advertisement

Ageing. It's a Bugger....

to be attended by a nurse called Denise.

I already spotted a couple of very visually arresting nurses when I was there yesterday, so here's hoping. On the other hand though.. I will have to try to be on my best behaviour when the time comes. You see.. I don't know if this is commonplace, or just me.. but whenever I am coming around from any sort of anaesthetic or sedation..any female I see seems like a Goddess and I instantly fall for her... God only knows what I have uttered in those situations, before I'm fully conscious again..:eek:

apparently it smokes all the rest :D

It certainly resinates with me...:cool:

I already spotted a couple of very visually arresting nurses when I was there yesterday, so here's hoping. On the other hand though.. I will have to try to be on my best behaviour when the time comes. You see.. I don't know if this is commonplace, or just me.. but whenever I am coming around from any sort of anaesthetic or sedation..any female I see seems like a Goddess and I instantly fall for her... God only knows what I have uttered in those situations, before I'm fully conscious again..:eek:

It certainly resinates with me...:cool:

I remember getting a body cast fitted and was heavily medicated as it was to be the first time I was vertical in three months.
Apparently I acquired a large expansion in my vocabulary that a 19th century poet would have been proud of:D.
I was actually pretty relieved as it could have gone rather downhill.
I was vaguely aware of those supporting me having a really good laugh!

Is Denise’s surname Brown, and does she have kids?

because knees ops have traditionally been the preserve of Mother Brown
Blimey Sue, with that level of twisted opaque punnery I’m worried you may be at the start of the road I am lost on. Do your friends smile at you weakly whilst walking backwards quickly yet?

They’ve been doing that for years. Always try not to let me get between them and the door.

My The Wife just ignores my punnets.

My new approach is to keep repeating my hilarious quip until I get some acknowledgment for making an effort. Attainment is another matter.

Right! Stop that!

On a sensible note. I have two questions for those who have been fortunate enough to undergo Total Knee Replacements.

1. Were you advised to do knee strengthening exercises before the surgery? I was before my cartilage op 40 years ago, but so far nothing has been said re: the knee replacement. Obviously I shall ask them ASAP, but I never underestimate the powers of the PFM Massive when it comes to advice. You'd think it would be a good idea, but at present, the pain I experience is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend standing or walking... so not sure that anything other than complete rest is going to help.

2. Pre the Op..did you get referred pain? At present my left knee is much more painful than the right, although it was the right which was initially slated for replacement... and the pain travels down my calf and into my foot.Bending the knee is very painful. I'm guessing it stems from a 'small effusion in the suprapatellar bursa' seen by the radiologist...and wondering if it needs a steroid injection.

'Talk to the Organ Grinder.....'

After two days of trying on and off.. yesterday I got through to Wrightington Hospital.. where I'm on the list for knee surgery.

I asked if I could get 'interim' treatment for my Left Knee. Reason being that while my Right knee was reason for initial referral and is definitely 'shot' my, Left Knee has become even more painful... keeping me awake all night etc. However the left knee pain seems to be coming from some sort of soft tissue injury, or a bursitis.. which, unlike bone, might respond to something like a cortisone injection. What I got was a very curt reply to the effect that I needed another referral from my own Doc..which makes no sense to me, and was then promptly disconnected.That really didn't fit wiith Wrightington's excellent 'rep'.

So, today I dug around and got the email address of the Secretary of the Professor whose team is doing my surgery. I had promised to email them my Cardiology report... so I 'tacked' my question about treatment onto the end of that. Within less than half an hour, the Secretary had put my question to the Surgeon, who agreed to the injection so long as three months before, or after, surgery...because Steroids can limit immunity to infection. She went on to promise a clinic appointment for me as soon as possible, to get the jab done.

Result.

Mull, I'm sorry you've having such a long wait. Things seem to have slowed right down at Wrightington, I'm assuming because of covid. I should have had at least two check ups in the last eighteen months but I've heard nothing.

Right! Stop that!

On a sensible note. I have two questions for those who have been fortunate enough to undergo Total Knee Replacements.

1. Were you advised to do knee strengthening exercises before the surgery? I was before my cartilage op 40 years ago, but so far nothing has been said re: the knee replacement. Obviously I shall ask them ASAP, but I never underestimate the powers of the PFM Massive when it comes to advice. You'd think it would be a good idea, but at present, the pain I experience is directly proportional to the amount of time I spend standing or walking... so not sure that anything other than complete rest is going to help.

2. Pre the Op..did you get referred pain? At present my left knee is much more painful than the right, although it was the right which was initially slated for replacement... and the pain travels down my calf and into my foot.Bending the knee is very painful. I'm guessing it stems from a 'small effusion in the suprapatellar bursa' seen by the radiologist...and wondering if it needs a steroid injection.
Re. question 1. Mull - Yes, I was given some knee exercises before my op. As you're in the mood to go direct to the main man, might be good to ask the question. Here in Suffolk, I can refer direct to the physios, and they're the folk you need to see. Of course, it'll be down to your own medical status as to whether rest, gentle exercise, or something more vigorous is appropriate.

wow Captain Kirk going into space !!! :D awesome

hope i can do that at his age

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58885555

Hollywood actor William Shatner will later become the oldest person to go to space when he takes a ride in the Blue Origin sub-orbital capsule.

The 90-year-old, who played Captain James T Kirk in the Star Trek films and TV series, says he is looking forward to seeing Earth from a new perspective.

He will blast off from the Texas desert with three other individuals.

His trip aboard the rocket system, developed by Amazon.com founder Jeff Bezos, should last about 10 minutes.

Mr Shatner will get to experience a short period of weightlessness as he climbs to a maximum altitude just above 100km (60 miles). He will also be able to see the curvature of the Earth through the capsule's big windows.

Just saw the highlights and interview with William Shatner. He was clearly overwhelmed by the experience! Amazing!

If you have knee issues I recommend the "knees over toes guy" on the internet. He suggests walking backwards on a treadmill as a start.

.......just curious to know how this will help you get to the shops?
By stopping your knees hurting?

Or was it a joke? If it was a joke I would point out that walking forwards on a treadmill wouldn't get you any closer to the shops either!

advertisement

Back