advertisement

Alan Brownstone RIP

jandl100

Box swapping classical fan
It was with great sadness that I heard of the death earlier today of my friend Alan Brownstone; widely known as AlanB on hifi forums.

A hifi and music fanatic, and tube roller extraordinaire.
He was a true gentleman, and also a gentle man.

He will be much missed by the many friends and acquaintances that he has made over the years.

RIP Alan.

^ Probably.
He lived in Stourbridge in the W Midlands.
An ardent Harbeth and valve man.

Oh dear I bought my amp from him. Very nice chap, spent the day up there spinning some tunes with some small Harbs. Sorry to hear of this. RIP Alan.

Very sorry to hear that a real gent. Bought valves off him and he met me in midland audio for a listening session when I was visiting Birmingham about 5yrs ago. Spent the morning listening to MLs burmeester amp and an expensive UK dac whose name I forget. Met him at Scalford a couple of years as well. He liked lavardin amps also.

Oh that is sad news. We never actually met but I bought loads of valves and a pair of Harbeth Compact 7s off Alan. We had some long conversations on the phone about Harbeths, and he was a great bloke to deal with. I was amazed at the kit that passed through his hands! RIP.

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed. I had the true pleasure to meet Alan a few weeks ago when I visited him and his wife to collect a pair of Harbeth SHL5 plus speakers I bought from him. Alan made my wife and I very welcome, we shared an hour or two listening to music through the Harbeths.

Alan took delivery of a new pair of SHL5 Anniversary speakers a few days later and we were sharing emails with thoughts about the sound of his new speakers. It’s very sad that he only had such a short time to enjoy his new speakers, but I know how happy he was with the anniversary’s. Only on Saturday morning he sent me an email saying how much they sounded so like ESL’s

Rest in peace Alan.

This is an awful shock; I was in touch with him only two days ago. What terrible news.

Jerry, I will send you a pm tomorrow.

known alan for some years and always a joy to talk to , he loved his hi fi and his lovely wife and dogs . i was down with him before christmas listening to those same speakers . he will be sadly missed

Never met Alan in person sadly, but I snapped up two or three bits and pieces from his hi-fi adventures.

A pleasure to trade with, he struck me as someone who'd found the secret of having fun with good audio in his senior days.

I fully intend to learn from this excellent example, and have good fun whilst the time remains.

Wishing you a peaceful rest AlanB. A real gentleman.

Oh No! That’s so sad! Jerry, you and Alan were the two first forum folk I got to know. Back in the wam days Al and I would chat back and forth regularly, mostly about valves. Will pm you Jerry, we should all send a card, let his wife know how well he was liked and respected in our funny little Hifi world. Rest in Peace mate, really sad news.

Very sad news, never met Alan but followed his Hi-Fi adventures on The Wam. Always came across as a true Gentleman, which is reflected in the comments of others. RIP Alan.

BB

Very sad news, Alan was a true gentleman, he was the guy that got me on the road to ruin with valve rolling, we spent many a happy hour or two rolling valves back in the day

RIP Alan

advertisement

Back