advertisement

Akito-2 Bearings - Linn or AudioOrigami

seanspicer

My Akito2 needs its bearings serviced/replaced and I have 2 options, Linn or Audio Origami:
Linn = £200 just the bearings repaired
or
AudioOrigami = £110 just the bearings repaired
+ £110 to replace tonearm cable (cartridge to armbase) with cardas 33awg
+ £110 to replace tonearm cable (armbase to preamp) with super ofc

Does anyone have any recomendations as to which approach i take?

PS - this is on an LP12.

AO.
For the same price almost as Linn bearing work you can get expert bearing service and an internal rewire.
I know what I'd do!

Thanks

TBH I am not very knowledgable about the quality of the parts involved. Is the cardas wire going to be that much better than the stuff already in the Akito?

Yes and AO have an impeccable reputation. If funds are limited then you could have the bearings done alone. Were I ever to have a problem with my Ekos I would send it to AO without hesitation!

Johnnie7 said that cardas tonearm wire will bring the Akito2 close to an Ekos. Can anyone concur?

I think it is a no-brainer to send the arm to AO. I just need to decide if i can justify the cable upgrade as well.

I had my Akito 2B bearings serviced and a Cardas internal rewire, the sound seemed much more balanced in tonal range and the bass improved.

Johnnie7 has serviced or rewired so many different types of arms from different manufacturers and applies his cumulative experience and skill and does a first rate job.

I would recommend Johnnie7 very highly, a top person to deal with and I am talking from several years of dealing with him on a regular basis. I would get the internal rewire done at the same time but you will get an estimate before Johnnie7 starts any work so you could wait and see.

If brass is tight just get the bearings and the internal rewire done, you can get the external lead as and when you wish. I don't know about bringing it up to Ekos levels of performance but he did the biz on my Ittok. Recommended :)

His service is of the highest standard. The arm lead for £110 is better than the £250 T-cable. I had my Ekos bearings replaced , internal rewire and arm lead , its probably as good as it can get. I sold the T-cable.

just the process of your akito coming through audio origamis door renders it instantly ekos se spec.

the addition of a new armcable makes it even better!

the quality of AO's service is such that the worse the arm the bigger the improvement!

LVVs get better than ittoks etc.

It amazes me that anyone buying an Ekos SE doesnt send it straight off just to make sure its ok.

And avondales amplifiers are better than naims.

kirabosi - and you are a grown man who is fixated with linn to a degree that proves mental illness, so much so most forumites ignore you as you are a complete boring twat.
:(
go to J7 - his work is impeccable.

Well thanks for that.

your logic is irrefutable.

My opinion disagrees with yours therefore I am a complete (ly?) boring twat?

isobarik backwards & holy smoke - you should get j7 to do your bearings, you are acting like a stuck record.....
j7 sets up arms better than linn basically.
if you can find someone to tell everyone otherwise then cool but you don't you just keep trying to diss a great and very helpful craftsman and to be mr pro linn to a ridiculous degree....it's like a small child obsessed with rupert bear or some other weird fetish.
don't tell me you are not actually obsessed with linn?
i noticed you even tried to slag of avondale in the same pointless reply to the thread.
bit of a nasty streak.

bit of a nasty streak?

its not me calling people a twat!

There are a few companies that get (in my view) unjustifiably positive reviews on PFM. I am not saying they are bad companies. but they don't necessarily deserve the unquestioningly stepford allegiance of every single positive post.

I simply bring a different perspective.

Why is that so confronting to you?

PS: anyone reading my post surely takes them with a pinch of salt

just the process of your akito coming through audio origamis door renders it instantly ekos se spec.

the addition of a new armcable makes it even better!

the quality of AO's service is such that the worse the arm the bigger the improvement!

LVVs get better than ittoks etc.

It amazes me that anyone buying an Ekos SE doesnt send it straight off just to make sure its ok.

And avondales amplifiers are better than naims.

What, is Linn geting the soup lady to build arms also. Recently gave a hand to an old Linn dealer on moving his shit. He had 2 akito's and a LVX kicking around. The play in all of the arms bearings made me laugh. So much for Rega being inferior to Linn. I thought quality control was paramount at Linn headquarters.

advertisement

Back