advertisement

Air con and working from home

In the mid-70s my father's architectural practice designed and supervised the building of the Blue Souq in Sharjah. When the model was sent out for approval, the ruler liked the design so much that he had it doubled in size (from two to four modules, one of which is in the photo here https://universes.art/en/art-destinations/sharjah/other-places/central-souk ) and relocated to a prominent position between the new airport (also under construction at the time) and the planned downton area - when the souq was finished, it was just sitting alone in the middle of the desert.

My father told me that it often got so hot on his site visits as to make the site office uninhabitable, so he and his colleagues (quantity surveyor, engineer etc) would get into their rented, air-conditioned Toyota saloon and just drive around for a couple of hours to cool down !

Coincidentally, I was invited on a golf trip to the UAE last November and took time off to visit the souq, the model for which had always been my favourite as a schoolboy. One trip to the UAE was enough for me, but that's another story, although the golf courses were good.

I've no idea what safe temperatures are but I thought 33 was incredibly hot today. Isn't 44 dangerous?

It depends on the relative humidity, apparently if the humidity is 100% and the temperature is 35C the body cannot lose enough heat and heat stress and death will follow, at 46C at 50% corresponds to a wet bulb temp of 35C. I remember a couple of years ago two soldiers died of heat stress training on a hot day, so physical exertion obviously has a role, basically if it’s hot and humid, just chill!.

advertisement

Back