advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

A doc in the Times a couple weeks ago recommended brushing your teeth whilst balanced on one leg.

One broken toilet seat, two ripped shower curtains and a broken tap later I’m giving up...
I guess if they were falsies balancing them on one leg in order to clean them would be much easier.

I'm gearing up for a long innings as old age runs in the male side of my Mum's family, all of which were never ill including her. I'm the same, since I had my tonsils out as a kid I can't remember ever being ill.

My job keeps me active and supple, I will try my best to keep that way when retirement eventually comes as I've seen how my Dad has gone down hill physically since he finished work. He's only 73 but to me it seems like he has the physical capabilities of someone in their mid 80s.

My job keeps me active and supple, I will try my best to keep that way when retirement eventually comes as I've seen how my Dad has gone down hill physically since he finished work. He's only 73 but to me it seems like he has the physical capabilities of someone in their mid 80s.

This was one of the reasons I went back to work after eight months of retirement. At times I felt I was giving up.

amazing thread , so interesting to see folks experiences . apart from pulling my back sometimes i am pretty fit [ now allergic to heavy hi fi !!! ] i am still working flat out 6 days a week and just about have sundays off , just . keeps me fit , pfm is a lifesaver mentally

You know, reading some of these tales makes me want to retire much sooner, not later, and enjoy life frugally, rather than working my ass off to buy stuff I don't need. My goal is still to retire from the rat race at 55, but only if I can fill my days with fulfilment and discovery (of the good kind) rather than vegetation and daytime tv....

You know, reading some of these tales makes me want to retire much sooner, not later, and enjoy life frugally, rather than working my ass off to buy stuff I don't need. My goal is still to retire from the rat race at 55, but only if I can fill my days with fulfilment and discovery (of the good kind) rather than vegetation and daytime tv....

I made it out at 58, not a day too soon. I don't even live that frugally, because paying off the mortgage, and the savings on commuting costs reduced my outgoings to the extent that the drop in income was (almost) offset by the drop in outgoings.

I vegetate a bit, but have so far managed to avoid daytime TV.

Luckily for me, our mortgages are already paid off (home and the holiday let), wife's endowment (which she kept on) matures in a few years, no borrowings, car and van owned outright, money in t'bank and some modest investments, so I think I'm roughly on-track, but two sons (one just about to start secondary school, one in his third year there) might end up being two uni spongers for a bit in a few years time, so my financial situation could get a bit iffy before I hit the target date :/ I just admire people who live their lives rather than the majority (myself included, I daresay) who seem to live to work to live. I already have too much stuff, though it's mostly good stuff, and what I lack most of all is time....

One of my workmates suffered a stroke about five years ago. He was in his mid-30s. Then a couple of weeks ago, against drs orders, he was on his Peloton bike and had a heart attack. He died twice. Has a young kiddie, a demanding wife, and what sounds like a defibrillator permanently fitted.

He’s 41.
Poor chap, hope things improve for him soon.

I don’t have heart trouble but I do have lung damage... related to medications/chemotherapy for severe arthritis, I’m 37 and I'm feeling (physically) old. I really need to be back at the gym and in the baths to re-gain my fitness. I have to work extra hard to keep fit and for the last year, that option has been taken from me.:(

advertisement

Back