we arranged a time for the listing (across time zones) so it didn’t get bought by someone else, that would work for me. Again, I would pick up eBays selling fee.

If that works for you please let me know.

Hope to hear from you soon

Cheers

Tim

5. robbyd

robbyd pfm Member

Beautiful

6. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Should be the cheapest option. List them at double price and allow offers. Job done.

7. Tim Spicer

Tim Spicer Member

Make it three times so long as I can buy at £2200

8. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Only if they fit within the weight/size limits of EPay international shipping, which they may not!!

I'd forgotten about that.............................

9. Tim Spicer

Tim Spicer Member

I think these will weigh about 14 kg plus packaging so 18 kg at most.

10. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

If it were me, I'd make and ship in plywood crates, but unless the regulations have changed, the crates would not be allowed into Oz.

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Thanks Tim, I’ll look into this tomorrow. And yes, I went from M608s to M1108s and they are IMHO significantly better.

12. Tim Spicer

Tim Spicer Member

Thanks Sue - for your peace of mind I am spice.ti on eBay (I think I am a 5-star rated buyer) and have bought many items from eBay UK - e.g. my Mission 775SM turntable. Cheers. Tim

13. Tim Spicer

Tim Spicer Member

...which weighs more than the Albarry’s...

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I have a friend in Melbourne, as it happens. He moved there last year from the U.K. - 2 weeks in a quarantine hotel! He tells me it’s a great city.

I don’t have the boxes, I live fairly close to where Neil Burnett lived and he delivered them personally. I’m sure I can put some strong packaging together though. Also, Neil didn’t leave me any kettle leads, I use aftermarket ones anyway, but I presume you’ll not want U.K. leads anyway?

15. Tim Spicer

Tim Spicer Member

Yes quarantine and lockdowns are a pain - but yes, Melbourne is a great place to live. The weather is a bit naff by Australian standards but that is so ridiculously high by world standards- it’s probably mostly like Spain. But here in Melbourne our lawns are green not brown so it’s pros and cons...

I can certainly live without kettle leads - will
    just use my existing ones.

I loved the tale of two blokes called Alan and Barry setting up the firm back in the 1980s and the rebirth in the 2010s with Neil Burnett (sadly no longer with us) still involved- the Stockport University professor if the legend is true?

If we do proceed please pack with tons of semi rigid foam- it’s the red facias that are most easily damaged. Lots of fragile stickers on the box might help!

Thanks again

Cheers

Tim

16. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Just drop each into a seperate plastic sack - even a bin liner (or two) - they ain't going to get cosmetically damaged, then pack in almost anything compliant.