advertisement

Aircast boot

hifi_dave

Hi-Fi Retailer
Has anyone here ever been fitted with an Aircast boot ?

I ruptured an Achilles tendonn and was fitted with an Equinis plaster cast for two weeks. I saw a Consultant who then fitted an Aircast boot, which I am struggling with.

Everything I have seen on You Tube makes it look to be comfortable but it is very uncomfortable and painful across my instep. Is that the way it's supposed to be ?

I have this now for 8 weeks and it's a bl**dy nuisance.

Dave , they are quite straight forward

It should have a rubber pump ball thing and a rotary dial with one and two on it

The pump inflated 2 bladders

Put it on the with dial in position one pump the inflater

The turn the dial too position two and inflate that , Job done

You should also have a deflate button

Don't ask how I know !

The one I had a few weeks ago had three inflatable sections, left, right and achilles.

The instep bit was a bit uncomforatable at times, but I found that it cound be improved by experimenting with different positions on the front piece (basically, slide it up or down a bit). This alters where the instep / shin piece joint (front of the ankle) on the boot aligns with the joint of your ankle.

I also founf that if it was it really snug with the two tapes around the calf, it was possible to relieve the pressure on the instep a bit.

Disclaimer; this might not be the safest approach given your injury. If in doubt, phone the physio.

Have you tried different footwear on the other foot? The problem might be caused by differences between the height of the two feet. At least that is the problem my other half has.

I always thought the Aircast company was missing a marketing trick by not including a brochure for footwear which is a good match for the Aircast in with the boot.

Thanks lads for the info and sympathy.

Last night, which was my second night, it was so painful that I was considering going to A&E. My Wife took the plunge, deflated it and massaged my toes. That helped a bit and I managed to get some sleep off and on.

If they are, generally, uncomfortable, then I will have to put up with it for the two months. It's not knowing which is depressing me. I also wonder if it will repair just with this boot. I couldn't stand it if after 8 weeks, it hasn't done the job. I have already wasted 2 weeks with the plaster cast.

Dave
Stick with it. I've completely ruptured both my Achilles and it's a horrific injury. No treatment is plain sailing. Not wanting to depress you but it's a good 9 months for full recovery. The best piece of advice is time. Don't rush anything. Elevate the leg as often as possible.
I've got a really good Achillies Tendon Rupture protocol that I can mail you. PM if interested. It's a good slow step by step rehabilitation protocol. Insist on as much physiotherapy that they will supply.
Good luck
Graham

Thanks for the advice and I would like that 'protocol' please Graham.

The Consultant wasn't particularly sympathetic and basically, left me to get on with it. He must see far more serious damage than mine. What I was asking for was some practical advice and comments from anyone who has been in an Aircast. Yesterday and last night were much better.

Thank you all.

advertisement

Back