advertisement

[WTD] AKAI S700

Gosh, you visiting the world of 12 bit goodness? I dodged all of that stuff, and got stuck into hardware sampling with the K2000, which is of course old school by todays standards of multi-gb sample libraries, but as for stuff fitting on a floppy, hahah :)

Anyhow, best of luck with the search...

Many many years ago I had the keyboard version the X 7000 which was a gnarly beast, Very evocative of all those old Paul Hardccccccccastle & crunchy Greengate DS3 samples. Oh it was an absolute fight to program and edit samples in.

....I never left. Come to think of it bar the Fairlight I don't own a 16 bit sampler.

The only fairlight i've ever seen was in a pile of 'obsolete but being kept for a rainy day' stuff at Realworld Studios. It was leaning against a Hammond. I do wonder if they have got any use since then, i've lost touch with the Realworld peeps.

The only fairlight i've ever seen was in a pile of 'obsolete but being kept for a rainy day' stuff at Realworld Studios. It was leaning against a Hammond. I do wonder if they have got any use since then, i've lost touch with the Realworld peeps.

Ours are Series 3 machines. My one belonged to Chris Hughes.
If you are interested you can see my brothers Fairlight in use here

Never used a Kurzweil sampler. Any good?

Never used a Kurzweil sampler. Any good?

Oh, they're excellent, very deep. They bring lots of interesting modulation options through the 'FUNs' section, allowing you to add and chain various performance ways of modulating the synth engine. Basically you can setup and apply a chain of modifiers to control values (say a pitch wheel or key velocity) and these modified values can then be used within the synth as controls. There are also sum type effects (a + b) to apply multiple controls to one target.

Have a dig through the comprehensive manual - http://k2000.creativebits.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Kurzweil_K2000_Manual.pdf

Very impressive for it's age!

advertisement

Back