advertisement

Akua Naru - Nottingham

Vinny

pfm Member
Presumably a very late change of tour venues - she plays Peggy's Skylight THIS Friday - 17th.

Standing tickets £10, seated £15 + £5 deposit against a meal.

Latest album - The Blackest Joy -

Went to see Antonio Forcione there last year, and we are going to see Maisha next Wednesday

The food is very good.

Pete

Thanks Pete - the menu looks interesting and enticing.

I think that Antonio clashed with a gig for which we already had tickets...………… As for Maisha - logistics mean that gigs have to be VERY special outside of Friday, Saturday or Sunday evenings for us to get there, otherwise we could well have been there Wednesday.

Maisha where very good last night, and the food was excellent.

2 pints on a school night!

Pete

Glad to hear that the trip was worthwhile - Akua Naru likewise – very good, although she really got going only half way through her set – she should have been on longer – I think that she was on for less than an hour. VERY good backing band, including a very fine young lady keyboard player.

The support was very weak – a rapper from Liverpool.

Curiosity got the better of me – Akua Naru is not her real name, she is a Ghanaian brought-up in the US, so her first language has near certainly always been English. Her stage name is Japanese for “be happy”, which cannot, surely, be coincidence? We were there early, to eat, including for the sound-check when she came across as a utterly likeable, down-to-earth individual.

Food also very good, as was the pale ale - a new brew for me - a nice hint of mosaic/citra hops, not over-done as is the current fashion.

Peggy’s (Skylight) is a nice small venue – here’s hoping that it manages to thrive. It has some vague similarity to The Musician in Leicester, albeit that has a very varied guest list, which seems to do just fine. Good luck Rachael and Paul, I’ll keep an eye on who is playing at weekends.

It is a very nice venue, just the right size IMHO, good PA and not too loud.

We got a table right next to to the stage.

Pete

advertisement

Back